Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 11:06PM

After reading about stuff here, I was super curious to see what a TBM had to say...so I went on a couple different times and asked about some different issues.

I first asked about the whole Book of Abraham controversy and the chick literally said that all the papyri were destroyed in a fire and that it's a common myth that there's still some around that Egyptologists have translated. She was really defensive and then she said that she couldn't tell me more about my question and that the chat was for questions about mormon.org! Wtf! I was like I'm an investigator and I would like to know about the history of the church, isn't that what this is for? You literally can't tell an investigator more about the doctrine of your church? That's really weird..and she was like this chat is for discussion of basic beliefs of the church. I was like so, the not so basic beliefs aren't important? That's really strange. Nobody ever tells the converts about the false history until they are baptized then they decide to drop the bomb...nice.

Then I went on again and asked if it was true that the BoM was translated in a hat. The lady was like "um I'm not exactly sure, I think he used it at one point to shut out distractions.." then she quickly changed the topic to me reading the BoM! WTF! All the lies are finally revealing themselves to me, one by one. Wtf. I feel so betrayed. I went to church for a solid 14 years and have known about it my whole life and no one ever told me any of this creepy hat and fake translating crap! UGH!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 11:19PM

Joe Smith wrote the original "Cat in the Hat Comes Back" story years before Dr. Suess.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 11:41PM

He used the same rock he always used, the one from Josiah's well...and the mf lying church still has that rock with the hole in it in the vault!

To me that was an aha moment like when The South Park episode says, "You mean Mormons know he couldn't re-translate the 116 pages and they believe him anyway?"

Anagrammy

Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: September 11, 2011 11:51PM

I get the same attitude whenever I ask questions on there. I acted like I was truly interested in the church yet they get all defensive when you have history questions.

Posted by: Tango-1 ( )
Date: September 12, 2011 01:05AM

Tell her that the so called destroyed papyri have the exact pictures that are found in the BoM along with all of the so called translation notes and made up alphabet. There is NO doubt that the papyri are indeed the real mcCoy.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 12, 2011 02:34AM

In addition to the papyri being available, your correspondent must have forgotten that cuts of the facsimiles are included in the Book of Abraham with some modifications by Smith. However, they are still recognized by experts as funerary texts.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: September 12, 2011 08:43AM

There is a lot that the missionaries don't tell you about. In fact, I look back at my joining the Church and all I can think of is the rush to have me baptized. And yes whenever a person has questions they send them back to reading and praying.

I don't know if you are new here, but welcome anyway.

D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.