Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 05:30PM

I have resigned, but my NOM DH still attends occasionally and sometimes our kids go with him (please no judgement...we're doing our best to make compromises).

Anyhoo, my 11 yo daughter spoke in SM and I went to listen to her talk. She spoke on modesty and I pretty much wrote the talk. It was about dressing appropriately for the occasion and focused on modesty in actions more than dress. I'm sure it made the mormons uncomfortable at many parts. She did a great job!

Anyway in SS they instructor was a 20 something woman. it was her first week teaching and she started off by saying how she didn't feel comfortable being in charge while there were priesthood men in the room. She wanted one of the men to ask someone to offer the prayer. She definitely knows her place in the mormon food chain.

Her lesson was on the spirit world. It was pretty typical. She mentioned her friend's daughter that died and how we are so fortunate to know that this child is in the celestial kingdom. She then said, "she's probably hanging out with Joseph Smith right now"...she probly had that one right ;). I had to swallow a snort at that point.

She read a quote by JFS that said that all spirits are adult spirits...there are no children spirits. I raised my hand and commented that perhaps he was just speaking as a man because I had heard differently in church. She looked really uncomfortable and quickly changed the subject.

She made a big deal of separating the righteous and the wicked and said that she's so grateful that she has the gospel so she will be in paradise.

Anyway, I was once this teacher. I used to know everything too.

They also sang, "Let us all press on".

The lyrics "Let us all press on in the work of the Lord, that when life is over we may gain a reward" reminded me why I was so miserable in the morg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 05:36PM

Tauna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
She mentioned her friend's daughter
> that died and how we are so fortunate to know that
> this child is in the celestial kingdom. She then
> said, "she's probably hanging out with Joseph
> Smith right now"...she probly had that one right
> ;). I had to swallow a snort at that point.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 05:53PM

All spirits are adult spirits, which would mean Joe and others could have celestial or earthly sex with minors and not consider it pedophilia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 05:54PM by acerbicobserver.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 05:58PM

all spirits were born as adults?

a) So What

b) Where does that come from?

c) So What? what practical application - meaning would it / could it possibly have-be?

there are So Many things in Mormonism...that I 'just can't get' anymore.

but They're O.K. to-for the GAs, BECAUSE They're DISTRACTIONS away from the Basics of Christ-Like living!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 08:13PM

I had a chuckle over "Let Us All Press On" We jokingly called that the Ironing song! :-)

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 08:22PM

Hey Tauna, here's a good one for ya...One day as I sat in RS, One of the sisters goy up on their soapbox and proceeded to write on the board that we should NOT watch or even rent certain movies..."Anything R rated, and especially the following titles...of which that movie "Seven"(starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt). My instant response out loud was "Seven was a really good movie!" You shoulda seen the looks them women gave me!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 08:41PM

were driving to town to pick up some food for the kitchen (I was the head cookie). so, we get in the car and knowing his huge fascination with all things Beethoven, I asked him how he liked "Immortal Beloved." (which is R rated) He said, "Oh, I haven't seen it." I said "Oh, you really sHOULD! It was great" "No, I toyed with the idea, but decided against it." Gave him a puzzled look and then PING! the lightbulb came on and I said "Oh. uh...is that R rated?" He acknowledged that it was and we had a pretty good laugh about it. Then, when we got back to camp, he told everyone and they laughed.

What minutae it is to be concerned over a movie, or earrings, or shirt color or sleeves.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 08:25PM

brought back some bad memories. I liked the part about JS probably with the daughter in the spirit world right now. There is no doubt in my mind and I KNOW, that where there are young girls to be around, so to will the prophet Joseph Smith be (i.e. with his rod of iron).

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 08:32PM

...as though that would be what a mother would desire for her daughter!

Another one for the chasm of member ignorance.

Posted by: Boomer ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 09:10PM

When I was going, we were taught that parents who lost children would get to raise them in the next life, implying that the children would at least begin their celestial life as children. I think this came from the King Follett discourse.

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 09:20PM

I understood that for children who die (before age 8), they are adult spirits in the spirit world, and then are chidlren again after the resurrection (where the parents can then raise them).

LDS Corp sure likes to make it complicated...

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 11:01PM

I think I'll be a kid today. Can I have a lollipop?

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 09:41PM

That quote by Joseph F. Smith just represents another of the numerous contradictions in Mormon theology, because none of the prophets can tell the story straight.

Joseph Smith and Joseph F. Smith taught two completely opposite concepts:

"But as the child dies, so shall it rise from the dead and be forever living in the learning of God It will never grow: it will still be the child, in the same precise form as it appeared before it died out of its mother's arms, but possessing all the intelligence of God. Children dwell in the mansions of glory and exercise power, but appear in the same form as when on earth, Eternity is full of thrones, upon which dwell thousands of children reigning on thrones of glory, with not one cubit added to their stature."
— Prophet Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, 1844, vol. 6, p. 10

"All spirits are in adult form. They were adults before their mortal existence, and they are in adult form after death, even if they die as infants or children."
— President Joseph F. Smith, Gospel Doctrine, p. 455 and Gospel Principles, 1992, p 290

It's another case of duelling prophets and the "Living Prophet" Joseph F. Smith trumped the dead prophet Joseph Smith.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 11:59PM

When I lost my baby, the mormons in my life kept saying, "Well, at least you can find comfort knowing you can raise that baby in the next life."

Posted by: strewth ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 02:44AM

in spirit paradise?

Posted by: Raider ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 03:10AM

AAAAHHH The Chinese laundry song I remember it well " Let us all press on"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.