Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:25PM

"I have been a student of Communist China and the cultural revolution which took place there and throughout my course of study I have been struck by the similarities between the LDS church and authoritarian governments. The enforcement of groupthink is the most dangerous and dehumanizing commonality, in my opinion, and, unfortunately, seems to provide for the basis for most church experience now. My goodness, the leaders have just about instituted it as the only way to legitimately bear testimony. We are told what we should include in a testimony now – how ridiculous is that? And how boring?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:32PM

...when we were learning about totalitarian governments. Hmmmm, that sounds kinda like...the church. But it couldn't be, right? Because the church was directed by Jesus and/or God, so it must be okay somehow.

Years later I realized, no, it's not okay.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:34PM

source???

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:48PM

It's one thing to dictate someone's behaviors, but it's another all together to dictate their thoughts. Being kicked out for thinking seems counter to the purposes of a university degree.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:45PM

I always wondered why Mormons were on the one hand so chauvinistic about the US, almost crying about democracy and freedom, and at the same time so disdainful of those who actually use those freedoms to choose their own lives.

Finally, it hit me. Modern Mormonism is not based on Jeffersonian democracy, but on Corporate America. Corporations are very hierarchical, demand conformity, reward those who conform and produce with conformity, and hold those promotions as carrots to lower members while keeping the stick of firing/excommunication at the ready.

Mormon church meetings are like stock holder gatherings, with farcical democracy. Speeches are repetitive and provide no original insights. Whereas jeans and even shorts are acceptable in other churches, corporate suits and ties are expected at LDS churches. Even colored shirts are disdained, and Mormon missionaries are famous for their white shirts and ties.

While we may think of one thing when celebrating America as written by Jefferson, Mormons actually celebrate America as written by Henry Ford.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:58PM

Wow, I never saw it that way but it makes perfect sense.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 12:49PM

I wonder how soon....ChurchCo leadership will try to infiltrate 'the group'...

'Oh yeah; we just started this sign-in thingee.... Write your name & student # here on this piece of paper...'

Watch Out!

...cue Twilight Zone opening music...

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 01:00PM

They're being careful, and I'm not sure BYU really wants to kick out 100 students all at once anyway. And what if the spies they send learn too much of the truth and join the group?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.