Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon2day ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 08:08PM

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=968&sid=17275603

“President Paredes extended a promise to the members of the church that if they go exclusively to the temple and not for shopping or for fun, they will return home safe,”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snb ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 08:21PM

Over 10,000 Americans cross the border every day. If there were any real danger, we would be seeing a significant amount of tourists disappearing. Instead, traffic still flows.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 12:40AM

i think you're WRONG.

Date: September 29, 2011 01:48AM

Thinking I am wrong is very different than knowing I am wrong.

Look it up my man. In the past five years, how many Americans have been caught up in the drug war? You will find that very few of them have.

Of course, I have lived in Northern Mexico, and I even took a road trip straight through Ciudad Juarez down into Central Mexico this last summer.

However, don't take my word for it. Look it up.

Posted by: sivab1 ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 09:28PM

And yet an awful big promise to make with big consequences for a cult building that means nothing. If the church REALLY cared about members they would close the temple so people wouldn't feel guilty about not attending and entering a war zone. INSTEAD they do all they can to guilt them MORE by talking about how they are missing out on a great faith promoting activity.
"We go just to the temple once a month, and many times we feel that angels watch over us as we drive across the border. We know that if we do our part, the Lord will do his.”
Oh yeah, so this way when and if something DOES happen we can blame it on that individual maybe stopping for some shoes or that they probably just didn't have enough "faith" to protect them or like those people that were attending a birthday party-I guess that wasn't on God's guaranteed safe activity list.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 12:41AM

Yeah; it's like Mexicans can't /shouldn't go shopping now.

thanks, ChurchCo, for another load of CRAP

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: September 28, 2011 11:01PM

According to President Paredes, You are safe if you're not traveling there for shopping or fun. If you go there for fun or shopping, you will be shot and thrown onto a pile of bodies.

Those are some strict rules of entry, pardner. Might make a man think twice about going to that Templar.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 12:45AM

While I was working in El Paso, all soldiers and their families from Fort Bliss were banned to travel to Juarez. They were recognizable and easy targets. All Americans were discouraged from travelling there for any reason.

During the time I worked there, there were over two hundred murders of female factory workers (none investigated or solved).

Send your clean-cut possibly military and very American child to Mexico? That would make you an idiot, staying home waiting for the phone call and later spending months hoping someone will help find your child's body.

Read the U.S. State Department's recommendation. It's more real than a temple recommend. Nobody is there to watch out for them and the have a bull's eye painted full on those white shirts.

Date: September 29, 2011 02:01AM

I would ignore the state department warning without much thought. In fact, I have many, many times in the past. They, as an organization, are highly political and have to cover all of their bases to protect themselves against getting sued.

If you want accurate information about an area, I have found that it is best to try and get in touch with the people who travel back and forth on a regular basis.

The hysteria surrounding our border with Mexico has always been something that has been very interesting to me. I remember the murders in Ciudad Juarez too. If I remember correctly, none of those females were American tourists crossing the border to shop for the day.

Still though, when drug gangs kill members of other drug gangs or terrorize the local populace, people automatically think that white tourists are in trouble. The reality is that Mexicans kill other Mexicans down there all of the time, but in the past five or so years there are very few instances of American tourists getting killed.

Sadly, misinformation is the nature of hysteria.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 02:08AM by snb.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 09:35AM

There are places you definitely avoid- Like Nogales when the sun goes down. snb is correct- Most of the violence is on Mexican citizens in retaliation for 1. Not paying the "protection fees" 2.Voicing/posting any disagreement with the cartels.

While I would avoid Acapulco right now (last couple of years, the drug war WAS spilling into some of the touristy areas), I felt as safe in Mexico as much as anywhere in the US.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 01:05AM

NOTHING MUST STOP TEMPLE ATTENDANCE!

Don't look out for the safety of the membership, instead tell them they will be ok if they are faithful. What's more important, the members or their TR temple revenues!

By virtue of our inspired promise, the only victims will be the unfaithful anyway.

No problem.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 01:06AM

unless they dont.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.