Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedrive ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 07:46PM

We received a call from a dear friend in our hometown today. She is serving as the Gospel Doctrine teacher in her Ward and after trying and trying to make the square peg fit into the round hole she's done. She just can't bend her mind around what she is supposed to teach and what she learned growing up in the church and as a result has turned to the evil Internet for help. And what do you suppose she found?

Answers. And lots of them.

And not church approved answers either.

She knows about the origins of the temple and why we have garments. She's learned about polygamy and how it correlates to D&C 132. She read up on the Nauvoo Expositor and knows why Joseph Smith was in jail. All of the deep secrets have been exposed. And she can't do a thing about it.

He went to her TBM husband for help and mentioned that she was struggling with her calling and instead of listening and being supportive he asked her if she was having an affair because people just don't question the church unless they've sinned. She had nowhere to turn until she remembered the scandal when my wife and I left the church many years ago. So she called today for advice and a shoulder to cry on.

She knows that her husband could leave her if she resigns. Her father is in Stake leadership. Her family is one of the stallwarts in the area- the ones who always have room for one more at the table, the ones who feed the missionaries when nobody else will, the ones who pay on the gross instead of the net, and the ones who are always in important and responsible callings. That is her family. And she's risking it all because her shelf collapsed.

I referred her to this grand world of RFM and told her to read the bio's and story board. Maybe she'll venture in here and meet all of us sometime. Hopefully.

But thanks to the correlation committee and the dumbing down of the lessons and materials she has opened her eyes and is no longer afraid of some angry, vengeful God.

Keep up the good work fellas (because we know that there probably aren't ladies in that dept) because every time you think you've succeeded you actually fail. And there are more and more just like her who are waiting for their time to step away and never return.

Oh, yea. She won't be paying any more tithing from now on so you can kiss away the $30,000+ you were counting on next year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 08:02PM

Maybe it IS a trend. "Lost Mystic" reports someone turning to him for similar support!

Posted by: Elizabeth, my temple name ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 08:20PM

Sounds familiar to me, as I was a Gospel Doctrine teacher and saw the light after 58 years of total TBMness. It was the church history that started my quest and sparked my research.

I know another Gos Doc instructor who is heading down the same path. I believe those who teach from the current manuals and have a background of gospel teachings from decades of activity know there is something missing.

Mostly the truth.

It is a shock to the system and can inflict personal pain for years. Thankfully my TBM husband doesn't interfere with my research or my desire not to attend.

I wish her well.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 08:30PM

This is a link to the old Bio board where there are a LOT more stories. It is hard to find, I had a heck of a time and I know it is there!
http://www.exmormon.org/boards/w-agora/index.php?bn=exmobb_biography

We are trying to get them all moved over but it is slow going.

PS - Teaching GD seems to be the first step out for quite a few.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 08:31PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 09:02PM

Never thought I'd say that. haha

Posted by: stubby ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 10:48PM

Sounds like me many years ago. Best of luck to your friend.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 25, 2011 10:53PM

I was in the Primary presidency and getting ideas on the internet for a lesson when I stumbled on to the truth. I'm glad your friend did all that reading. It will help her feel confident that she is right in the face of what sounds like some real opposition she will be facing. I agree with stubby - best of luck to your friend. It's better out here in the land of freedom.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 04:48PM

I thought it was just me out there in the lone and dreary world, until I met fellow exmo travelers. A large segment of the people I met 20 years ago who had left had been Gospel Doctrine teachers when the light came on.

I seriously believe that is THE reason the manuals have been so dumbed down and why no outside sources are allowed. As this thread demonstrates, this approach has its own problems.

Karma's a bitch

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.