Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 10:11AM

I just looked up google and the words pay lay ale, and translation from Hebrew, mean " marvelous lucifer. I can't believe how stupid comitt ignorant, and totally uneducated I was to get married in the salt lake temple cult building and stand they're inside chanting pay lay ale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 10:28AM

where did you get that definition?

sounds legit .. got some sources?

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 10:43AM

Not true.

The following statement appears on the first page of Pay Lay Ale: An Examination of the Charge That the Mormons Call Upon Lucifer in Their Temple, by Jerald Tanner:

I feel that I owe the public a statement which sets forth my views. Although I do not profess to be a Hebrew scholar, I feel that my research throws some important light on the subject. Since I have been active in bringing forth evidence against the authenticity of Joseph Smith’s work, I would have been very happy to find that this new indictment was based on sound research. Unfortunately, however, a careful examination of the evidence has forced me to conclude that the charge is without foundation.

Wesley P. Walters, a Mormon history expert with some Hebrew training, also felt that the translation “Wonderful Lucifer” was incorrect. He tried to warn against spreading this idea but was unsuccessful. In our statement we pointed out that if the words “Pay lay ale” are really derived from Hebrew, a better rendering would be “Wonderful God.” While the identification of “wonderful” with pay lay is not certain (Wesley P. Walters, in fact, feels that it is questionable), ale does correspond perfectly to a Hebrew word for God. It is translated as el and is pronounced “ale.”2 While the Hebrew word Elohim is usually used for God, El is also found throughout the Old Testament.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:37PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> “Pay lay ale” are really
> derived from Hebrew, a better rendering would be
> “Wonderful God.”

I'l give you this: Ale is certainly wonderful, bordering on god-status. Add a pay check and getting some "lay" while having a little ale, well, I'd call that the most wonderful god ever. ;-)

I think the order would best be: Pay Ale Lay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 03:38PM by Jesus Smith.

Date: November 10, 2010 02:51PM

The raising and lowering of the arms and the hands are definitely satanic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 02:52PM by get her done.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 02:58PM

. . . especially when they've been perspiring too much.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:22PM

Don't believe this crap. It's unsubstantiated rubbish by ED DECKER. This guy gives critics of the LDS church a bad name.

Honest and reliable critics of the church such as Jerald Tanner wrote this regarding this claim by Decker:

"Unfortunately, Decker could not get over the sensationalistic claim that the words 'pay lay ale' actually meant 'Wonderful Lucifer'. He called Wesley P. Walters, who was one of the most knowledgeable critics of the LDS Church, and asked his opinion on the matter. Walters, who had also studied the Hebrew language, examined the claim and responded by frankly telling Mr. Decker that the idea could not be supported from the Hebrew language. According to Walters, Decker then stated that he did not care and was going to use the arguement anyway." (Problems in The God Makers II, p.49)

Please don't spread this false claim. There are so many other damaging facts of Mormon history that we don't need to make up stuff like this.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:43PM

They can't take any criticism of their demigod, justified or not.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:43PM

What makes you think those particular body movements are satanic?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 04:45PM

and I never knew I was doing something SATANIC?

Date: November 10, 2010 04:10PM

google------The satanic riturals....Note how they close each sessions with hands raised all together. That's why I believe raising the arms are a demonstration to togetherness in worshiping satan. Any other questions?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 04:44PM

As is Satan.
Lots of people raise their arms/hands together. Nobody has the copyright on that.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 05:22PM

get her done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> google------The satanic riturals....Note how they
> close each sessions with hands raised all
> together. That's why I believe raising the arms
> are a demonstration to togetherness in worshiping
> satan. Any other questions?

Or maybe modern day "Satanists" got it from other non-satanic source
?
If Smith got it from anywhere it was probably masonic, occultic or from some folk magic practices he was familiar with. All of which modern day fundies will just label "Satanic" (i.e. anything that's not straight from the Bible) anyway.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 05:29PM

They got their stuff from research on the original Knights of Templar rituals.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 04:23PM

I thought most of the ceremony was derived from masonic rituals.

Satanic worship was pretty unheard of in the US during JS's time and very rare even in Europe. Modern Satanism didn't arise until the 1960's under LeVay. Obviously this is long after TSCC established their temple rituals.

How would JS have even been exposed to any Satanic rituals in the first place? It's all a bunch of meaningless crap everyone tries to give some sort of deeper meaning to, even by those who know the church is a fraud. Obviously it didn't come from Gawd, therefore it came from Satan? Really doubt it.

Seems like the rumor is just a scare tactic created by fundamentalist Christians and should be blown off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 04:36PM by vhainya.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.