Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 02:59PM

I have to drive 3 1/2 hours to play music for a lousy 30 minutes. But I accepted it so that I could see the city where the event takes place. I'll have to spend the night, too. So I says to DW, I says, "You're going along, right? I mean, you keep saying you want to go there. Now's you chance." And she says, "I'd really love to go there finally. But I have a Relief Society presidency meeting, so I can't. Augh. I wish I could go, but I can't. Dang." So I say, "It's only one of dozens of meetings. Just don't go. Tell someone you won't be able to make it because you'll be out of town." "No, I can't," she says. "It's a presidency meeting; I have to be there." Okay. Whatever. Her loss.

Does this ever happen to anyone else? Like, a family member had a birthday, but no one could go because it would have meant missing fast and testimony meeting, or something equally ridiculous? There's a chance to visit a grandchild, but instead your spouse has to play piano at a baptism?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2010 03:00PM by cludgie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Truth Without Fear ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 03:11PM

No, your spouse intervened.

She made a choice.

She chose to attend a R.S. meeting rather than strengthen your marriage.

Not good. At all.

You owe it to yourself to tell her how you feel as well as venting here.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 04:11PM

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 04:32PM

I dunno - maybe she is actually trying to get out of going with you - maybe she would like some time to herself as well. Sometimes a little distance is ok.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 04:39PM

She lives about a day's drive away from me and has done stuff like this all the time. Like left me too soon after an emergency c-section when I really needed her because she had to get home and get the visiting teaching stats finished. And more than once, has left a day or two before my birthday because of some church thing. She easily could have stayed if it weren't for the church. She's been retired for 20 years (early retirement) and she loves where my sister and I live. She'd prefer to be there, actually, if she could convince Dad to move. Except for church obligation. She plans around those - not her family.

Relief Society has so many meetings ... I wonder what is so special about this one for your wife. Well, she's missing out. I'd use any excuse to get out of a church meeting - even when I was TBM.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 05:14PM

time we could spend together was more valuable and prescious than any church meeting.

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 05:55PM

my parents blew off a trip to come see me because of, choir practice & a cannery trip.

you can go to choir practice every week and the damn cannery next month..but no, you can't see your daughter and her children...gotta attend your meetings!

what really upset me is that my parents weren't like that when they were raising me, they would have happily blown off choir practice for family then..

Posted by: npangel ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:52PM

Remember, a cult brainwashes it's members for "Total Control and Allegiance"...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.