Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 07:15PM

Timmy sits on a bench. He looks sad.
The Bishop shows up.

Bishop: What happen? Why are you so sad?
Timmy: Well – Granny gave me $ 20 to buy me a game.
Bishop: That’s good.
Timmy: Dad said I should pay tithe and now I have only $ 18 left.
Bishop: Well --- and?
Timmy: The game is $ 19.95!
Bishop in a teaching moment: I give you $ 2. You see paying tithe helps.
Timmy smiles!
Bishop: Here Timmy 1.80, 1.90 and here we go $ 2.
Timmy: Hey great!! Thx
Bishop: But Timmy you have to pay tithe on this too.
Timmy: Oh – Oh - O key. Here Bishop 20 cent.
Bishop: You see paying tithe helps. And no go and get your game!
Timmy quietly: ?@##@??!!

Timmy sits on a bench. He looks sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 07:46PM

I work a till at work. I would give him the fifteen cents he's short, because I know the poor kid worked very hard for his $20.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: September 16, 2011 07:55PM

Maybe timmmy will find a few nickles and pennies on the road on the way home. good luck timmy.

I have a true story about that:

When i was in gr. 5 or 6 the teacher said that if we got 20 spelling tests in a row perfect, we'd get a chocolate bar. Well i managed to do this, but all the chocolate bars were gone. So she gave me the money. Too bad, cause as a good mormon i had to tithe the money, so there went the chocolate bar. So much for all my hard work. But i bet the teacher never thot that giving kids the money so they could decide on their own kind of chocolate would prevent a kid from actually getting one.

My mormon parents who had money to give to the church for tithing, budget, fast offering, chapel building, stake centre building could only afford to give us kids a few cents a week for allowence:

in gr. 5 it was 50 cents, in gr. 6 it was .60.....can you imagine telling your gr. 8 friends you only get .80 a week for allowance??? Not that i told anyone, probably. In high school it was 1 dollar and later 2 dollars a week. Then i stoopped asking for money because my dad got laid off when i was 16. I got my own job.

This was in the 70s, and no, we were not poor, altho my mother made out like we were. She just kept on having more babies until we were poor. (6 total)

When ds was old enuf to have an allowance, we weren't that well off, so we gave him some money and then together we did a flyer route so he could have some more money to go to activites etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.