Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 07:40PM

Clyde McNeil M.D., writing ostensibly on tuberculosis in his article, "Causes of Death of Famous Men in History," leaves us with the legacy of Brigham Young, punctuated with a great ending on how Bionic Briggy met his end:

"I cannot refrain . . . form [sic] saying a word about that great American Brigham Young, who is unsurpassed as a husband and father.

"We are passing around photographs of twenty of his twenty-seven wives. He is said to have been a great connoisseur of women but he must have picked these blindfolded.

"In 1825, when Brigham was twenty-four, his first child was born. His second came five years later. Soon after her professed Mormonism, however, there was acceleration in the working of his reproductive apparatus. In 1849 a daughter was born in January, another in March, and a third in July, and a fourth and fifth in December. Five children were also born in 1850. Brigham became a father in January, February, March, and April 1851, and in 1852 children was born in March, April, and may. During the years of 1857 and 1859 business apparently took a slump, only one birth being recorded.

"Brigham was having trouble with the United States Government, and apparently took his mind form [sic] the important business at hand. In 1861, when he was sixty years old, two daughters were born to different wives on the same day. When he was sixty-two, his wives gave birth to three children in one month. Brigham’s last daughter was born when he was nearly sixty-nine years old.

"In all, he beget fifty-seven children, which is certainly no mean achievement.

"When Brigham Young was seventy-six, he died from what was thought to be an attack of choleral morbus, which was said to have been brought on by eating green corn and peaches. He left an estate of several million dollars."

http://www.innominatesociety.com/Articles/Causees%20of%20Death%20of%20Famous%20Men.htm

Is that a great bio, or what?

(P.S. for inquiring minds: "Choleral morbus" is a non-technical term no longer in scientific use that refers to a rather indelicate condition involving "acute gastroenteritis occurring in summer and autumn and marked by severe cramps, diarrhea and [sometimes] vomiting." It was "considered the 'true' form of cholera, or the one most widely experienced during the cholera epidemics in England during the 19th Century," as determined during the Victorian era by autopsies performed on human corpses sold to local anatomy schools for dissection; see: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cholera+morbus; http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/cholera%20morbus; and http://victoriancontexts.pbworks.com/w/page/12407328/Cholera%20Morbus%20Mortality%20Lists)

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2011 08:33PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 08:10PM

that they would be able to drink poison, or pick up snakes and not be harmed? You'd think the spirit would have told him not to eath rotten corn and peaches.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: September 22, 2011 08:23PM

Although BY was a tyrant. Maybe some found his death to be just peachy!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 08:53AM

Funny. Well, until I ran into this line:

"He left an estate of several million dollars."

Is that true? I hope this was not money from tithing or from the Church.

D

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 10:26AM

Hardly. I'm sure it represents revelations he was given by God himself to build up "an estate for mine inheritance" like unto his predecessor.

Maybe he sold the cattle from the Fancher party. Maybe it was wine manufacturing profits. Maybe it was protection money people paid not to be killed or poisoned while passing through Utah.

GA's draw a salary PLUS get fabulous perqs. Remember how he made sure the missionaries didn't pick off the pretty women and leave the dogs for the GA's? He was always seeing to important matters like getting his before others got theirs.

Even if he had to kill to do it.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:26AM

"Tithing" back then, as it is today, was only used for chapels, tempels, and schools. Brigham was a very caring and hard working man. He was also a savy invester. As a prophet he had the inspiration how to use his limited "living allowance" to invest wisely, just as the prophets today. He also made a ton off his book sales.

If this site had a font for "sarcastica", I would have used it. Ooh, I just choked on some vomit.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:34AM

deconverted2010 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny. Well, until I ran into this line:
>
> "He left an estate of several million dollars."
>
> Is that true? I hope this was not money from
> tithing or from the Church.

There was a very indistinct line between what was BY's and what was the Mormons'. After BY's demise, John Taylor incorporated the LDS org and reclaimed many of BY's supposed assets, since there was the very real danger of those assets going to BY's heirs. The incorporation protected LDS, Inc. from that happening again under subsequent profits.

All LDS, Inc.'s assets belong to the Corporation of the First Pres. of the COJCOLDS, and the COJCOLDS is simply a registered trademark belonging to said corporation. Technically, it's not a church.

BY was one rich mofo when he croaked, and he totally exploited his position to make that happen. He was a poorly educated tyrant who ruled with an iron fist. Think more along the lines of Warren Jeffs than the oligarchic MBAs and attorneys who run the current operation and you'll get the picture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 11:36AM by mrtranquility.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:29AM

BY appropriated alot of church property into his personal control. After he died his estate ($16 million?) was litigated over for years by his survivors (concubines and children).

There is also decent evidence and speculation that he died of poisining from a disgruntled concubine or child. You can google it. There were disputes at the time of his death over the actual cause of his death.

Sometimes a bad person dies badly, in which case there is at least a bit of justice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 11:47AM by elcid.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 11:43AM

As I understand, it is 'undisputed' that BY inter-mixed, inter-mingled ChurchCo funds with 'his own'.

.... Hail to the Profit....

These people apparently figured that no one later would check into how they ran things during their lives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.