Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 01:23PM

I went to SeaWorld and saw the Shamu show last weekend. Before I went, I had read some bad press on SeaWorld, and of course, Bob Barker is against it and believes it is cruel to trap the sea animals in a confined environment. I, therefore, went with my eyes opened. The first thing I noticed was the lack of crowds. This could have been because we went on a Friday when most people are working, and it wasn't a holiday weekend. But when we went two years ago, it was packed. Could it be fewer people going there because they think it is animal cruelty and they will no longer take part in contributing to it? Maybe, maybe not. But if my observation of the Shamu show holds any water, I'm thinking they are losing money and are trying to gain back some public approval.

We went to every show and stayed from the minute it opened until the park closed. I kept my eyes open to see how the dolphins, whales and seals responded and they all seemed to enjoy their activities, but I had that nagging in the back of my mind... were they enjoying it? They do several shows a day, the same old tricks for fish, laughter and approval, and dolphins/whales, we have come to find, are highly intelligent animals whom think for themselves, and require mental stimulation as well as an abundant exercise and food variety. Would I be happy doing the same thing every day? Well, no I'm not, but that's another story.

On to the Shamu show… This is the first time I went to the show where no trainer entered the water. I assumed this was due to the death of trainer, Dawn Brancheau, and if what I read on line is true, SeaWorld no longer allows trainers in the water with killer whales. Instead, they had a big screen on the platform that shows lovely scenes of nature in the ocean; dolphins jumping freely, starfish and sea life. They also had loud music of the inspirational kind. The kind used to encourage one to feel emotion, sentimentality, thoughtfulness and love toward nature and all good things. The trainers were so happy! They all smiled and spoke positively and were animated and meaningful, energetic and young. The whales did their thing by splashing the audience and so forth, but the show really was all about the extras.

It dawned on me that this felt like propaganda. You feed a person something unpalatable but make it more palatable by adding a whole lot of meaningful things to encourage them to think it’s great. This was much like I experienced in relief society and fast & testimony meetings. Yes, Joseph was a polygamist who was gunned down at Carthage jail, but hail to the man who communes with Jehovah! Oh what a blessing to have a true and living prophet to tell us how to think, believe and feel. Follow the prophet and you won't go astray. How lucky you are to be here for 3 hours and magnify your callings all week. You are a select people. What a privilege it is to be God's chosen people. Now smile! And be positive! So when people look at you they see how happy and wholesome you are.

I wonder how many of those trainers look at those magnificent whales and feel sadness inside, knowing those whales don't belong in those little tanks but deserve to swim a hundred miles a day, thriving. What happens if they speak out against the system? According to what I've read, some are eventually found to be unfit or "careless" and then terminated. Yes, life at SeaWorld continues on without them.

Maybe there were fewer people at SeaWorld that day because people aren't buying tickets.
We went out to a long pier along the coast near La Jolla, and watched dolphins in the wild, swimming not far from surfers in the water. I thought how lucky they are to live their lives in a big ocean within their family pods.

I did enjoy my day at SeaWorld, and I have not made up my mind about whether they are doing a bad work or a good work or a little of both. Since leaving the church, I question many things. Things are not always as they appear or are made to appear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 01:30PM by suckafoo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 01:47PM

4 of us went to Seaworld in June this year. If I recall, 1 trainer was in the tank with the killer whales then, but he had much less interaction with the whales than when I took my kids to seaworld some 20 years ago.

I don't enjoy any venue that keeps wild animals captive; seaworld and zoos included. I was glad to see that seaworld does advertise and provide some educational programs about all of their sea and mammal life, but one would have to know that in advance. It still doesn't make up for the fact that these once-wild animals are in captivity.

The sea lion show had to close down half way through because the upstart sea lions refused to perform. There must be a union involved, and they went on strike. I was actually tickled that they didn't care to do their tricks that day. Sort of like many of us in the Mormon church; there comes a time when we just get sick and tired of performing their silly tricks.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 02:08PM

I think I even had pictures of the trainer who died before my camera went kaputs.

I was actually very sad watching the shows. I know the trainers love the animals and do the best they can for them; The animals would likely go insane (have you ever seeen what happens to a bear in a zoo when it loses its mind?) without any stimulation or activity. Many can't be released because they wouldn't survive in the wild.

Seaworld is marketed at families with young children; If you're older and know about the world, you do see right through the smoke and mirrors, just like with TSCC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.