Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 05:53AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsoutofcontext/52418384-64/huntsman-trib-utah-hatch.html.csp

pretty sure you can't believe in evolution and be mormon, mr. huntsman!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 06:03AM

Is like trying to nail Jello to the wall. There have been many Mormon scholars, including at least one church president, Joseph Fielding Smith, who've denounced evolution. Bruce R. McConkie's works are often cited here, but there was a bit of controversy in how much the First Presidency endorsed his claims.

What is clear is the modern LDS Church is quite vague and circumspect on the subject. David O. McKay was a believer in evolution, as was James Talmage. On the other hand, three BYU professors were fired for teaching the subject in the early part of the 20th Century.

Hmmm, first time I haven't seen an infestation of "Mormonites" in Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_views_on_evolution

My guess at this point is the majority of LDS do not believe in evolution, but the church would rather not have publicity drawn to the subject because of its unflattering history.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 07:07AM

I did when I was TBM.
BYU now has a reknowned anthropaleontology (human fossils) program, ironic since in the 1920's they fired professors for teaching evolution. I'm too lazy to find it, but I read a BYU professor's defense of evolution, including that in every course he teaches he has to deal with a certain number of students who thought evolution was against church teachings or who don't believe in it themselves because of their mormon beliefs.
But in 1920 it really was "just a theory". Since then theres been a revolution in genetics (discovery of DNA), and there are alot more fossils (National Geographic has a story this month on yet another "missing link", or more correctly stated a transitional form, fossil).
I've heard mormons argue with each other about evolution, and based on occasional statements in church and casual conversation over the years, my wild guess is that about a third of mormons accept evolution, a third never think about it, and a third reject it.
I also think it depends on education.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 26, 2011 12:14PM

It is also possible for educated TBMs working in the science fields to believe that evolution can apply to animals and bacteria, but not to humans!
You just have to compartmentalize.
librarian

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.