Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nate ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 05:48PM

I just read the Nauvoo Expositor for the first time. I have to say it reads more like an intervention than an accusation. Sure the writers had been mistreated but the way I read it they want their case to be heard by Joseph and Hyrum, they would like to courts to be impartial, and they want polygamy to end. There was no call to oust JS and Hyrum from leadership, nor was there any call to harm anyone at all.

In my mind the true colors of JS and Hyrum were on display, it was an overreaction to destroy the press, and I think shows that JS and Hyrum were at wits end and knew that all hell was about to break loose.

It reminds me of the prior presidential administration and how they responded to some of the reports about WMDs in Iraq.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 05:59PM

It was more restrained than what I had expected as well. My impression though (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that this was the first time that many people in the community formally learned about the misdeeds of Joseph Smith and his cohort. I believe that the articles in The Expositor sparked a quiet but growing outrage.

Posted by: ElysianNevermo ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 06:52PM

Where can I find a link to this?

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 07:01PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 24, 2011 09:28PM

http://www.cephasministry.com/lds_nauvoo_expositor_june_7_1844.html

skip down to
"It is a notorious fact, that many females in foreign climes," for the exposure of polygamy with a description of how it was handled for unsuspecting immigrant women.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.