Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 01:00PM

Dear Family,

First I want to say that I love you with all of my heart. I have come to a decision that will be hard for you to hear and even harder for you to understand, but I hope you will listen with an open heart.
    Recently I have been questioning the church. For a long time now I have realized that I had a distant relationship with God, and that I was only going to church sometimes for the social part of it. I came across something on the internet called the journal of discourses, which is all the speeches from previous prophets of the church. After reading some of these things I realized that how the church started and how the church and its history are taught to us in Sunday School are completely different things.
I also came across a list of things that the church believes in that we might not be aware of, and most of them indeed were things that I had never heard of at all. So then the obvious question was, how can I be sure that this isn’t just made up? So I started to look into it. There are two organizations that are run by church members, one of them is called FARMS and is stationed at BYU in Utah, just to defend the church and the allegations against it by the many people that leave the church and historians that have been excommunicated for their research on unsavory aspects of the church’s past.
​The fact that they exist at all, and the fact that they are not denying the facts, just trying to make them look nicer, spoke volumes to me. Also, high ranking church officials have made it clear they do not want us looking at any literature at all that is not sanctioned by the church. They have a “correlation committee’ that sanitizes all of the information before it is given to us. Unfortunately for them even church doctrine, like the Journal of Discourses and Ensign articles and speeches given by LDS leaders are condemning enough. Boyd K. Packer said in a speech at BYU in 1981 that he noticed the tendency of many church members to “spend a great deal of time in academic research’’ which would lead them to judge the church and its practices. He advised against this saying “some things that are true are not very useful.”​To me, the one true church on the face of the earth should have nothing to hide. Yes, all religions have a history, some far more atrocious than that of the Mormon church, but they don’t deny the facts or tell their members not to read a history book. John 8:32 states that we will know the truth and it shall set us free. I feel that my eyes have been opened and I am indeed aware of the truth about the church.
 Church officials have also discredited Brigham Young and other prophets on doctrine that is no longer practiced.  How can men who are prophets of God disagree with one another? 1st Corinthians 14; 33 states that God is not the author of confusion. If this is true, why do the prophets contradict each other? I believe this is because the Church changes due to political correctness. God is supposed to be a never changing being, as stated in Malachi 3:6 and Hebrews 13:8; so why would he keep changing his mind? Was God racist before and then the pressure of the civil rights movement got to him so he changed his mind? No.
I am not trying to convince you or to get you to believe me. I know you will be hurt and try to get me to put these things in the back of my mind. But I cannot. Because I want a relationship with God and Jesus that I can’t get at the Mormon Church.
I don’t need the hoops to jump through to attain a spot in heaven. True Christianity means that there is nothing we can do to save ourselves because we are born sinners and Jesus atoned for all of those sins when he died. This is stated in Romans 3:23 which says: “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”. So all we have to do to take advantage of that sacrifice is to accept Jesus into our lives and hearts and we are forgiven. Yes, good deeds are nice and expected for someone who wants to follow Jesus, and their faith is “dead’ if they do not live a life for Christ, as it states in James 2:14. But these things are not necessary to attain salvation. In the Mormon faith you must go to the temple to be endowed and married to attain the highest kingdom of heaven. And to go to the temple you must do many things including but not limited to; abstaining from caffeine, giving 10% of your income to the church, and finding another Mormon to marry. So in essence, unless you pay money, you will not go to heaven and be with God. This is not biblical. Ephesians 2:8 says “For it is by grace that you have been saved through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift from God.” It is not humble to think that we can attain salvation by our good works, because salvation is simply a gift from God that we must thank him for everyday if we have decided to accept him into our lives. And if it were true that my works were essential to buy a spot into heaven, and there was only one reason I fell short, it will not be because of my choice of husband, who is the most kind and generous person I have ever met. For a church that’s sole motto is based around “families are forever” they sure put up a lot of roadblocks to ensure that this will never happen by their standards.
​There are so many things I have discovered in just a few short weeks that has sealed my decision. I will be formally leaving the Mormon Church. I want to be a Christian and be baptized again. This baptism will be to show God and the public of my commitment to this decision, and to thank Jesus for his wonderful example. It will not be necessary to wash away my sins, for I have already been saved by asking Jesus to come into my life, by grace through faith. I have a lot to learn, and the start of this journey is very bittersweet for me. I hope that all of the many friends I have at church will still accept me and my decision, but most of all I hope my relationship with you, my family, who I cannot even imagine my life without, will not be altered. I have been asked a few times why I can’t just become inactive. This idea to me says that I should be dishonest with myself and everyone else because it makes everyone more comfortable. It also gives everyone false hope that I will come back. I’m not. This may sound harsh, but I am firm in my decision. I hope you can support me and love me as you always have. Ironically It seems fitting to quote the 11th Article of Faith for the closing of my letter to you:

​”We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.”

​I am happy to answer any questions, but I do not want to argue. If you are truly interested in seeing the research I have seen, I will be happy to point you in the right direction or collect it myself and bring it to you.  

I love you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 01:21PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 01:51PM

They have several choices: ignore it as just rambling from someone to young to know what they are talking about, or give it some credence as valuable and respect your position, if not believe it.

Hard to know how it will go from here on out and which family members will be able to accept your right to change your mind and which ones won't.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 02:05PM

That letter is excellent. You kept it very loving, yet honest to the bone. That is hard to do. All the best to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 02:55PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 02:18PM

Very beautifully written, sensitive and spot on.

It should be archived permanently.

Anagrammy

Posted by: HusbandofTBM ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 03:07PM

Well written letter,so what was the reaction/comments?
On another note, have you heard of Adam's Road?
All the members are former LDS. 4 of 5 served missions.

http://adamsroadband.com/

Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 03:07PM

You hit the nail on the head my young friend :-)

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 03:40PM

That was a beautiful letter, American Girl. Is it all right with you if I put it in my files?

You express my sentiments, exactly. You write true statements, without judgment or anger. You write with love. Instead of anger, you express a bit of sadness. You are very mature and wise!

The main reason this letter is so strong, is that it is positive. Instead of berating the Mormon church, you emphasize your love of Christ, your search for God, your knowledge of the scriptures, your love and respect for your non-Mormon husband, your happiness in finding the Truth. IMO, this is the most effective way to deal with Mormons.

If any family member deliberately wants you to be unhappy--it is on their head. If any family member doesn't want you to follow Jesus Christ, then they are not a Christian (which Mormons claim to be), and that, too, is on their head.

You wrote: "I want a relationship with God and Jesus that I can’t get at the Mormon Church." This is what I told my family, and my bishop. They didn't argue with that.

Congratulations for being able to put it all in writing. Keep this letter for your children, or for anyone who wants to know why you left. You could also use it as your formal letter of resignation, and mail it to Greg Dodge at the Church Office Building. You are on the road to happiness! Best of luck! >^..^<

Date: September 10, 2011 05:04PM

Thank you! Yes you may put it in your files. :) I thought my letter was positive but my family said it was angry and that I am on my way to becoming a bitter anti mormon. It's sad because they know who I am but they are acting like I am some stranger. Oh well I know I'm doing the right thing!

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 10:20PM

Anything that isn't in lockstep with Mormon dogma is perceived as bitter, because that is their last defense against the truth. It's an effective method of discrediting and dismissing valid claims without any mental exercise.

What you've done is hold a mirror up to their faces and as a result they have rejected their reflection. They'd rather see the reflection they've been told to see. Then you come along and give them a peek at what they really support.

Good letter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2011 10:21PM by Strykary.

Posted by: notmo ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 05:08PM

This board is not very "Christian Friendly", but don't let that bother you as there are some of us who are strong Christians.

notmo

Posted by: sailorchan ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 08:42PM

Your letter is not angry. Its called projection. It would be a rare believing mormon indeed that could be magnaminous after such a large helping of cognitive dissonance. Keep loving them, they will likely not stop loving you even if it gets hard for them to show it.

Posted by: croaker ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 09:12PM

Wow- That was very brave of you to do! I'm always so happy to find people who leave the Church based on research and reasoned thinking rather than as an emotional response to a real or perceived wrong.
Since you look to be on the right path, might I suggest a book for you to read to help you on your way? It's called The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan. I read it a few years after I left the Church and wish that I had read it sooner. It's not all about religion, but about rational thinking, skepticism and how to find the truth in things. I can't recommend it more highly!

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Haunted-World-Science-Candle-Dark/dp/0345409469

Good luck to you!

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 09:24PM

WoW
Do you allow me to translate your letter in German and pass it on when needed?
I’ll think very good written and the right balance.

Posted by: starry ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 09:47PM

Beautifully written. And no it's not angry at all, just straight forward and factual. Sadly Mormons are not used to this,they can't handle anything that isn't sugar coated and sing songy.

And yes this board is not "Christian" friendly. But we are here. So glad that you have been reading the bible, isn't Romans and 1st 2nd Corinthians awesome?
Are you in Utah? Have you been attending a Christian church?
I hope the very best for you and that your family will take your lead and do the research.

Peace be with you
Starry

Posted by: Hanna ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 10:04PM

buddyjoe, would you be willing to send me your German translation? I would really appreciate it.

Date: September 10, 2011 10:07PM

sure no prob, but ???? should I send it to you???
You mean posting it?

Posted by: Hanna ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 10:15PM

Sorry about that, here is my email.
hkreidich@gmail.com

Thank you so much!! I plan to resign ASAP, and my parents are native German speakers. My German is okay, but this might help!

Date: September 11, 2011 12:40AM

Yes translate distribute do what ever you want with it if it helps you! :) I just heard of Adams road today... I will have to check it out. I am in California and I have started going to a christian church and I signed up for bible study on Tuesday nights. My families responses are on an older one of my posts called "ok I told my family!" or see on my blog unmasktruth.wordpress.com

Date: September 11, 2011 02:27AM

Thank you.
I call it really speeding up. How many novelist would be happy if their stuff would be immediately translated in other languages and distributed.

But you did a great job.
Thx for allowing me...

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 12:50AM

It is very well written. Maybe your family will look into some of these issues you have brought up.

Posted by: mysticma ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 04:00PM

Such a beautiful letter! Thank you for sharing this with all the board.

I hope to pass along some hope, by letting you know that some of my TBM friends from high school have stuck by my side thru my leaving the cult and have been a support system. We agree to disagree, no arguments. So it can be done.

Perhaps with some time your family will see what a wonderful woman they have raised and will be proud of all your choices, this one included.

Date: September 11, 2011 04:35PM

Thanks I hope that's the case:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.