Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: September 26, 2011 11:35PM

page instead of my news. On that page they want me to decide on some friend requests, search for more friends, and choose from among people I mostly don't know or don't want as friends. Is anyone else having this problem?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2011 11:37PM by atheist&happy:-).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: odin ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 12:11AM

You too? I thought I was special.

Date: September 27, 2011 12:20AM

I hope it's a phase, because it is annoying. I have good reason for not adding certain friends yet, and don't want to be friends with my former sister-in-law's sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, and their children. I don't know them. I'm pretty sure I bought something from one guy on eBay over 6 years ago. There are many random atheists I do not know, etc.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 12:15AM

No I haven't seen this. Are you new to FB by any chance? I really don't like the new layout.

Date: September 27, 2011 12:26AM

I thought it might be, because I do not have many friends, and because I am ignoring some requests.

Date: September 27, 2011 01:52PM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 01:59PM

It'll stop bugging you after that.

You don't have to add new friends, but it wants you to click the "continue" button as it points out new features.

Hope that helps!

Date: September 27, 2011 03:30PM

does not offer any kind of tour.

I did tell FB "not now" on adding some friends, and it asked me whether I knew them or not. It's extremely annoying. FB thinks I'm too introverted - apparently not good for their bottom line.

Date: September 27, 2011 05:24PM

that does not work unless you only e-mail friends, and relatives (these are people I already know how to find). It imported people I mostly do not know or dislike.

I clicked on "Find Friends", and it let me manage or remove these, but the "Welcome" page persists.

Date: September 27, 2011 05:27PM

Yes, the importing friends is a big oops.

But the way you're describing your facebook, with the constant welcome page, isn't something I've seen before.

Date: September 27, 2011 05:40PM

It says "Welcome to Facebook, my name.", and says "1. Add people you know"

It lists people from my TBM days, which brings up bad memories, and PTSD. Although I removed the "imported contacts" they are still there, and it will not let me hide them. I never thought FB would become annoying. They let me have control before.

I always thought of adding certain relatives to annoy them (lots of xstians), but really I do not want them in my space.

Date: September 27, 2011 07:33PM

I'm not finding anyone else who is having this problem, so I can't find a solution either.

Date: September 27, 2011 07:56PM

I don't think it's the browser, because I just signed in using a different one, and it is still there.

Maybe it thinks I have a new account, and no friends or maybe there is a new change where if you have few friends it will act as if you have none.

I looked at the account settings to see if I could choose to change the page somehow, but came up with nothing so far.

Date: September 27, 2011 07:59PM

Date: September 27, 2011 09:14PM

I really hate seeing certain TBM's show up, or cousins I hate now, and a lot of people I do not know except years ago I bought something from them or asked them a question once on eBay.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 02:01PM

The cult was always pushing us to make more new friends, and convert them into the fold.

300 just isn't enough friends. Don't you want to appear popular?
(The average number of friends is 2-3 for men, and 4-5 for women in the US.)

Why allow unnecessary stress and pressure into your life. Ugh.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 06:53PM

Why does FB have to change things? I liked the old FB. At least I understood how it worked. I really don't see the need to fix something that isn't broken.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 07:39PM

Almost every update of facebook so far has been for the worse.

Date: September 27, 2011 07:41PM

Most everyone I know on FB is complaining about it.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 07:37PM

I feel like I don't have any privacy with the new changes. I already have a hard time with FB. I rarely post anymore. Too many people in my business.

Date: September 27, 2011 07:39PM

I just don't want to figure it out again. Once was enough.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:48AM

FB has made it into a job for me to keep up with their changes, and I already have one job. I don't need another.

I feel like I don't understand it any more.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:10PM

"Every time they make a change, people get angry. I've never myself been angry because I have always assumed everything I post to Facebook is public. That the act of putting something there, a link, picture, mini-essay, is itself a public act.

"This time, however, they're doing something that I think is really scary, and virus-like. The kind of behavior deserves a bad name, like phishing, or spam, or cyber-stalking.

"What clued me in was an article on ReadWriteWeb that says that just reading an article on their site may create an announcement on Facebook. Something like: "Bull Mancuso just read a tutorial explaining how to kill a member of another crime family." Bull didn't comment. He didn't press a Like button. He just visited a web page. And an announcement was made on his behalf to everyone who follows him on Facebook. Not just his friends, because now they have subscribers, who can be total strangers."

http://scripting.com/stories/2011/09/24/facebookIsScaringMe.html

Date: September 28, 2011 01:35AM

FB should not exploit users by telling others what they read, and where they go. That would essentially be using me to advertise an article for example, because I would have no say in whether I recommended it or not - it's like a banner ad that follows me to my space. It's not good to use people like that. People like to have choice of what they share, and share it in context. People deserve privacy too.

The Hacker News said these are apps that require permission, but I still think things could happen accidentally. A few times I nearly clicked a like button by accident. Also, we know they collect this information anyhow, and marketers pay for it. For marketing, I find it amusing that the capitalist powers that be want to know how to market to a consumer like me, but forget I have no money. I suppose others like me do, but I do not.

Abuse by government is more disturbing to me. Certain parties have shown their willingness to abuse rights when they are in power. In the past they went after left leaning groups, and accused them of terrorism, and other things, but of course the courts sided with the groups.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 01:38AM by atheist&happy:-).

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:23PM

Best thing I ever did.

Date: September 28, 2011 01:35AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 01:36AM by atheist&happy:-).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.