Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 02:50AM

I have just blogged at notamormon about Sister Beagley and her cry for 'help.'

Linking to blogs isn't allowed, so I'll just do a re-cap:

It's my recollection that Sister Beagley went on the Dr Phil Show to brag about her child rearing methods. It was only later that it mysteriously transmogrified into a 'plea for help.'

Anyone else notice this?

Sister Beagley wasn't the first Mormon found guilty of hot sauce torture.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 02:56AM

In fact, I was under the impression she sent in the video because she was pleased with her child rearing techniques, until everyone in the audience and on the stage reacted with horror, shock and outrage. I also noticed that her mother was as stoic as a rock -- leading me to wonder how much of the abuse she condoned as perfectly acceptable.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 03:21AM

Agree!! I was 'fortunate' enough to watch it twice. Yeah...she started out very cocky and thought she deserved a standing ovation for her brilliant discipline tactics. But very quickly she decided she was on the show to get help. And her mother's reactions were weird. And the audiences reactions must have made her look stupid,and she figured she better change her attitude. She made me want to puke.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 04:10AM

My TBM ex regularly used Tabasco sauce in the mouth to punish my son for "lying." Lying consisted of things like saying he had vacuumed the living room floor when she found that he'd missed a spot behind a chair. She later upgraded to Cayenne pepper.

For the record this was after the divorce and I was not in the home. Found out about it afterward.

Posted by: Matt nli ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 11:03AM

Glad you found out. That's evil.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 11:14AM

Posted by: Matt nli ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 11:30AM

JoD3:360

You could have a point...

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 11:31AM

Anyone who was able to read her blog before she put a "friends only" lock on it would have noticed the tone of her blog - a group photo of them all dressed in white, standing before a temple - was very definitely a glossy picture of how wonderful she and her family were.

NOTHING about the behavior problems of her kids or ANYTHING that could be thought of asking for help with a difficult situation.

I personally believe she "walked on water" in her own circle in Alaska, and wanted to bring her "I train up my children" act to a national level, to "glorify" herself and the church.

I think she may have had a copy of that vile book "To Train Up a Child" by Michael Pearls and significantly misjudged the public support she would have for extreme punishment methods.

I KNOW she was very, very, very surprised at the tears and horror of the audience. The minute she heard the word "abuse" she knew she was in hot water, and from a tight-lipped "That's YOUR opinion" to Dr. Phil, she turned on a dime, and assumed a meek "I'm asking for help" attitude.

Date: August 25, 2011 11:49AM

I won't be watching that Dr. Phil clip again to confirm this, but towards the end I have a memory of her saying to the audience/Dr. Phil that she came on the show for "help" and they were wrong to judge her.

At that moment I thought "She's a sociopath" - instead of taking responsibility for her actions, she succeeds (to some extent) in flipping the situation around to shaming the audience for their response - they are the "bad" ones for "judging" her.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I read an Alaskan jury convicted her. She is a sly one, and I thought her church affiliations would impress the jury as well. I guess "I'm LDS" does not carry the prestige she thought it would.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 11:56AM

I read her blog, too. I remember one entry she posted on the boys' birthdays. She wrote about how one boy had to wait for his birthday because of his "bad choices". There were subtle clues that she had discipline issues with Kristoff, but it was overall a very glossy blog, designed to make it look like they were the most functional family ever.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 11:57AM

The other thing this evil bitch did was to actually state she *felt inspired* that one of the boys should have been in her family when they were looking to adopt.

Unfortunatly since the boy was a twin, they came as a package for adoption, so guess which boy she is having all the problems with??? Yep, you got it. The "good" twin has no problems, only the "bad" twin.

Its typical for a child who is abused and doesn't feel loved to misbehave in school. No suprise. Kids aren't stupid and this bitch has probably made it known to this boy he wasn't wanted like his brother was. Heck, she said so on National TV. I wanted to punch her in the face. What an asshat!

The Russians are seriously pissed over this, so there's a good chance this bitch will get time on Monday at her sentencing.

I hope they throw the book at her and get the twins out of there. I agree that she went on the show to show off what a great parent she is. Well, she found out.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 12:01PM

Is this the 'hot sauce lady'?

I know I am way behind here, but I never read the details of what she would do.

Can someone give me a brief synopsis?

Thanks

Date: August 25, 2011 07:27PM

She 'disciplined' a 7 year old child by forcing hot sauce into his mouth, then forcing him to take a freezing cold shower. In Alaska, mind.

Date: August 25, 2011 12:01PM

Sorry for my obsessive posting on this subject. I read an Alaskan blog that was pro-Beagley and they were framing the trial as a "religious freedom" and "government interfering with parents rights" - both hot button topics.

So again, I was surprised Sister Beagley got her hands slapped. I hope it sends shock waves all across Alaska. Child abuse is at some of the highest levels in the nation, and I am glad the jury took a hard line with her. I hope shock waves are reaching Utah as well.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 12:25PM

Wasn't this forever ago?

Date: August 25, 2011 02:04PM

The episode aired in November 2010. Jessica Beagley was just convicted in court the other day and faces sentencing Monday.

Date: August 25, 2011 07:28PM

knotheadusc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The episode aired in November 2010. Jessica
> Beagley was just convicted in court the other day
> and faces sentencing Monday.

I hope they jail her. And that all of her children are put in a place of safety. Anyone who could make her ten-year-old child torture another child is wicked, IMO.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 09:04PM

Just curious--I never heard that part.

Date: August 26, 2011 08:24AM

The ten year old is the one who filmed the abuse. Did the ten year old also help in the punishments? Seems like I heard that when all the fuss started last November, but my memory is a little fuzzy.

Date: August 26, 2011 02:36AM

Date: August 25, 2011 07:27PM

anon123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wasn't this forever ago?

No. And what difference would that make?

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 10:25AM

Disgusting. It really made me sick to watch. She was SO ANGRY. And HOT SAUCE? Cold shower? He was 5 at the time? My God, she doesn't know the difference between punishment and abuse. This crossed the line. It was cruel and unusual.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.