Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 03:33PM

LOL I love my daughter. She still has a lot of TBM surface 'trappings', but I found out the other day when we went to Starbucks together that she likes their frappuccinos :D
She doesn't like it if I go shopping on Sunday but she sometimes skips all or some of her three hours of stultifying Sunday boredom without complaint. Now that she's 18 and an adult, it's becoming clear that RS doesn't have much to offer an intelligent, ambitious, Berkeley-bound young woman who dreams of writing and traveling to learn about different cultures and beliefs.
She clings to a lot of the ingrained indoctrination, but she is slowly forging her own path and I am so excited for her and the possibilities of her future. I'm more concerned about her younger brothers because of the pressure to go on missions and priesthood stuff that girls automatically escape since they lack a penis.
Anyway, one of life's little surprises and a touch of 'normalcy' I couldn't help remarking on!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 03:39PM

Don't you just love it when stuff like that happens? It's just like a Freedom from Mormonism vaccine they can take orally. My teenage son is like me - he tends to crave one when he's just had too much of his Mormon friends or family. This Friday, the early morning seminary kids got talked into wearing church clothes to school all day as a "missionary" effort. Although a talk about Mormonism that starts "Why are you dressed weird today?" probably won't end with converts. I don't get why Mormons don't see that. Anyway, son has informed me I'd better have a bottle of frappuccino waiting with his breakfast because he's going to need it to get through the day. He doesn't attend seminary and is not dressing up but he still thinks it will be over the top.

Posted by: intellectualfeminist ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 03:50PM

Aw thanks CA girl, sounds like we're in a very similar boat :D
OMG......wearing church clothes to school. That's so......"normal". See, we're just like you! We wear church clothes to school in a "missionary" effort because that's what normal people do! *cult*cult*cult*cult*cult*cult*cult*cult*cult*cult*cult*cult*
Yeah, good luck with that :O
These poor kids have enough pressure on them already; they don't need to be perfect and set a Mormon example every effing second of the day!
At least seminary for my middle son starts later than most, because he has a schedule where he has only four classes throughout high school and he doesn't have to get up too much earlier than he normally would anyway.
Glad your son is beyond most of that by now ;)

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 10:37PM

That's about the stage I was at in my senior year at YBU. I started skipping the some or all of the three hours of meetings, and found my Sundays to be so much more peaceful, spiritual and restful. I started sampling coffee-flavored ice cream and enjoyed non-alcoholic beer products. I also stopped wearing the magic underwear. It was funny, at first I felt like I had to be extra careful "out there" without my protective underwear--even though I couldn't think of any rational reason for really believing in that nonsense. I guess it was all the years of conditioning. You can't shake it off overnight. Only a year after that, I was drinking hard core cups of the drink of the demon bean and even sampling real beer.

So if you're daughter's already entering that phase, she's off to a good start. ;o)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 10:41PM

I went inactive before my twins turned 8. I had them take seminary because I was still a believer, but I had issues to deal with with my marriage.

My daughter and her friends were drinking different coffees in middle school. I found out YEARS later that at age 14, she tried marijuana. She was running with mormon girls. SHE broke off the friendships at age 15. She was anti-mormon until about age 20 and hung out with nonmos and inactive mormons. One day she lowered the boom on me--and told me she had gone back to the LDS church and not only that, but was going to the ward I lived in (though she didn't live with me).

She is over the top TBM these days--5 years later.

I never drank until age 48 and still don't drink much. I don't like coffee. I have never so much as touched a cigarette or any drugs . . . and I'm the sinner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.