Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 01:02PM

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18920406

Snippets:

"A parent complained that Denver Christian Schools would not enroll her son because he attends Mormon church. The private evangelical Christian school's admission officer said the boy was not enrolled because he held a view of Christianity incompatible with the school's teachings...."

"...Mormons also hold different beliefs about the nature of Jesus, Green said. They have their own scripture, founding prophet Joseph Smith​ and secret temple rituals, as well as divergent views on baptism, afterlife and other doctrines.

"Following the example and teachings of Jesus Christ is at the center of our lives, our doctrines and, indeed, the name of the Church," said LDS spokesman Eric Hawkins from church headquarters in Salt Lake City. "Christians of all denominations recognize there are differences in our doctrines and beliefs. We acknowledge those differences but accept our fellow brothers and sisters as followers of Christ, and hope others will do the same."

"Boersema, who wouldn't confirm directly whether Denver Christian Schools turned away any Mormons, told The Denver Post it wasn't as simple as saying the institution doesn't enroll Mormons.

"School policy invites everyone to apply. The schools have students from 151 different congregations, including Catholic parishes. However, Boersema said, the admissions process ensures students meet the basic requirement of a shared vision of evangelical Christianity.

"Denver Christian Schools is not in the business of being negative toward anybody," Boersema said. "It is in the business of being positive toward evangelical Christianity."

-------------------------------------------

Lesson to be learned: I guess it might be wrong to call all other religions false. When you have 30K missionaries spewing that mantra, you might get some blow-back.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 04:36AM

I had the same problem. I applied to study theology at a 'non denominational' evangelical university but they wouldn't accept me as they said TSCC's teachings were not in line with theirs.

Posted by: no-mo-mo ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 05:35AM

That's true, LDS doctrine is not in line with evangelical Christian doctrine for the most part.

I can understand enrolling in a Christian seminary to learn how they view theology (by way of contrast), but a Mormon like this kid and his parents would have to know that they are not going to be getting teachings in accord with their own views.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.