Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SilkRose ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 09:47PM

Hi all,

I thank everyone for the thoughts and well wishes. This has been a pretty trying time for us the last two months. I am back in the states now. My husband is at Walter Reed in Washington D.C. It is an EXCELLENT hospital and due to the media attention a few years ago about the bad conditions, they are VERY careful about things now :).

DH received pretty extensive nerve damage to his neck, shoulder, arm and hand all on the left side. All of the shrapnel has been removed. He has regained some feeling in his shoulder and upper arm, however, none has returned to his hand and forearm at all. He is in physical therapy after a few surgeries...but the long term outcome is not in the positive for return of feeling.

The upside, is that he is home and alive and of all the things that could have happened, we are EXTREMELY lucky. Also, he will now be medically retired after his recovery is complete. Financially, we will be fine.

The downside, the weekend after all of this happened, another young guy (22 years old) was hit. He has lost his right leg, both of his testicles, and the rest of him is pretty much held together with pins. Two weekends after that, our best friend and my DH's platoon sargeant were both killed. The Platoon Sargeant is pretty much in pieces. Our best friend, thankfully, was able to have an open casket funeral...and some closure for his wife and four year old son. In this same incident, one guy was tossed out of the gun turrett and was unconscious for two weeks...he finally woke up last week. His jaw is wired shut, he is having major memory and cognitive issues. Another guy is paralyzed from the waist down, and yet another is left leg amputation from the knee down.

So, I guess I say all of this to say that we should definately all remember to always make sure the ones we love and care about know it, and take NOTHING in life for granted. The events of the last two months have been a little traumatic. The long term affects are yet to come. PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury will set in for those that are left.

Thankfully, through all of this, my pregnancy has been extremely stable and she is growing well. One less thing to worry about :)

I thank everyone that have been rooting for us and not forgetting. We are out of the scary woods now, but by no means is this the end of this ordeal.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Searching27 ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 09:50PM

I didnt find out about this until a few weeks after it happened! I am so glad that things are "ok" I am glad your husband is alive and I am so sorry for the loss of his friends and for their families.

I am also glad to hear your pregnancy is still stable with all that has happened. Please let me know if you guys need anything at all! ( I don't know if you remember me :) ) But we are off to Leonard wood soon.

I have thought about you all everyday since this happened and am so thankful for you all to be alright. And back home and getting good care. Like I said I will keep those families who have lost and the injured soldiers in my thoughts

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 09:50PM

Hoping for the best for you and everyone at Walter Reed.
Good to know you are OK.

Posted by: SilkRose ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:02PM

Searching, Of course I remember you :) I'm sorry you have to go to Wood...I know that wasn't your first choice....

Thank you both for the kind words they are really helpful to know that people care.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:03PM

So glad to hear from you.

He will be able to receive counseling for PTSD and other war related issues for as long as necessary, correct?

If there is anything that I can do, long distance unfortunately, let me know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 10:06PM by Tiff.

Posted by: anotherstatistic ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:04PM

My heart goes out to you and your family SilkRose. My DH is dealing with PTSD after his most recent yearlong...hasnt even been home a year and already there is talk of another deployment ;( It's heartbreaking to hear what you have been facing and I truely hope for the best for you and your family and the families of the friends you have lost. One day at a time, Sweetheart!

Posted by: Searching27 ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:05PM

just let me know if you need anything at all! I know we will be in different states, or if you just need to talk, you have my email and can always put a message out to me here too. Take care and I am just so relieved to hear from you :) Get some rest :)

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:23PM

My thoughts are with your family. I am glad he is getting some feeling back. War is horrible.... but the other choice- not acting to protect our country -is even worse. Is there an address or something where we could send cards to the wounded-your loved one for sure. I have my First Grade students do cards at least twice each yr. for various groups.

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:24PM

It's so good to hear from you; we've been wondering. Glad to know that your hubby is getting the care he needs. Please keep us updated when you're able. All the best to you and him!

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:32PM

I'm glad to know you're okay and that it's not all bad news.

I'm also grateful for your husband's service to our country and very sorry for all it has cost him and your family.

Sometimes it's shocking to consider the things I take for granted (more or less) every day.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:34PM

I'm glad that things have worked out for you as well as they have. I wish you all the best.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 01:15AM

I can tell hubby from personal experience that his is still at the bottom of a long hill. Progress is going to seem endless, and every couple of months or so, you have to look back to remind yourself of all that you've achieved. Nerves grow back a few millimeters a year, MY car accident was 15 years ago, and I will need a cane the rest of my life, but there are always those who are much worse off. And yes, feeling will never be what it was, but life will still be capable of joy. Cherish it.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 01:28AM

Glad to get your update. Sorry you guys have had to go through this. Glad your pregnancy is stable and baby girl growing.

Keep hanging in there. Warm wishes to you.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 01:47AM

OMG, I am so glad to see this post! I am glad that your husband is pulling through this, and I am sorry to heard about the rest of our boys injuries. From a fellow service member, thank you for all you have had to endure.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 04:20AM

As you said, this is difficult, but it could have been so much worse.

Do take care.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 06:20AM

I am glad to hear things are as good as they can be, given the horror your husband has been through, and you as well. Thanks for the update and you remain in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad to hear things have improved at Walter Reed as well. Our service people and vets deserve the best care.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 07:32AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 07:36AM by shannon.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 07:36AM

We've been posting "Anyone heard from SilkRose?" messages periodically for weeks. THANK YOU for the update!

War is horrible. I'm glad your husband is progressing (despite the dim prognosis) and I am so sorry for the pain of all the other military families close to you who have been injured/killed.

When is your due date? Are you planning to stay and deliver near WR or will you return to your home state for the birth?

Good luck - my best thoughts are with you.

Love,
Shannon ;o)

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 07:55AM

Just know that our thoughts (Beloved is also a vet) are with you and your hubby.

Those folks at Walter Reed are bad-a**!

Keep us posted!

Timothy

Posted by: yankeepedlar ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 08:15AM

Thanks for this update, just in time for "Veterans' Day," a time when all of us should contemplate the sacrifices being made daily far away from our comfortable lives at home.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 08:17AM

Hugs all around and thank you for holding everything together on the homefront. If there is a medal for "keeping the home fires burning" you and countless other wives, parents, partners, children, friends, and other family deserve it.

Your account is well written - upbeat and unsparing at the same time. Keep telling your story - it is the story of a nation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 08:17AM by msmom.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 10:18AM

Thank goodness you're husband is alive and on the mend. Positive vibes being sent.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 10:29AM

It's a long haul, but you are strong and determined. So happy the baby is developing well.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 10:49AM

you've been in our thoughts and posters have been asking if anyone had heard from you. so sorry to hear of the loss of your friends. hang in there and i'll be anxious to hear about the joyus birth of your daughter.

Posted by: jjnewbs ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:05AM

Glad to hear that he survived. I know this going to be trying time for him and hope him all the best. From another member of the Armed Services I say thanks for the service you have given.

Posted by: JBryan ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:08AM

All the best to you and your family in this terrible situation.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:14AM

My husband is a Vietnam Vet ex-POW. If you ever need someone to talk to about coping with the aftermath, please email me: heidigwotr@hotmail.com

Posted by: adamisfree2006 (formerly on_my_way_out_2) ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 11:36AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.