Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 12:54AM

Has there ever been a President of the LDS Church who was not either (1) a Mormon polygamist, or (2) a descendant of a Mormon polygamist?

I don't know the answer for certain, but I'm inclined to think that there never has been.

I don't know the details of Monson's "pioneer heritage," but I would bet that it includes the standard polygamist heritage--either on his father's side or on his (Condie) mother's side.

I'm not aware of any Mormon prophet who was not either a polygamist or just a couple of generations downline from a polygamist grandpappy.

If anyone knows of an exception to this rule, I'd like to know. Seems like this could be an interesting "Mormon Fun Fact." It seems particularly relevant because it appears that younger Mormons are not being taught anything about the polygamous past of Mormonism and are starting to believe that it was never really a significant part of the Church's teachings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 01:07AM

Another Benson question. Have at it Steve!

Posted by: Grubby Gert ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 01:23AM

i bet you're right

i was having a very similar discussion recently with someone i had just met thru my extended (mormon) family and she was asking about (what else!?!?) polygamy

i told her that even tho the current church tries to make it sound like polygamy is ancient history the older mormons (the ones in charge of everything) aren't very far removed from polygamy at all

my ex wife's grandfather, for example, prominently displays artifacts from his polygamous progenetors in his home

his mother is the child of a mainstream (altho on the down low) LDS polygamous marriage and was alive until about 10 years ago so for my ex and her siblings (who are in their late 20s thru 30s) polygamy was very much a part of their mormon experience - they tell the stories about how this that and the other wives lived in whichever houses around the block from each other and during their family reunions they visit all of the graves

the generation coming of age right now tho is probably the first mainstream LDS generation to not feel any sort of connection to polygamy at all

but for the really old mormons - the manifesto era polygamists are probably only like their grandparents and great grandparents

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 02:13AM

"but for the really old mormons - the manifesto era polygamists are probably only like their grandparents and great grandparents"

Yeah, really old exMormons too, my grandmother was raised in polygamy.

I feel even older after that remark!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 07:59AM

I was born during the administration of the first LDS president who had NOT been a polygamist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.