Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tedious ( )
Date: September 26, 2011 11:05PM

The apologist Daniel C. Peterson made a bit of an appearance in the comments section of the recent Huffington Post article by Katie Hawkes entitled

LDS Church Ad Campaign: Why Mormons Are on Your Billboards

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/katie-hawkes/mormons-ad-campaign_b_959298.html

One commenter just cracked me up with his quote (commenter ChinoBlanco - hat off to you). I reproduce it here:

"Once the most well-known Mormon apologist on the planet has been reduced to defending Book of Mormon historicit­y in comments here at Huffington Post, I'm no longer sure there's much left to defend. Seriously, Dan, pick your battles. You might as well be arguing the truth of transubsta­ntiation with Zen Buddhists for all it matters. It's nuts. Let it go."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 12:17AM

Oh yeah, he's already tried that and got booted off. I think it's best he just remained ensconced at his faux-ivory tower in "Happy Valley."

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 12:58AM

Ha ha. Perfessor Danell has some upwards of three hundred fellers willing to sign off on Mormonism. And these are REFLECTIVE people. That's even better than regular folks. He sure knows what he's doing, I guess.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 05:28AM

If you read some of them you will see that technically the website is apostate...

It is also there that John Gee presents his opinion that Egyptology is a waste of time without the Church. I wonder if his non-mormon colleagues have read what he thinks about them and their work...

Posted by: Tedious ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 04:23PM

But many of these testimonies are from people who's tithing money is withheld at source (ie, people who work for BYU).

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 12:59AM

Claiming how he was cutting back his Internet posting...

You mean he was fibbing?

Posted by: once more to the top ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:57PM

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:03PM

Posted by: just saying ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 07:14AM

Don't miss this.

"There are More Comments on this Thread. Click Here To See them All"

It expands to many more comments.

Date: September 28, 2011 09:51AM

I'm afraid I'll have to disabuse Denial C. of that small audience claim; I sent a link to two individuals I know well (Simon Southerton being one), along with your directions to expand the comments, and I suspect they'll share it with some of their friends as well...

Natuska cleaned DCP's clock, period...

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 02:19PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Natuska cleaned DCP's clock, period...

I suspect Dr. Peterson is immune to all embarrassment at this point, but he should be humiliated. I owe Natuska and Tapir Rider a debt of gratitude. I used to think Peterson just had a blind spot, but was otherwise intelligent, but after reading his thoughts on the Bat Creek Stone, I'm beginning to think he's just a total loon.

He may be an intellectual giant among Mormon men, but it's time for him to stop talking out of his ass on the public internet-- the rest of us know baloney when we read it.

Date: September 28, 2011 03:26PM

First identified by Hugh Nibley's daughter, where the option is either acknowledge the church for the fraud it is or cling to one's faith and disavow the obvious... Where the only option, then, is to go crazy...

That's my provisional take... I have my own abilities and education I've used occasionally to engage the apologists, and others have complimented me on them, but I stand in awe of what I saw here.

I might have some compassion left, but I've seen DCP's actions in the past, and he certainly warranted the fate he brought on himself.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:45PM

Posted by: ontheDownLow ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 05:07PM

When I was suspecting the church to be a con, I read something about the 1930 BOM having changes and I was reviewing them on the internet. Then, it dawned on me that I had purchased a video at Deseret Book called Evidences of the BOM. In this movie, within the first 2 minutes, Dan Peterson lies and I caught it. He said that the BOM has never been changed in its 200 year history. After looking at the non-gramatical changes, its clear, this guy is a bald face liar.

These guys are just paid to lie. It makes u wonder who else is paid of in Vegas to cheat the visitors of their money????

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 05:24PM

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 05:31PM

This thread reminds Ziller of a story ...

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,251961,251961#msg-251961

Ziller

Date: September 28, 2011 05:56PM

http://www.salamandersociety.com/interviews/danielcpeterson/

I don't do snakeskin vests although I have a pair of cowboy boots made from lizard...

Posted by: Topperovitch ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 07:52PM

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 12:51AM

I think the title of this article sheds a lot more light on why you see Mormons on billboards.

Mormon Church Tries to Resurrect Its Image, Spends Millions to Repair Prop 8 Damage

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fred-karger/mormon-church-tries-to-re_b_739652.html

The Mormons are smart. They fear that people will see them as sexist, so they have a female blogger write the party line, with a quaint tone. No wonder I always feel I'm watching a paper towel commercial.

T-Bone

... and I'm an ex-Mormon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 01:03AM by T-Bone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.