Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:22PM

I took the Belief Net quiz and got a 100% for universalist and 40% for LDS. I had my DW take it and she got the polar opposite.

This is frustrating to me because I know she has doubts. When we discussed her results, she said, "I don't know, I just believe the doctrine."

I don't want to cause problems, but I just don't see how you can wholeheartedly accept "the doctrine" if the whole building is based on deception.

I'm starting to drop more and more hints that I just don't want to go to Church anymore. I'm getting concerned that we're going to have some conflict in the coming months. Any advice from the (married) crowd?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:37PM

It's not the doctrines she believes in -- it's the promises. She wants what they claim to offer. Maybe it's the social interaction, maybe she likes what they promise her after death, maybe she thinks she can't get it anywhere else.

I'm like you. I need to know the truth and if the whole building is based on deception, then whatever value Mormonism offers is shaky at best. I don't want it. I can get the good stuff elsewhere, I don't have to put up being lied to in order to get what I want and need. In fact, I can't stand it.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:40PM

I feel for you. I wish I had good advice. All I can say to give you some hope is that my husband quit going almost five years before I quit. Is she going to stand by you if you quit and she keeps going?

Date: November 08, 2010 08:44PM

Thanks CA Girl and Queenofdenial -- I'm absolutely sure she would stand by me. I'm lucky in that respect. I guess I'm just impatient.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:42PM

I took it and I'm proud to report the results.

Nontheist -- 100%
Secular Humanist -- 81%
Mormon -- 24%
JW -- 0%

Date: November 08, 2010 08:44PM

on a funny side note -- she scored JW second. I teased her on that one.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:49PM

They have a lot in common -- both as crazy as hell. Some of have described Moism and JWs as the scientologists of the 19th century!
Both are into control.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:55PM

Here's some of my results:

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
14. Secular Humanism (59%)
19. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (52%)
20. Nontheist (49%)
23. Taoism (47%)
26. Seventh Day Adventist (39%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (27%)

Hmmm. I would like to visit an Asatru group...

Date: November 08, 2010 10:27PM

Oh another thing -- as a result of my quiz, decided to visit a UU church yesterday. I noticed the liberal bent to the meeting, BUT it was not over the top. I'm a one of those pesky libertarians who hates all parties and labels, so it didn't bother me that much that I disagree with some of the politics.

Anyway, I felt the SPIRIT as they talked about PEACE (in commemoration of Veteran's day). I also liked the windows (I know it's silly, but not having windows in an LDS chapel bugs me). I really liked the coffee afterwards. How cool is that? Just relax and fellowship. Man, I think I would be TBM if the word of wisdom was just dumped. It would help most members to reeeelaaaaax.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.