Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 02:47PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/911-destruction-allowed-us-to-spiritually-rebuild/2011/09/08/gIQAbkjKCK_blog.html
I'd forgotten that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is participating in the 10 year 9/11 Anniversary, along with Tom Brokaw. Naturally, this was an opportune time to include some thoughts by Monson. (Or whoever wrote it; dunno how much thinking is done, or by whom). There are also reflections by Desmond Tutu and Deepak Chopra, among others.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 02:51PM

Shallow, uninspired, out-of-touch. There's my review.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 03:09PM

I'd say that about sums it up

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 03:19PM

of the crazy dude's motive for bombing the train in the movie "Source Code".

Seems like some religious folks like to capitalize on tragedy to pull people back to faith. But contrary to Monson's suggestion, the lesson I took from 9/11 was that religious extremism is dangerous.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 03:23PM

And didn't he say somewhere that we need to pay attention to God, the way he pays attention to us? In respect to 9/11, that would almost certainly be taken the wrong way by a lot of people. Because a lot of people feel God was looking away that day.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 04:17PM

CA Girl: "...a lot of people feel God was looking away that day."

That very thought came inadvertently into my head when I saw the planes fly into the buildings.

I was an active, committed Christian and had never questioned God before. It was a shock to hear that thought bouncing around in my head. I even blurted out "There is no God" as I watched the coverage.

That is not an expected or accepted reaction from a Christian, according to most believers I'd guess, but it was my honest feeling.

It's always tough to answer the big why questions but on that day and in the aftermath, with wounds still raw 10 years later, it's definitely a challenge to comprehend or accept it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 04:18PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 03:30PM

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 08:04PM

Monson isn't a profit anymore. His byline says he is president of the church. No more need to prophesy.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 01:00PM

Why does the byline say "President"? Yes, he is also the president; but isn't it interesting how Monson avoids identifying himself as a prophet in public, just as Hinckley did?

If Monson himself shrinks from claiming to be a prophet, why should Mormons believe him to be one?!

Posted by: just a thought ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 04:25PM

The spiritual lesson of 9/11 is "be more devoted to God"?

I think it's the exact opposite. If you find yourself flying an airplane into a building, murdering thousands of people, maybe you need to rethink your spiritual beliefs. That goes for all religions.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 05:42PM

just a thought Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you find yourself flying an airplane into a building,
murdering thousands of people, maybe you need to rethink your spiritual beliefs.

OK, at that point, too late.

But I get what you mean.

I saw a documentary/interview re Yusef Islam/Cat Stevens last night. He held certain beliefs for 25 yrs after he converted to Islam. Then he saw some things in a new light and so he changed some views again (primarily related to whether he could play music or not; he didn't do so for yrs and then had new thoughts on it so resumed singing/songwriting).

He said "If I learn something new, I move", which struck me as a good approach. He meant that he doesn't cling to a decision or belief no matter what developments occur within or without but that when he has new thoughts or insights or a change of attitude or circumstance he changes his views in light of the new info.

That is not weakness, as too many assert, but rather strength. If we could see change as a positive many of us may move more quickly to make better decisions for ourselves. When I realized that committing to Mormonism, or anything, wasn't necessarily written in stone, that it is always possible, understandable, advantageous, and allowable to change one's mind, that was the incentive I needed to take myself out of the Mormon Church. If I got stuck because of thinking that once decided, always decided (an all-too-common religious train of thought) I'd still be Mormon and who knows the depths of despair to which I'd have sunk by now (I felt very depressed in the church).

I think sticking to one line of thinking can be stultifying. The first step to more physical and intellectual freedom can be just the realization that change is "allowed", contrary to what many religious leaders try and teach.

Hopefully many of us figure it out long before the point of no return (such as extremism in the nth degree).

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 07:37PM

If anyone else beats them to it - like with treating blacks equally or supporting the ERA/ gay rights - they are "out of tune" and must be silenced somehow.

Humans learn and change. Some faster than others. The fact the CULT does change shows not that they are inspired, but that they got it so wrong originally. An inspired church would lead, not follow the "World".

Jesus' words stand today.Was he inspired? I guess. Did that come from God? Who knows....

What I do know is that the leaders of the CULT have never been.

Date: September 09, 2011 07:40PM

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 07:46PM

just a thought Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The spiritual lesson of 9/11 is "be more devoted
> to God"?

Funny, I think the Muslim extremists can get that same message. Be more devoted to god so you can accomplish THIS!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 05:48PM

fly planes into buildings and bomb transit systems cause they think some deity approves. Their core beliefs are no different from someone who thinks that 9-11 was resulted from a diety being angry at 'secular humanists and gays', or people who think their nation is the embodiment of what the diety wants for the world. All have the potential for evil, it just some who act on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 05:48PM by acerbicobserver.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 05:49PM

I see the Washington Post is continuing its series of pro-mormon garbage, err, articles.

Monson is sure that his Heavenly Father is softening his winters. I think that cushy feel comes from lots of tithing dollars, Tommy.

Monson's winters may be softened by money, by unearned respect, and by softening of the brain. But most other people are not feeling it.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 05:59PM

It's never been easier to function as a "prophet." No risky predictions. No scripture writing. No interviews.

Nothing to do but sign your name to a mediocre article about faith in hard times. And the article is ghost-written.

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 06:01PM

Is it just me or does the Washington Post seem very cooperative withe LDS church lately? I wonder if the paper is trying to help Romney by focusing postive press the LDS way?

Date: September 09, 2011 06:07PM

The Washington Post is not just very cooperative with the LDS Church, the newspaper has become a veritable arm of the LDS PR department.

The paper has published a couple dozen pro-mormon drool fests this year alone.

I must say, Tommy Monson's contribution is possibly the worst of the lot. Deadly boring. Horribly repetitive. stinking to high heaven of privilege, arrogance, and self-righteousness.

Someone should really find out who is paying for this pro-mormon propaganda. Money has changed hands, I'm sure.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 06:09PM

The thing I got from 9/11 was that it showed what religious fanatics are willing to do for their God, even going as far as to fly planes into buildings. I don't mean to get political, but my S/O is concerned that if a Mormon were to be elected President, he would take orders from Monson as he realizes how much influence the prophet/President has over the members in general. He saw how the Mormons got Prop H8 passed because they were ordered to do so by their local leaders who were getting their orders from SLC.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 06:26PM

My daughter's minister posted almost the same message, but worded quite a bit differently:

9/11 and a Way in Life

This Sunday marks the 10th Anniversary of the events of 9/11. All of us remember where we were when the towers fell, how we spent the day, and how we sought to connect with the people we love, whether they lived near or far. Disaster has a way of doing that: helping us to remember what is important and that the connections that we have in this life are of prime importance. Remember how we gathered in our churches the following Sunday? -- we were looking for even deeper connections as we sought solace from the One in Whom is all comfort. So now the anniversary. Here are a few suggestions for observing September 11:

1.Take Time to Remember - Remember where you were, who you were with, how you sought connection on that day. Our memories are a touchstone. As we remember thoughts and feelings rise in us, reminding us of the deep experience that day has had on us. On September 11, 2001, we all said and heard it said, Things will never be the same. Indeed, our memories and reflections will mark for us again how life is different for us since 9/11.

2.Take Time to Connect/Reconnect - Our connections to God and Neighbor add depth and character to life. On September 17, the Sunday following 9/11/2001 we came to church in almost unprecedented numbers seeking just such depth and character. No less do we need such connection today. So, come to church, 8:30 and 10:30 am, and if you wish to connect with our neighbors in the Santa Rosa Junior College Neighborhood come back to church at 4 pm for our second neighborhood coffee house.

3.Commit to Spiritual Practice - through spiritual practices and service we become who we are, the difference that we make in the world. What is spiritual practice? Let's make a list: 1) regular attendance at a religious service - here we practice our faith in community; 2) a time for prayer and reflection each day - here we touch deep on a regular basis; 3) adopt a mission project - here we attend to those whom Jesus called the least of these -- in the spirit of "the last shall be first," by attending to their needs we attend to Christ; 4) begin an unambiguous spiritual relationship -- a spiritual friend with whom you speak about the depth of life.

4.Foster a Willingness for Life - By remembering, connecting/reconnecting, and spiritual practice our stance towards life undergoes transformation. In the UCC we speak of an extravagant welcome. Certainly this means all whom we meet. However, I would like to extend this meaning. A truly extravagant welcome extends to our very lives. Rather than fantasizing about our lives as they might be if they were perfect, we can learn to welcome the lives that we have, particiapting in them, active and alive to Spirit/ Life as she presents herself to us. No less that orthodox theologian Ireaneus said, "The glory of God is a human being fulliy alive."

Politicians and pundits have told us for 10 years the meaning and importance of September 11. They will continue to do so, from all sides. We may agree or disagree. However, in this as in all events of our lives, there are seeds for transformation. This transformation will not be acheived through the posturing of the left or the right. Transformation is, finally, a matter of the heart -- individual and communal. Transformation will happen through the connections that hold us in God and in community. Finally the transformation of our hearts will lead us to a Way in life that Jesus taught. That way? Love God, Love Neighbor as Self. This transformation of heart will begin to change the whole world.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 09:32PM

Monson's message just came across as such a cliche and so typical of the routine message that most pastors, priests and other religious leaders fall into on such occasions. And here you are with the evidence. ;o)

Date: September 09, 2011 09:35PM

Comes across as having more thought behind it than Monson's--even though the basic themes are similar. I wouldn't be surprised if Monson didn't even write his. Probably some underling in the COB made a draft, then he reviewed it and suggested some minor comment changes--and now it's been published under his name.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 06:33PM

the MMM; same date (was the Last day of the Mormon siege against the travelors, the Last Day of most of their lives).

Oh; religious fanatics? Nothing new here folks, Move along.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 06:33PM

Date: September 09, 2011 06:41PM

LOL. Well said.

However, that may be an insult to boobs.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: September 09, 2011 07:06PM

Seriously, he can't even talk about a national tragedy without telling us to obey the commandments and pray. Really?

I was listening to a podcast last night and the interviewee mentioned that every church talk includes something that we need to do better. There's never just rejoicing in the gospel or Jesus. Every subject gets turned into a guilt tripping lecture about what we aren't doing right. That's where the f-ing Mormon guilt comes from -- straight from the pulpit.

Date: September 09, 2011 07:23PM

Date: September 09, 2011 09:28PM

not inspiring. You'd think that the only living Prophet, Seer and Revelator on earth who is authorized to act as God's mouthpiece to deliver God's message to the whole world could...uh... maybe come up with something with more content to it. Instead you get something that's pretty much the same as similarly themed articles that are probably being produced by various pastors, priests, rabbis and what not for tens of thousands of little weekly local congregation newsletters around the world--the kind of message that, while being inoffensive, doesn't demonstrate much depth of thought and probably could be written (or cut-and-pasted) and polished up within an hour or so.

Thanks for the big message, God. It's really great to have such an inspired prophet! Can he do Hallmark greeting cards too?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 12:52PM

It's like TSM is the Culmination of the years of training - conditioning of the line of 'Prophets' since/after BY; slowly but constantly Toned Down.

the ONLY Headlines (2) have rather been changes in Policies/Practice, NOT "Revelations".

'ending' polygamy
ending the PH / black denial-ban.

at the Same Time, other non-headline changes/clarifications have been swept under the rug; I'm thinking of:

-the innane matter of sexual modalities/positions (oral & anal)

-in the early 70s, they said that de-caf coffee was O.K. ...Who remembers that, what became of it?????

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.