Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mctibbetts ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 08:13AM

How upset would a mormon be if they couldn't baptize their children? My brother is trying to sever all ties to an ex wife and wants her parents to adopt them. Do you think this would work?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 08:14AM by mctibbetts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: King Benjamin ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 11:27AM

Is he trying to sever his ties to his children and wants his ex-inlaws to adopt his children? Does he want to personally be adopted along with his children by his ex-inLaws?

Would he be the pissed off one? Who's pissing off whom?

If he's adopting his children out because he hates his ex-wife, then he's an ass. If he's adopting his children out because he's an ass, then he deserves to be a pissed off Mormon. If he's adopting his children out because he really doesn't love them, I just don't know what to say about that.

I suppose I just don't understand the context of your question.

Posted by: mctibbetts ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 10:16PM

He had three children with her before the divorce. He is trying to sever all ties with the children and his ex. The ex is living with her parents and refusing to work because she has an ample child support check, and my brother isn't able to care for his new family with whats left. He wants the grandparents to adopt them. If he were to withhold their right to be baptized, do you think they would let him terminate his parental rights?
Whether he is an ass or not is not in question, just whether this will work.
Thanks

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 12:18AM

The main obligation of family court is to make sure the children are taken care of, and the judge may react very poorly to this plan. The mother has no reason not to tell the court about your brother's extortion-like attempt, and her lawyer will probably have a field day with it. Your brother might end up with no parental rights AND a child-support obligation. If he really wants to lower his child-support payment, then he should talk to a lawyer and see what his real options are.

It's also possible, based on what I know of church leadership behavior, that they may baptize the children anyway without your brother's permission or knowledge, on the authority of their mother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 12:20AM by silverlightx.

Posted by: AtheistMarine ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 10:23PM

What I've found is the best way to piss them off: when they go to shake your hand tell them you wanna do the 1st token of the aaronic Priesthood. Haha, my friend wouldn't talk to me for an hour! Which is significant since we were sitting next to each other on a 9 hour bus ride.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 10:24PM by AtheistMarine.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.