Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 12:28PM

AT work today, listening to my favorite CD, ROME, with Norah Jones and Jack White. It is the most beautifully sophisticated music ever, so most of you probably won't like it. :)LOL

My favorite song is Two Against One, and as addicting as it is, it started to remind me of the Mormon church. The reason is, the 'two against one' turns out to be "you and me against me, two against one."

The church turned me on myself. Pure and simple. It was two against one and they tricked me into joining the battle against myself.

It is a cult and like a cult it is an abusive relationship where the victim is manipulated into joining the two against one mentality. They pulled a bait and switch--I participated to get faith but got submission instead. I signed up to be a better person and got low self esteem instead. I wanted to be special and ended up being an indistinguishable sheep in a herd.

I didn't study my way out, I think very few did in my day. (All praise to the internet now.) I got out because I couldn't participate in my own demise anymore.

For anyone out there still struggling, love yourself, listen to Anagrammy when she talks about building a relationship with yourself first. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself--not a parent, not a lover, and certainly not a church.

Never ever participate in the TWO AGAINST ONE-YOU AND ME AGAINST ME. You can handle being all alone against the world if you have to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 12:40PM

I never would have gone looking for ways to disprove the church if it had been a place I thrived. Instead, I found I was expected to join with the church in tearing myself down.

Leaving was about self preservation as much as truth seeking, and avoiding 'two against one'.

Posted by: unbeliever42 ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 01:16PM

"I was expected to join with the church in tearing myself down."

That's just one of the big red flags that says "it's a cult, not a church" to me.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 12:51PM

Good for you for recognizing what the church does to you, and waking up.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 01:04PM

BTW - I am a HUGE Nora Jones fan. So funny you mention her because for years she was my Sunday morning unMormon song as I brewed coffee and relished being home in my robe and slippers.

I would listen to Nora and park by my big front window so I could watch the families walk by my duplex in Murray on the way to the ward building down the street and read their body language.

So glad to be free...thanks again for your great post.

Anagrammy

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 05:40PM

I really think you would love Rome then. The songs Norah does are the best ever for me.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 07:36PM

Thanks for the insight--I am not familiar with the song, but am a little familiar with the artists. I have issues with hearing sometimes, especially with lyrics. The ear/nose throat doctor said there is only a very small amount of hearing loss in one ear but if you put a patient in a damn sound proof booth to test hearing, I do not consider that an accurate evaluation of being in life. I appreciate your perspective, both in this post and others. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 07:47PM by tiptoes.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 09:36PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.