Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 12:03AM

According to this article 80% of unmarried Christians 18-29 are having sex, compared to 88% of the rest of the population. I was very interested in the comment that

"Sociologically speaking, the one big difference – and it’s monstrous – between the biblical teaching and our culture is the arranged marriages of very young people. If you get married when you’re 13, you don’t have 15 years of temptation."

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/27/why-young-christians-arent-waiting-anymore/?hpt=hp_t2

I guess the FLDS have the solution to that.

So much for abstinence programs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:27AM

Good!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:35AM

and so are some of the / us Older ones!

Posted by: Asator ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 02:55AM

Just as long as they are wrapping it up, the last thing we need is more Christians!

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 03:39PM

Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 03:00AM

I have a 21 year old friend who is very very christian who was a virgin up until 5 months ago. Up until that point she had been very adamant about not having sex until she was married.

I was soo relieved when I found out she decided not to wait!!

Posted by: orphan ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 05:08AM

Boy Oh Boy!! I miss those days of long ago. Sex is like a good glass of wine. Nothing better.

Posted by: jackol ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 05:59AM

When I was in that age group I thought only a small number of my fellow church members were having sex. I have since learned just about all of them were doing it at one point or another. This statistic seems pretty accurate to me.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 09:11AM

And those over 29 are having really GOOD sex from long experience.

Ron

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 10:05AM

The other 20% are masturbating...

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 10:53AM

Just because their hitched to some old fart as wife #6 (or was it #7) in something referred to as a "marriage" doesn't change the fact.

Posted by: Seahorse ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:38PM

I've always thought that the "abstinence only" BS was BS. Too bad those "kids" don't get all the information they need for a safe and happy sex life. Or maybe they look it up on their own, but considering the statics on teen pregnancies in states that only teach abstinence, it looks like they are learning too little too late.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 01:50PM

The other 20% are having oral sex or anal sex and using the old but new line that it is not really sex.

Christians should have sex....often and well.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 11:49AM

60% of men and 16% of women surveyed in 1920 reported having premarital sex--and nearly all of them were Christian.

Between 10- 20% of women were pregnant before marriage in Colonial America. Between 30-40% of women in 1750 were pregnant when they married.

30% of Italian immigrant women, surveyed in NYC in the 1930s, were, too.

If even the Puritans didn't practice strict celibacy before marriage, I'm not too surprised by today's stats.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 11:53AM

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 02:03PM

That's what kills me about the hypocrisy of the religious right, condemning the world for being so immoral, when they themselves are all doing it too. Preaching abstinence only when they own kids are gettin busy. Condemning gays when the Christian heteros are all fornicating too.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 02:07PM

The national census of Great Britain shows around 70% of the population *identify* themselves as Christian, yet only about 10% regularly attend church.

I always bear these statistics in mind when I read things like this.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 03:10PM

That little factory was just nothing but trouble, doncha know.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 03:51PM

With ubiquitous, effective contraception, and a woman's ability to earn her own keep, the moral strictures become very archaic. A 25 year old college grad can pay her own rent with her career, and can sleep with a man without worrying about getting knocked up.

It's not a like an adult woman who has sex with a man will likely get pregnant and be stuck with a baby she can't afford these days. There are too many contraceptive and career options for her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.