Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 12:06PM

That's how Americans see things

right wing, left wing

moderate extreme

Hassidic Jews are still Jews

Polygamists are still Mormons

If I can figure this out in my bathrobe on a Saturday morning, why are the General Authorities so baffled that DESPITE their pearl-like utterances, the general public still thinks fundies are Mormons?

Anagrammy

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 12:20PM

I know right. Their incredulity is actually kind of funny. They seem so honestly baffled by this and feel like the anit-mormon satan machine has targeted them once again. If only we could get people to understand.

Hello, the fundamentalists mirror the early church much more that the big one in SLC. People just don't take the time to figure out all the details. We like to paint with a broad brush--mormons oaky, yeah, yeah some are ultra orthodox, some liberal, but all mormons at the end of the day. "Mainstream" ones hate this but good luck changing it.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 12:24PM

as far as the GAs go...
I think about 95% of it falls under the heading of Denial.

That's what they're Really experts at.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 12:26PM

compound. OMG, it looked exactly like a TSCC temple. Thank you Warren. Thank you. Ya made a wonderful looking temple there. Love the press too. Gotta make the Q15 cringe. As far as I'm concerned now, FLDS equals LDS equals nut jobs equals cult followers equals same ol' bull shiz. People aren't stupid.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 12:26PM

I hadn't thought about it that way before...good point Anagrammy!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 12:33PM

The view of the CoJCoLDS leaders is that they own the keys to the club and the copyright to the name, and if they say you're not in the club, then you're not, and you have no right to call yourself Mormons.

It's silly, of course, like claiming your wayward kid isn't yours.

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 12:57PM

I told my family the other night that when the church started it looked like the FLDS church not what mainstream Mormonism looks like today. We just wanted to keep all the sunshine and rainbows and none of the bad. At least the FLDS are up front with what they think!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 04:31PM

I reject the notion that Tommy Monson can make a declaration saying that Mormon Fundamentalists aren't Mormon. I also reject the notion that Christian self righteousness can dictate whether or not Mormons are Christians.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 04:37PM

do Jews have the right to say who is Jewish?

Okay. Then I'm Jewish.

Uhmm, no. I'm not.

Date: September 10, 2011 04:41PM

Actually, Jews don't get to say who is Jewish and who is not Jewish. It is a genetic determination.

Are you really trying to compare the two?

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 05:53PM

nice.

Date: September 10, 2011 07:05PM

Touché! Your arguing skills are commendable. I hope we cross swords one day again.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 04:46PM

The FLDS consider themselves Mormon and have asked the LDS church to respect that.

I consider them Mormons too. The LDS church isn't the only Mormon sect, there are dozens.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700241840/Pro-polygamy-coalition-takes-issue-with-LDS-objection-to-fundamentalist.html

Posted by: teagee ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 04:58PM

As I told the mishies a few years back...

They read the BOM
They hold JS & BY as a profit
They pray for personal revelation and receive it.
They give testamoney.
They build and go to a Temple for similar ceremonies
They wear magic undies
-Then why aren't they 'Mormon'? They are more a Mormon than a Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, or JW ... (and no one else wants to claim them anyway)

Besides Polygamy and having a diff prophet, they really are pretty much the same.

I'd say they are more a Mormon than the LDS are.

Kind of like some Catholics who didn't like the 2nd Vatican council, still wanted Latin Mass, couldn't handle the changes. They let the majority go on their way and they stayed the same. Made their own Bishiops, ordained their own priest. Those folks would be considered more a 'catholic' than a protestant or a Mormon. (Although catholics wouldn't want to claim them either)

It's just a matter of degree. We all like to put labels on things.

So yeah, why wouldn't they say they are Mormon?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 06:09PM

It depends on how big the categories are. Depending on the criteria, it seems sensible to link FLDS with Mormons, then Mormons with Christians, then Christians with major religions.

IMO where you draw the line is arbitrary. As we have discussed many times here, to some a Christian is anyone who follows Jesus in some way (this includes Mormons). To others, it means THEIR particular set of beliefs define what is Christian.

If Mormons have to own FLDS, I think it is only fair for Christians to own Mormons. Each is going to have freak groups out in the fringes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.