Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DeusExMalcontent ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 01:56PM

My TBM brother is a single father and has a young daughter who is not yet able to use a restroom unsupervised. So, naturally, he sometimes has to take her in the men's room when it's unoccupied.

A few days ago, he gets a voicemail message from the Bishop that the bish has "received reports" that he was taking his daughter into the men's room, that this was "inappropriate," and that he would need to find a "sister" to take her to the women's room.

In other words, my bro is supposed to do some variation of the following...

"Hello sister molly. The Bishop says it's inappropriate for me to take my daughter to the restroom. Could you do it for me?"

The "one true church" is truly a stooooopid place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:00PM

...of those who thought it was inappropriate so he can ask THEM to take his daughter to the ladies room.

"Hello, Sister Uptight. My daughter needs to poop. Be sure to wipe her well."

Posted by: alight ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 05:59PM

haha XD

-Ali

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:06PM

WTF! Ugggh it's crap like that that's a daily reminder of why I don't trust Mormon's and their fake niceness..that's absolutely ridiculous. Who has a sick enough mind to find that inappropriate?

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:08PM

Really? REALLY?! I have *never* had an issue with someone taking their child into the restroom, whether or not the child is of the appropriate gender, nor have I heard of anybody having an issue with it.

What is wrong with these people?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:11PM

that is so inappropriate.

I doubt a single woman with a young boy using the women's rest room would give it a second thought . I see it in public restrooms all the time. Why not the other way around? Is it because there are urinals ?

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:20PM

Don't go to the LDS Corp Pretend Church any more - Problem solved.

Posted by: Jesus the Smoke ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:20PM

He needs to say "no way" to having another member of the ward take his daughter into the womens room. He should tell the bishop that either he provides a bathroom for this type of situation....a single father or mother taking an opposite sex child into a restroom....or he'll contact the local paper and get a story going about it.

He is under no obliation to trust anyone at church alone with his child, and to be expected....commanded....by his bishop to do so, would be thought inappropriate by the non-mormon community....I would think.

I was a single dad for years....not TBM though....I'd have told the bishop to tell those that feel its inappropriate to stop having inappropriate thoughts about me and my daughter.....tell them to pull their brainwashed heads out of the gutter long enough for my kid to use the bathroom for Pete's sake!

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 06:30PM

My old stake center got a family (or handicapped) bathroom in one of its renovations. great for taking a kid to the washroom.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:24PM

But it's okay for Bishops to interview underage children behind closed doors without their parents while asking them invasive, embarassing and potentially traumatic questions about the most sensitive side of their lives?

Yeaaaah, riiiight.

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 02:26PM

Well said charles!!

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 03:18PM

...when I'm standing there in a public restroom using the urinal and some newly empowered daddy brings in his female children, it pisses me off.

Seems like they could at least take a look first before they barge in, then wait until the room clears before bringing in the girls.

Rather than ask a "sister" to do the dirty work, they could ask one of their understanding brothers (any of you, perhaps, who think this is okay) to stand guard outside, and warn people like me who find it disturbing.

It would still piss me off to have to wait, but at least I wouldn't be caught with my pants down.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 03:21PM

OP said "when the room is unoccupied"

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 03:26PM

Posted by: DeusExMalcontent ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 03:35PM

I'll mention it to him.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 03:22PM

Someone quoted a while back (about the members who remain in TSCC)

"When the disgusted leave, only the disgusting are left."

I guess the poor man is dealing with the disgusting being disgusted!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 04:40PM

"When the disgusted leave, only the disgusting are left."

LOL!!! That is awesome!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 03:24PM

The Church bends over backwards to avoid the very appearance of evil.

Unfortunately they don't bend over backwards to avoid the very appearance of stupidity.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 31, 2011 04:33PM

Years ago, when our kids were just babies, we went to temple square. I asked DH to change the baby's diaper, while I took the toddler to the bathroom. When I returned, he handed me the baby and said "You'll have to do the changing - there isn't a changing table in there." So I asked him why he didn't find another men's room and he said he asked at the information desk and the woman seemed truly puzzled. She said none of the men's rooms on temple square had changing tables. When it came time to fill out the feedback card, even though I was very TBM, I filled the card out as if I was non-LDS and mentioned something like "I thought you were a FAMILY church - why aren't there changing tables in the men's room. This makes me think the rumors that Mormonism keeps women barefoot and pregnant must be true."

It seems like they should have one of those "family" bathrooms somewhere in the building. In the ward house in our town, there is a men's room and a women's room that are single user rooms right by the chapel so that a dad can take his daughter to the bathroom, or mom can take her son, in privacy. Instead of having to go down the hall to the multi-user, stall bathroom, I mean, and I think it should be that way in all church buildings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.