Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 08:06PM

As for the spiritual experiences we had in the church, they can be explained in two ways:
God works in our lives regardless of the vehicle we choose to worhip in or, It is all in our heads.

After too much obsessing and searching for answers, I can not think of a single reason to believe any of the unique claims of the church. Every single unique claim or teaching has been proven false and too many essential truths have been abandoned and become taboo.

What is true in the church can be found everywhere else and with better understanding.

While we are trained to fear the word apostasy, remember that when a person joins the church she is praised and lifted up for bravely repenting of her false beliefs at all cost, but to the old belief system she is an apostate condemned by her family.

Let us look forward to the light we seek and stop looking back at the darkness we are trying to flee.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 08:17PM

May I add, for the LDS church the word "true" is sprinkled onto everything like sugar on a kid's morning corn flakes; I'm not well versed in other religions/demonitions, but elsewhere I hear phrases like "Jesus saved me" or "I live the gospel", never the-lady-doth-protest-too-much insecurity of "the church/BoM is true."

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 08:23PM

Great point!

No, other denominations don't talk about how their church is true. They simply state the tenets of their religion as fact. It's true that this confidence is misplaced in many and possibly all cases. But it's refreshing to think of spiritual people who are so confident in their religion that they don't need to use other people's agreement to convince themselves.

Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:40PM

You know, that IS a great point - I had never thought about it that way. You're absolutely right! Thanks for bringing that up.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:44PM

http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-353-21,00.html
"Each of us has to face the matter—either the Church is true, or it is a fraud. There is no middle ground. It is the Church and kingdom of God, or it is nothing."

Gordo knew it was and chose God' Kingdom on Earth obviously. It goes down smoother and helps one sleep than thinking he is bilking suckers out of millions.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:48PM

http://lds.org/new-era/2011/05/the-right-decision?lang=eng
"The Holy Spirit touched me for the first time. I knew that as I said “amen.” I had been told by the missionaries and my close friends who had introduced this new gospel to me that “I would feel of the Spirit, and it would let me know.” I knew that it had."

But saying "I know The Church is True" when what you are REALLY saying is "I feel The Church is True" is just how Mormonism works. A lie, plain and simple.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 10:01PM

Even in my most rabid TBM days, I would sometimes get chastized for saying "I believe..." instead of "I know...". But to be honest, there are somethings that you can not "know", such as whether there is a God, etc.

In the end, the mormon test of truth is whether you feel good when you think about it being awesome that the church is true.

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 10:29PM

The church is both good and unique. But the things that make it good are not unique and the things that make it unique are not good.

That pretty much sums up what I think about the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.