Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 06:57AM

Well, my day started out a little crumby because I made a nice breakfast--early enough to be eaten before church. I said, "husband....there's some XXX ready."

He didn't even look up from the computer, but just said, "humph." That's when I (stupidly) realized it was Fast Sunday. He didn't say, "Oh, it's Fast Sunday, but thanks for thinking about me." or "Oh, I appreciate that, but I can't this morning. Fast Sunday..." Just a "humph."

That started me off in the wrong direction. I had MANY errands I'd planned on finishing since it was time change and I thought I'd beat the crowds. Stupidly--again, I went to four different places, all which were closed until a bit later in the day. I was really laughing at that because it was pretty funny.

But my last trip was to the grocery store, where I was caught in a bind with two people crashing up the left side of the aisle and a person on the right which made my cart hit into her ankle. It was my fault, but sort of not. I appologized profusely, and she yelled, "I'll get over it!" in a loud and mean way. Three different times.

I know this sounds childish, but it just really cemented the tone of the day for me. And, I know this is really ridiculous, but, I started looking around the store, wondering if all the "nice" people were in church. I drove home thinking that a day of reflection and worship is a rather good thing, and that everyone should chill out a bit. But they certainly weren't doing it in that grocery store. And I started looking at the drivers, wondering if they were good people or if all the good people were in church.

I know---irrational, but that's how I was feeling yesterday. And this is after several years now of being "away" from church. When am I going to get over this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 07:07AM

dimmesdale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He didn't even look up from the computer, but just
> said, "humph." That's when I (stupidly) realized
> it was Fast Sunday. He didn't say, "Oh, it's Fast
> Sunday, but thanks for thinking about me." or "Oh,
> I appreciate that, but I can't this morning. Fast
> Sunday..." Just a "humph."
how ungrateful! boy i would be jumping for joy if my wife got up on sunday and made me breakfast =)

> right which made my cart hit into her ankle. It
> was my fault, but sort of not. I appologized
> profusely, and she yelled, "I'll get over it!" in
> a loud and mean way. Three different times.
this could have happened on any day of the week. this lady could have been mormon herself. you could easily crashed into a mormon on any other day and gotten the same reaction.

think about what you are asking: "were *all the good people* in church on sunday?"

nuff said =)

i hope your week goes better than yesterday =) you should tell your husband straight up how you feel:
honey, i made you breakfast yesterday, and even though i forgot it was your fast sunday, i was hurt that you didnt acknowledge my effort and good intentions =(

then return and report... =)

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:09AM

Do you live in Utah? Just wondering.

I don't. I shop on Sundays and find it a pretty pleasant experience.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 11:35AM

(and I was a TBM at the time), I was at a department store in Provo and purchased a lovely but breakable item. The clerk was a friend of my daughter's (college age) and I made some crack about how it would probably break because I bought it on a Sunday.

Her reposnse was - "Oh, don't think of it as breaking a commandment -- think of it as visiting the bored and the lonely!"

I loved that response and thought of it every time I chose to "break the sabbath"!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 03:52PM

Exmo Mom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you live in Utah? Just wondering.
>
> I don't. I shop on Sundays and find it a pretty
> pleasant experience.

I love shopping on Sundays. I live in a community that is mostly LDS so the stores are wonderfully empty on Sundays. It is most pleasant.

Sorry you had a bad day. That was crappy of your husband and you should express your feelings about that to him.

Hope this week is better!

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 09:07AM

It has made me really wonder if all the smart, well dressed people are in church.

Posted by: Summer ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 09:23AM

After all, she could have been cursing you out. She was in a lot of pain, and when that happens, there's nothing to do but to wait for it to die down. But you kept pestering her by apologizing "profusely" when a short, "Gosh, I'm so sorry, are you okay?" would have covered it. Next time when someone is in pain like that, just walk away and let them deal with it. There is nothing further you can do.

I think that part of the problem is that merchants have, in many cases, narrowed store aisles and crammed merchandise more closely together. It makes navigating through stores very difficult.

I like Nick's suggestion for talking to your husband about your feelings regarding his behavior.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 11:21AM

If you want a Sunday of worship and reflection stay away from the Mormon church, especially on Fast Sundays.

You have been away too long to remember what torture they were LOL.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 02:21PM

I don't live in Utah, so I've found that there are plenty of nice people also shopping on Sundays. There is even a really nice farmer's market that is only held on Sundays that I love to shop at.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 04:04PM

Shopping on Sunday is the worse day of the week. It seems to be catch-up day for thousands of people. It's RUSH RUSH RUSH! It's family shopping day, dad's day out with the kids (while working moms clean house and do laundry), it's visitation day for Dad's in divorce cases, and on and on.
I try to stay away from shopping on Sunday!

Don't get me started on the ridiculous merchandising in the store! Merchants are making it almost impossible for two way traffic in the isles. Cardboard displays are blocking isles also.
DUMB DUMB DUMB!

I fix the same diabetic breakfast for hubby every day, but when he shows up to eat is a... surprise! I don't know how many times I have said: " I am not a short order cook"~!
:-)Now I say, It's ready, eat it when it's hot, nor not, It's not my breakfast! :-)

When I go to Utah, I love to shop on Sundays! Some of the stores are practically empty! Love it!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 09:12PM

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 04:13PM

I love to shop on Sunday mornings in Texas! The Baptists are dressed to the 9's and on their best behavior, the Mormons are in church (not enough wards for afternoon church) and we lazy, Catholic sinners slum it jeans and t's with the non-believing normal folks (and go to 5 pm Mass on Saturday or Sunday). The only problem is that here in Texas, the liquor stores are all closed! Dang it's getting hard to be a proper redneck in a red state!

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 05:49PM

I do hope things improve as the week goes on.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.