Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 02:08PM

Yes, constantly. I think one of the most beneficial things to meditate on is the fact that one day, possibly today, it will all be over.

It helps eliminate the petty stresses that most people deal with because they think they'll live forever. Who has time to stress out over nonsense that, when compared with death, really doesn't matter at all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 02:21PM

The thought passed through my mind. I shrugged, "Yeah, so?" And it was gone.

We've all already NOT existed for a long long long time. Afterward it will probably be the same, with us being just as unaware of it. There will be no "me" thinking, "Wow, this sure is a long time."

Posted by: Cookie Monster ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 09:44PM

That thought has been on my mind lately. I'm not really sure why. It isn't as though I was aware of this fact. It didn't bother me before. I guess I'm just a little sad that this is all there is. Don't get me wrong - it is amazing that biological life like us exists. I try to take comfort in knowing that when I die, I really will be going to be with those who have died before me. Not in some mythical heaven or hell, but decomposing into the simple elements of which we are all made. I guess I wish I knew there was a concrete meaning or goal to life. Wouldn't that be nice. Oh, well.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 11:35PM

Cookie Monster made me think, and not about cookies. What if the life we're living is the most dazzling and amazing thing that ever happened to a sentient being? There's nothing to compare to. We might absolutely be in the lowest kind of Hell there is

I want a cookie.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 10:20PM

I still can't get used to being older than my father and way older than my mother would ever admit to being!

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 11:47PM

I used to ponder that a lot.

I eventually concluded that there was no logical way for matter to be aware of anything, and that there therefore had to be a non-material explanation. It's on that basis that I've always assumed we had consciousness independent of our bodies.

This doesn't imply that God exists, and it doesn't imply that such a "whiff" of consciousness can have any material effect on the world. I just estimate that an afterlife of some sort, possibly a form of existence we would think of as alien or incomprehensible, is very likely.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 11:51PM

It used to bother me that I wouldn't know how it all ended. Then I realized that the earth has been here for millions of years. There was probably another civilization way back before the before that wondered the same time.

This IS how it's all going to end up. I get to see it all. After I'm gone, the cycle will complete, rinse and repeat. We build our civilization up, bomb ourselves to oblivion, build ourselves up......etc.

Anagrammy

Posted by: trufflelily ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 12:22AM

I find it somehow satisfying that I, my intelligence, is a part--even if it is such a minuscule part--of the Big Bang. I am like one little tiny atom that blinked on and will blink off, but I am a part of it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 12:58PM

Posted by: ablmu65 ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 01:26PM

Although I am still a practicing Mormon I still hope that when that day comes and it is my time that due to Alien attack or a Zombies hoard and yes I am not normal. in case you were wondering.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.