Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost Mystic ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 10:13PM

My son goes to a RC school, but he isn't Catholic. He has a religion test tomorrow, and my wife was helping him review. When she was asking him about Noah and the flood, he answered correctly, then followed up with "but none of that really happened...it doesn't make sense."

My wife believes it's a mere story as well, but she said it was the "way" he said it...which she thought was quite negative.

She blames me for "poisoning" our children with a negative skepticism.

Whenever I discuss alternative perspectives about bible stories, I do it in a calm manner...not with disgust.

Perhaps he feels like the teachers are lying to him because they teach it as literal, and he might resent the cog-dis of adults disagreeing on the origins of things.

I don't know...

But I'm not going to lie to him...

I even told him that no matter what, it's important to know what other people believe, and to get the answers right on the test from answering what they believe, but he doesn't have to believe it himself...and I told him how I studied many different religions in college. I read to understand, but I wasn't told to believe it.

I'm so frustrated. She has NEVER given me any problems about religion before...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 11:14PM

Now your son is getting possessed too.

He is annoyed that people can teach fairy tales as literal fact. But he can't call them fairy tales.

It's the most marvelous double standard ever devised. Religion can criticize people. It can call them sinners, tell them they are evil, say they are going to hell for eternity. But criticize religion, and suddenly YOU are the one filled with hate and need to be "tolerant."

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 09:51AM

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 10:30AM

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 04:29PM

"Religion can criticize people. It can call them sinners, tell them they are evil, say they are going to hell for eternity. But criticize religion, and suddenly YOU are the one filled with hate and need to be "tolerant."

I want to put this up on every social networking site I participate in. Well said.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 11:19PM

Catholics are not Biblical literalists although some individuals may be. Therefore, I don't see why your wife is upset-particularly since she doesn't believe the story either. I would ask your son if the stories are being taught as fact. If they are, I would discuss the atter with him. Frankly, I would be surprised if they are although the distinction ight be lost on a kid.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 15, 2011 11:28PM

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:40AM

Unfortunately, those are the problems that come up when one partner stops believing in the cult and the spouse is still sort of in it.

Like you said, she blames you for "poisoning" the kids' minds - with the truth.

And that is precisely why I suggested to the poster this morning (married less than 1 year) that he get out of the marriage and find a more compatible mate while he is still young and without kids.

Problems just never end when Mormonism is the dominant partner in a marriage, worlds without end.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 01:10AM

His DW is Roman Catholic not mormon.

Date: September 16, 2011 12:55AM

Well, in this case the wife is Catholic, not Mormon and they do have a son so divorce seems a bit radical if everything else is okay

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 01:28AM

Different cult, same problems.

BTW, I did not tell Lost Mystic to get a divorce.

Date: September 16, 2011 01:40AM

Not really and you implied he should get a divorce.

Posted by: just a lurker ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:01PM

Actually a divorced was suggested in a different thread, not this one. Just a lurker here.. but bona dea, you are so freaking touchy about everything!

Date: September 16, 2011 03:47PM

Just pointing out that the wife isn't Mormon. Nothing touchy about that.You would be more credible if you used your handle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 03:49PM by bona dea.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 01:43AM

So true Glo. Most religions are kinda or extremely kooky.

Date: September 16, 2011 08:15AM

We talked about it more. She doesn't mind the skepticism...she said she is glad he uses critical thinking. Her main problem is that he has an attitude of distain.

She says she thinks the attitude comes from me...

And she is afraid that since he is so vocal about it, that he will get in trouble at school...

His school teaches these stories as "literal". My wife went to the same school and confirmed this (a lot of the same teachers are there...lol)

She said she didn't question the stories until jr. High or so, and that it wasn't some kind of earth shattering experience...just more of "they seemed too ridiculous to be real anyway..."

Date: September 16, 2011 08:43AM

Kids, especially early teens, can develop disdain all on their own when adults tell them something stupid--or even when they don't. Your wife may be personalizing something that is "just a phase."

Date: September 16, 2011 08:57AM

He is 7. Lol

Date: September 16, 2011 09:00AM

How bad an attitude can a 7-year old have anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 09:00AM by robertb.

Date: September 16, 2011 09:20AM

Hehehehe...

You'd be surprised how disgusted he can get about the topic of religion. I think part of it is because he attends LDS with his mom(my ex-wife) on weekends he spends with her, attends a catholic school, and sometimes goes to RC church with my wife (on Sundays when I decide to go...but most times my son and I sit it out)

He questions everything...which can be a real pain in the ass when it's regarding rules in the house.

Even when he was 2-3, my TBM friends would comment about how strange it was for a toddler to be so inquisitive, and that he could grasp concepts well beyond his years.

When his mom was in prison (vehicular homicide DUI), he kind of grew up too fast in a way. He never really had a "magical" or innocent childhood. He also had to deal with our divorce at an early age.

So these forces combined seem to have created a 7 y/o who thinks outside the box, and who at times displays sarcasm, and disgust towards elements of religion.

Date: September 16, 2011 09:33AM

He's had a lot to figure out. Kids generally are also so much less innocent now. LDS are really sensitive to what they consider disrespect toward religion or authority, too.

Our 8-year old girl has become more sarcastic. I get "duh!" at least a couple times a week and she's been emotionally pushing her mom and questioning her more lately. I tell her mom it is what she gets for having a smart kid.

Our daughter has a couple of JW friends at school who were trying to proselytize her and she told them in a nice way to back off. She says their ideas are silly. When she was in kindergarten she stopped believing in Santa Clause and we had to tell her to let the other kids believe and they'd figure it out on their own.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 09:22AM

Well, I have a question for here then. Why is he more influenced by you than by her? Maybe you have more credibility. If her way is right and your way is wrong, why is the son gravitating to you? Odd that.

Ron

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 10:40AM

it has nothing to do with religion or skepticism. Your having a power struggle with your wife.

I get that stuff over non religious things. For example, my daughter came to pet my head one evening when I had a headache and my wife chased her off saying that I am treating my kids as slaves.

However, it is ok when they caress their mother and say sweet things to her. This is the exception to the rule. What a crock!

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 10:53AM

You're shittin' me, right?

Noway!

Ron

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 03:45PM

I was raised RC and knew it was all BS by the time I was 7. I remember quite vividly kneeling in church, listening to the priest yap on thinking that I knew that I would never be part of it as an adult. Your kid just has good common sense and calls the Emperor on his new clothes. It's all a crock, whether it comes from the Profit or the guy in a dress.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 04:34PM

Ask him WHY he thinks people tell such stories?

The point you could make is that people have allegorical stories to explain things that they have no ready explanation for. But might need an explanation for.

Why is there light? Who created the world? And so forth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.