Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:52PM

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=8d30767978c20110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=32c41b08f338c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
Being True to the Church
Story

Share the following experience of a young Latter-day Saint doctor:

“I did not realize how much the Church had done for me until I left my home and went to study at a large medical university. I feared I could not keep up with the other students. There were only four Mormons in the entire class, but we all soon found out that we had an advantage over most of the others because of the opportunities the Church had given us. We were not afraid to stand in front of our classes and give reports. We could work well with our classmates and teachers because we had taken part in Church activities that had given us these skills. We did well in our studies because we had learned that help is always near, through prayer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: introvertedme ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 09:55PM

Pfffffffftttt!!!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 10:17PM

Also, we learned early in our youth how to automatically do whatever we are told without wasting time evaluating the ethical implications of any given situation.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 27, 2011 11:35PM

+1 :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 07:56AM

Get the dough and fill prescriptions.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 08:52AM

FACEPALM time.

He doesn't seem to realize what a pompous jackass he sounds like.

Posted by: tsawyer2 ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 09:00AM

This is so patently ridiculous. Are they saying that those skill sets can only be learned through the TSCC? This is laughable.

Posted by: Nevermodoc ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 09:12AM

Hmm
I'm an atheist family doctor and I find it interesting how my ultra religious patients( who are not aware of my non belief because I don't confront them with their nonsensical beliefs ) love me because I'm not judgmental and I'm compassionate. I have an evangelical preacher who's whole family drives miles to see me but I know other patients of mine that have been hurt emotionally by things he preaches.I wonder how these Mormon's, who are now doctors, treat ALL their patients based on the Mormon lens they view the world through. I deal with peoples mental health problems that arise out of the discordance between real world humanistic values and desires vs the religious dogma they have been taught. This is one of the most common cause of mental health problems I deal with.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 09:14AM

Actually, scripture chasing in seminary probably did help. You had to spend countless hours reading and memorizing intricate, ridiculous shit that makes no sense, and then spit it back out later.

Sounds like that skill would help someone in law school as well.

I'm a bit of an introvert, not terribly shy, but I don't like large crowds of people for very long (it wears me out). One positive thing that mormonism did for me was force me to develop leadership (to some degree) and public speaking skills. There's a "president" and "counselors" to just about every division of people within the church. I was president of the Beehives, of the MIA maids, and of the Laurels. Not that we did all that much, holding those "offices," but I know I was sent up to the podium and gave all sorts of presentations in classes or wherever.

As someone who later majored in public relations, I actually find those skills pretty useful. That said, I also got experience with the exact same things in high school, and in the Boy Scouts Explorers Post, and in college, and in my part-time job after school... There's more than one way to teach study skills, learn public speaking, or skin a cat.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 11:08AM

Not to be defending the Mo-Mos but what the good doctor is saying rings true. I too am a direct beneficiary of all those public speaking opportunities, correlation committees, etc. The fact I gained those skills swimming in a cess pool doesn't mean I did not in fact gain the skills.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 11:29AM

Well what if the good doctor was given all those "opportunities" under the Nazi rule of Germany? Does that make him more exceptional than the others in his graduating class?

Who cares if he learned to be a freaking superhero team player? He sounds like he is oh so willing to gratify his ego talking about his accomplishment of becoming a doctor.

How about, "I learned to give everything I had in life and focus on one thing for extraordinary amounts of time, even years so that I could have a title of DR that brings me recognition......after all,... ya'll wouldn't give a shit what the average person doing mundane and unapreciated work did to get thier educations would you?"

Look at me, Look at me, look at me!!!!! Im special! You can be like me too.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:06PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
".....There were only
> four Mormons in the entire class, but we all soon
> found out that we had an advantage over most of
> the others because of the opportunities the Church
> had given us."

I mean WTF????? From a nevermo standpoint, I don't know nor CARE what someone else's religion is. I don't ask.

This guy went to medical school (as did the other mormons) and somehow sought each other out.

Maybe if he didn't seek or have other mormons in his class, he could have opened his eyes to the real world.

Instead him and his mormon buddies made a little Utah County bubble around them so they wouldn't be "tempted" by them heathens....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.