Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ctus ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 12:07AM

It's that time of year again! I am always torn between my desire to support my children, and my hatred at APPEARING to support what they are being taught in this cult. They live mostly with their mother so I have little control over the fact that they attend church regularly. I love to see my children perform in any capacity and hate that this has to be one of those capacities. I hate having to even set foot in a mormon chapel.

Despite it all, I will be reluctantly walking into the damn place next Sunday at nine am to see my wonderful, beautiful, amazing son perform with all the other little brainwashed munchkins.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 12:26AM

Hopefully, when they get older they'll get to perform in non church related functions.

Date: September 19, 2011 12:31AM

A flask, now there's an idea! Best i can do at this point is encourage them to develop freedom of thought and to question everything!

Date: September 19, 2011 12:52AM

I do know they will be fine. I worry about the control their mother has over them in regards to religion. I hope that my disbelief, and the honesty I have shown them in this regard will give them a certain degree of a sense if safety should they begin to question.

Since our divorce and me allowing my self to investigate long held doubts, followed by my "apostacy", I have always been honest with them about my feelings towards the church. I have encouraged them to accept doubts as a natural direction of their intelligent minds. I tell them they have the right to question and investigate. I encourage them to have the courage to do so, even if they are in the minority.

I hope they can realize that I am their safety net if they decide they don't believe and i hope that i am big enough to support them if they do believe.

Date: September 19, 2011 01:38AM

Definitely trying to do the right thing. Honestly, as far as next Sunday is concerned, I am equally dismayed at the fact that this seriously screws up my efforts to stay off the morg radar. Oh well....

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 12:31AM

with 'Correlation', ALL of ChurchCos activities are programming for their Morg future.
the leaders can take Anything good & twist it to programming/indoctrination.

it's ALL so sad; they're building an airtight box around themselves...

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 12:37AM

That is really awesome that you're going...that takes a lot of class. Don't worry, I guarantee your kids will turn out fine...I remember being one of those brain washed munchkins! Absolutely encourage them to question everything...that's how my dad always was. Whenever we'd be talking about politics he'd say this is the Conservative party, they believe in this. This is the Liberal party they believe in this...and so on. (we're Canadian by the way haha) And then he'd be like okay, pick whatever one sounds good to you. And it's been the same with religion...and that has been the best thing for me...I turned out to be a really smart young woman with a good head on my shoulders...just give your kids the freedom to explore whatever's out there and let them know you'll support them either way, and I guarantee they'll make good choices!

Posted by: Calypso ( )
Date: September 19, 2011 12:58AM

It sounds like you are doing all the right things! I was in a really similar situation to your kids...my mom and dad were divorced and me and my siblings lived with my mom most of the time...she was (is) a HARDCORE TBM, like...one of the psycho crazy ones haha and my dad is a nevermo, one of the most chill, laidback guys ever...even though my mom forced us to go to church every sunday, we saw how much happier and more normal my dad was and that was enough for us to be like okay, bye bye mormonism. Plus he'd take us to Motley Crue and Aerosmith concerts hahaha that always helps to show the youngin's that the world can be a really fun place when you're not living the stupid lds lifestyle! But honestly, from a young person's point of view, keep doing what you're doing! You sound like an excellent parent!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.