Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: HusbandofTBM ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 05:34PM

...some reason I enjoy this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl0c5nl6u48

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 06:23PM

Let me guess. You are into encouraging exmos into becoming Jesus folks.

The website linked to that video makes it pretty obvious. It's a commercial for "Unveiling Grace" Jesus crap. It's almost an hour of pathetic sounding people "looking" for the right kind of feel good medicine (testimony style).

Now, YOU TOO can get a free video about the good news of Jesus, in case you have been in a coma your entire life and have never heard of Christianity.

Watching videos like this make me realize how far I have come.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 10, 2011 08:08PM

"I'm an agnostic but" what?

Most (99%) of christians are agnostic. This looks like a fishing scam to me...

Date: September 10, 2011 11:01PM

Even though they're Bible thumping Christian now, they're still amazing exit stories.
If my wife we're to leave I see this being her route.
Hey then she wouldn't give me a hard time about drinking coffee!

Date: September 11, 2011 12:13AM

Think big. She might even allow wine someday!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 12:32AM

at Christian youth group and this square is to do something nobody else has thought of!

Clever...

Anagrammy

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 05:24AM

.......but now I just don't know.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 02:38PM

Do you have a compilation anywhere, a site where I can see your

This day in Mormonism?

Anagrammy

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 05:57AM

Yes It's a good video.

I don't believe the bible is any Supernatutral Gods word etc but just philosophical thinking/rationalising mixed with history trying to justify/explain Israelite Military conquests and subsequent failures etc for the most part(especially OT).

I do like watching the Wilder family explain how they realised that Mormonism is not biblical.

It's a better exit vehicle(or perhaps softer)for Mormons IMO and much less destructive and exploitative than remaining in the LDS.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 08:51AM

and land in the [expletive] fire.

Yup, that really makes a lot of sense -- to morons.

Date: September 13, 2011 06:34PM

I kinda feel I need to clear my name.
I think think the old testament is total nonsense and the new testament is unreliable in its accounts of Jesus.
(much of the miracle stories we're written years after his death and so on blah blah)
I stumbled on the youtube video and enjoyed it.
I would love to show it to my wife but it's been rough lately with
"doctrinal issues."
Any out there with a TBM spouse willing to watch this with them?
At least someone with a TBM boy/girlfriend.
I'd like to know their reaction afterwards.
The reason I think it is powerful is, they (TBM's) can't say the people in it always hated the church and are now angry atheist.

Date: September 17, 2011 04:38AM

So I left the video open on my computer knowing my wife would be home before me and check her facebook.
When I walk through the door she asked "did you leave a video for me to watch?".
She watched the first 10 minutes and turned it off when I walked through the door.She didn't seem upset. No arguments yet. She had to leave to be somewhere.
We'll see what happens when she gets home.

Posted by: topper ( )
Date: September 14, 2011 01:41AM

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: September 14, 2011 02:35AM

Saved by Grace alone. Not TSCC. Not endowments. Not works. Belief in Jesus Christ.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 17, 2011 04:59AM

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: September 17, 2011 06:19AM

Pot calling the kettle - black.

Passive agressive and very transparent, leaving the video on... Manipulation really at it's finest.

I suspect both you and your wife will wake up one day. Not sure your marriage will be intact though. Good luck

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: September 17, 2011 12:58PM

All this saved by grace alone garbage is another way that the competition to the LDS church tries to lure folks into their scam. From one scam to another. Tell them what you think they want to hear so they keep coming back for more.

James Chapter 2 and Romans clearly rebuttal the notion of grace alone that is spoken of in Titus. So now what do we believe? Could it be that the Bible is very inconsistent and contradicting?

I call it selective interpretation. Pick and chose what you want to believe, see, and hear in order to formulate your existence. An eclectic approach to religion which is almost like a salad bar. Pick and chose the amount of what parts you like to formulate your perfect salad. But what might be perfect to one, may not be perfect to another.

So the inherent bias in eclectic scriptural theories is….how do you know which eclectic approach is correct??? Who has it right??? Is there a right amount???

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 17, 2011 02:36PM

I smell shit here. Anyone else.???

Date: September 18, 2011 02:50PM

Ya, get her done, I guess it is all shit, but I think it would be like going from dog shit to bird shit, whats more annoying?

Date: September 18, 2011 03:52PM

You know your shit!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 03:56PM

What are you agnostic about and why ?

Date: September 18, 2011 04:07PM

Dave,
You might think I'm kidding, but I'm not, I'd call myself an atheist, but I don't have that much faith and not that religious.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 04:10PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 04:14PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 04:50PM

One of the ways i did it ( well, dh wasn't tbm by that time, just still believing) was to read him interesting and funny stuff on rfm ( or try salamander.com) There are amusing things that happen in mormonism that even mormons can laugh at. Then slowly bring up some lame stuff, like how could nephi pass off as laban with all that blood on his clothes? little things that get her thinking, but aren't too doctrinal. go slow and with patience. as other posters have said, sometimes the church people can do more to help someone leave :)

The best way to show her ex mormons aren't bitter anti's is to not be one yourself. :)

Date: September 18, 2011 06:20PM

Karin does your husband believe now LDS church is complete B.S.?

Dave,
Before I write, I'd like to tell you I'm much more inline with you then any Christian, but........the definition of faith is a complete trust or confidence in something. A complete belief that there is no god is still a belief.
And having that core belief can be considered a religion,
Buddhist don't believe in a god creator, is it not considered a religion?

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 08:25PM

Typical christian straw argument. Atheists don't assert that there is no god. We simply reject the theistic assertion that a god exists. If you can't tell the difference then you should quit while you're ahead.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 08:48PM

Atheism:

http://newhumanist.org.uk/2657/varieties-of-irreligious-experience

Snippet:

"There is something magnificent about a conception of religion that is broad enough to include, say, John Stuart Mill or George Eliot, or even Shelley, Darwin or Karl Marx. But the breadth of [William] James’s definition has its disadvantages too. If those of us who think of ourselves as atheists, rationalists, humanists or secularists are to be classified as religious in spite of ourselves – believers, perhaps, but in a post-theistic style – then we risk entering a Hegelian night in which all cows are black. And there is a danger of forgetting, as James tended to forget, the courage of those sceptics who have laboured over many generations to free us from the enchantments of religion. If there are several different ways of coming to religion, there are several ways of moving away from it too, and an adequate inquiry into religion will need to cover not only religious experience, but irreligious experience as well."

Date: September 18, 2011 09:06PM

"Atheists don't assert that there is no god."
O.K. Kolobian I admit I must be really dense.
Atheism: noun- The theory or belief that God does not exist.

Date: September 18, 2011 09:18PM

a- (meaning without)
theism (belief in gods)

It simply means without a belief in gods.

It gets complicated. There are some atheists who claim 100% there is no god. The likelihood may be high there is not looking at the evidence.

However just like you cannot prove 100% there is not an invisible dragon in your garage (see Carl Sagan's Demon Haunted World) an atheist often will not claim something that puts him in the position of having to prove a negative.

I'm a strong atheist, but I do not make affirmative statements about ridiculous notions whether they are gods or fairies even though (depending on the definitions) I can likely disprove most versions of gods that are described, I cannot prove a negative. I simply lack a belief.

I do not think we can know, so I am agnostic. I do not hold a belief, so I am atheist. I'm an agnostic atheist. There are agnostic theists (they don't think you can know but hold a belief). It's the ones who claim to know who get into trouble with their claims.

I'm guessing the dictionary definitions were not exactly written by atheists. However there are atheists fitting that definition. Their task is as absurd as the theists trying to prove their positive assertion.

Check out The Case Against God by George Smith.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 07:15PM

During my time so far on Earth searching for 'The Truth' lol it has led me from JW's to Born Again to Catholicism to Christadelphian to LDS to Athiesm I think(as in the bible is just man made philosophy).

I would say that the ones I fear most for potential family problems and disharmony and intolerance/superiority (even if not displayed outright) are the JW's and LDS.

Both these organisations spend all their time affirming they are the only true ones and obsessed with retainment and recruitment (using deception) and teach obedience and reverance for 'inspired' leaders of the organisations, while the others I experienced tend to focus on being grateful for Christ/Salvation etc and just try to keep people inspired and hopeful that death leads to something better etc. The Christadelphians are kind of half way between.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 07:35PM

understand their World View much better.
I don't have any need to believe their religious beliefs, however.

Date: September 18, 2011 07:44PM

+1!

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 08:51PM

I don't think that to discover Christianity outside of Mormonism is any healthier than Mormonism itself.

However, it is nice to see people leaving the religion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.