Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 07:03PM

My teen son left the church with me and so never learned much about the temple. He asked me today about it and after a quick summary of the secret names, covenants to give all your wealth, not speak ill of the authorities, etc. Of the former bloody oaths and death wishes, and showing him photos of the temple robes ("That's so gay!"), he asked, "But it takes a long time to make a few promises, why are you in there so long?"

So I went into monotonous detail about the trinity dialogues between Elohim, Jehovah and Michael on each of the creation days.

He then said, "Oh my god, that's got to bore someone to death. No wonder they pantomime slitting their throats. I would too if I had sit through all that crap."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2011 07:04PM by Jesus Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 07:08PM

imagine for a minute...what older teen children of converts going thru for First Time is...
(is there a cut-off when children have to be 'endowed' to be sealed to parents?)

Posted by: Adult of god on another computer ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 09:46PM

I was in my mid-fifties when I was sealed to my father and mother. They were sealed after my mother died. My aunt was the proxy for her. That was strange watching my father going through a wedding ceremony (such as it is in the temple) with my aged aunt. We were all pretty old. I got my endowments as a brand-new endowee with my special newby badge. Then we proceeded onto the sealing after we went through the veil and were in the Celestial Room for a while. We were ushered into a sealing room and performed that ceremony.

That was my one and only temple visit. I did it for my father and it made my TBM family very happy. But I was still the same as I always was. For me the whole experience had a very anthropological cast to it.

Date: September 18, 2011 10:28PM

I meant... what is the oldest a son/daughter could be sealed Without being endowed...

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 09:37PM

Smart kid. It is important to just tell them the truth about it all. Glad you did that.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 10:06PM

Only Straight people could come up with clothing that tacky.

In addition to educating your son about the absurdities of the Mormon Cult, you might suggest to him that using the word "Gay" as a pejorative is ignorant and obnoxious and unacceptable amongst civilized people. Unless he plans on living his life exclusively with Mormons and other bigots, he needs to learn that phrases like that will get him into all sorts of trouble.

Date: September 18, 2011 10:25PM

what's acceptable?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 10:36PM

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 10:38PM

Stupid, brainless, weird, dumb, idiotic, inane, meaningless, nonsensical, laughable, puerile, childish, ridiculous, silly, weak, absurd, balmy, bizarre, goofy, inappropriate, odd, wild, strange, wacky, cretinous, senseless, preposterous, banal....

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 10:50PM

into making promises no sane person would without the heavy indoctrination of church mania.

Date: September 18, 2011 10:53PM

I meant for being homosexual

Date: September 18, 2011 11:33PM

is it acceptable to call homosexuals 'gay'?

if it isn't (sure it's O.K. with some)... what is OK?

I don't think it is denegrating/offensive...

words are just words... Except N-----

Date: September 19, 2011 12:34AM

And using it as an adjective for Garments is absurd!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 10:41PM

I did my part on WoW and it was accepted well. ;)

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 05:58AM

Actually, I told him just that: it'd be funnier to say "that's so mormon!"

He's not prejudiced, just watches a lot of south park.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 11:13PM

It's painfully obvious that us gays had nothing to do with the temple ceremony. If we did it wouldn't be so incredibly lame. People would actually want to go to the temple if we had a chance to work our gay magic.

I go skiing with a group of people from work. We went to one resort that wasn't nearly as fun as we thought it would be. As we were going up the lift one of the guys said, "This place is so gay!" Then he looked at me, realized what he said, and apologized to me. (Yes, I work for the U.S. military in Utah and I'm out at work.)

I told him I wished the place was gay. If it were there'd be hot tub parties at all the cabins, the music would be incredible, and the food would be out of this world!

Date: September 18, 2011 11:19PM

Posted by: Hm. ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 11:23PM

Isn't it a stereotype to assume that gays have super fashion sense?

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: September 18, 2011 11:30PM

I don't claim to have any fashion sense. But if I were to design a ceremony to increase faith and devotion I sure as hell wouldn't dress everyone up as the Pillsbury Dough Boy!

Posted by: Well ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 12:14AM

I am bothered by the use of that term, that once meant "happy," for homosexuality.

Date: September 19, 2011 12:21AM

What exactly bothers you about it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2011 12:29AM by sonoma.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 12:39AM

Or that is n*****ly! It is demeaning. And I am a straight white male. But, I know disrespect when I see it!

Posted by: ? ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 01:27AM

Why was "niggardly" asterisked out? Unless you misspelled it ... lol

Date: September 19, 2011 01:46AM

Posted by: Jehovah ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 02:01AM

Maybe you all are homosexuals.

*Using best Schwarzenegger voice.*

Date: September 19, 2011 03:31AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.