Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonymous ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 04:11PM

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/movies/2011/09/the-book-of-mormon/

Mormon on FB is up in arms about this blog...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 04:20PM

Good stuff. "Just turn it off" is a common Morg theme, isn't it. Thanks for the link.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:16AM

I remember thinking, "Man, they do this so much in the Mo-church that they ought to start every sacrament meeting with this song!"

Denial and cog-dis - that's what it's all about. If you can't hang onto those, you wind up in Outer Darkness with the rest of us!!!!!

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 04:31PM

Sounds like the mormons are bearing their teeth... again.

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:19PM

Don't Mormons realize they make themselves look worse when they get so defensive about things like this?

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: September 23, 2011 06:24PM

Let's help this good doctor out. The mormons are whining because their religion isn't being respected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2011 06:25PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 12:38AM

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 01:14AM

Just sent the link to my therapist -- I mentioned this song to her a while back and it's cool to see that one of her peers recognized this as a sadly accurate portrayal of the psychological harm done by TSCC (albeit in a very amusing and clever package).

I sent the link to my mom too, and she'll probably respond with some sort of defense that only proves the Dr's point!

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 08:24AM

And mom did not disappoint.

She launched back a message about how strange it was that normally civil people could think it was okay to "leap all over" Morg beliefs (talking about Parker and Stone, not me I hope). To quote: "Name a belief system that doesn't have something to sully its past or to amuse its detractors!"

Seems she's buying into the "so now I'm a bigot and being oppressed for believing the Bible" argument that we get from the anti-marriage equality groups, Santorum, etc. Well, I'm not in any organization that's spending millions trying to change her sexual orientation or keep her from marrying the person she loves nor do I try to change her belief system with threats of hellfire and damnation or non-stop passive-aggressive comments.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: September 24, 2011 06:13AM

Brilliant comments QofD.

Ugh, it's SO infuriating when TBMs automatically resort to the whole "it's anti-mormon lies" cop out when faced with legit criticisms of the LDS church. QofD then gives this one guy the opportunity to defend his assertion "what incorrect assumptions did OP make?"

Response: um, well...backpeddle, oh crap...uh well I'VE always been taught to think for myself and teach my kids that too!...and other bullshit not answering the question.

Typical.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.