Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 03:30PM

The Book of Mormon was all made up by JS and friends??? Honestly...you think it's just a made up book?
Why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 03:33PM

...and fiction is, by definition, made up stuff.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 03:36PM

1st. Go read the original version. Sounds like an uneducated hillbilly wrote it when he wasn't ripping stuff right out of the bible.

2nd. The stuff that was ripped off from the bible is stright from the KJV, translation errors and all. Along with all of the stuff that was changed during the time period of 600 B.C. Isaiah has been changed quite a bit since then.

3rd. Anachronisms. Jews in America with horses, steel, barely etc.

If the book weren't made up, it would be accurate historically.

4th. The idea that Native Americans were a lost tribe of Isreal was a ripped off idea too. No evidence for it, just an idea that was semi popular. JS and friends just made a crappy story about it.

5th. Go read about how much god hates the Native Americans and constantly calls them filthy, lazy, loathsesome.

What a dick.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 03:40PM

Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 03:43PM

It wasn't all just made up. Much of it was plagiarized from the Bible, with a few stories or sermons actually thrown in by JS, like the parts that conveniently explain how there were two sets of of the Plates of Nephi (after the 116 pages were lost), and the postscript chapters of Moroni where he wasn't quite dead yet, so he had some more to say on contemporary colonial-American topics. 

The stories that were made up talk of steel swords, wheat, cattle, windows, and a lot of other 19th century things that didn't exist in ancient America. In other words, the stuff he did make up wasn't very well thought out.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 03:54PM

OK, to the author of this thread, I'll try to be nice and tell you why it is very likely not true...

1. As mentioned, there was no steel, horses,etc., in this hemisphere during the times of the alleged BOM peoples.
2. The DNA testing performed on indiginous peoples from the top of North America to the tip of South America show that they came from N.E. Asia in two migrations, thousands of years before the Nephites or Jaredites. There are NO "Hebrew" or "Jewish" DNA markers. None.
3. At the time of Joseph Smith there were at least two books written discussing the idea that the Indians were "lost tribes of Israel". In fact one of them was written by the pastor of Oliver Cowdery's church (Ethan Smith, no relation to Joseph Smith).
4. The book of Mormon is a very simple minded read. In it (I've read it about 19 times) good people are blessed, wicked people are punished and the reversal time from good to bad and being blessed/punished is about 2 years. Over and over again. Real life doesn't work that way.

There is much more, some was mentioned earlier.

If you want to believe in it, that is fine.

I think there are good teachings in the book, but they are essentially also found in the New Testament, so there is nothing terribly original or vital to the book's content.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 03:54PM

And don't forget the prophecy about himself and the coming of the book in the book itself... Talk about "convenient" ;)

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 03:59PM

Dear OP, please enlighten us: why should any of us believe that Joseph Smith actually translated the Book of Mormon by the gift and power of God? What proof does the Book of Mormon offer as to its authenticity?

Posted by: Interested ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:10PM

Raptor or anyone else that can help: where can I get a first edition of the BoM? I'd really like to read it.

Posted by: omen ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:13PM

Posted by: Interested ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:13PM

OK, after a quick search it looks like a 1st Ed. BoM runs about $180K. Is it posted online?

Posted by: interested ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:14PM

Thanks omen.

Date: September 29, 2011 04:16PM

Also, just googling Book of Mormon 1830 version online, you'll see several other places.

Know that you don't need to read the whole thing to get the feel of the voices of the book.

It's pretty clear to me that there were several contributors to the book.

But if you look closely, the writing styles change mid book and jump back and fourth as if a few people were working on it but not writing it seperately and then compiling it.

The most consistent voice is the stuff that's ripped right out of the bible.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )

about $20

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:27PM

Sandra Tanner sells photo-reprints of early LDS documents really cheap...

http://www.utlm.org/booklist/titles/3913changesinthebookofmormon_ub003.htm

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:14PM

Don't feed the troll.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 05:08PM

Posted by: ziller ( )

Ya – what they said.

Especially the first 1/3rd of the Book up to “Words of Mormon”.

It is obviously made up.

The author has to keep doubling back on himself to keep the story on track.

i. e. (paraphrased by ziller) - “Hurry! Leave Jerusalem cuz it is fixin’ to get destroyed!

“But wait! Go back and get the brass plates. Ok, now leave.”

“Wait. Hold it. Hold it. Now go back and get some wimin. Ok. Now go.”

The author spends page after page of precious golden-plate-space telling us that he is not telling us THIS, and not telling us THAT, and he is not going to write about THIS, and THAT is in another set of plates and so on.

And, oh yeah, his dad had these really weird dreams and visions, but he doesn’t say much about them either.

Except the infamous Hold-to-the Iron-Rod dream which doesn’t really mean anything to anybody – except to say “OBEY the Profit”.

Then the author ladles in whole chapters of erroneously KJV translated Isaiah as filler material.

And then….

Oh, nevermind. OP prolly “knows” that the BoM is twue.

ziller

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:19PM

"Joseph Smith Begins His Work" Vol 1, 2 by Wilford C Wood

Contains the original: The Book of Mormon,The Book of Commandments, The Doctrine and Covenants, The Lectures on Faith , the Fourteen Articles of Faith (I own this set)

This is the original Book of Mormon before correcting the spelling, adding punctuation and verses. This is an eye opener!

OOPS..almost forgot. I bought these from utlm.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 04:20PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:23PM

Anyone who believes that horse shit about a bunch of folks travelling in their wooden submarine and all the crap about chariots and swords and stuff...is just dumb or has on blinders. Or both. Dumb people with blinders. The crutch loves em when they mindlessly fork over their money. Really!!!

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:46PM

I know a few TBMs who have said, "You are going to let something as small as horses, chariots and swords bother you?"

Date: September 29, 2011 04:55PM

I may have even said it at one point because I was stupid.

They fail to see that it is a piece of a much larger picture.

And the picture is that the BoM is complete and utter fiction.

I now find it laughable that TBMs will admit that the most convincing evidence that the BoM is true is the rock with NHM on it.

That's it! That's all they've got!!!

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 04:59PM

Raptor Jesus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I may have even said it at one point because I was
> stupid.
>
> They fail to see that it is a piece of a much
> larger picture.
>
> And the picture is that the BoM is complete and
> utter fiction.
>
> I now find it laughable that TBMs will admit that
> the most convincing evidence that the BoM is true
> is the rock with NHM on it.
>
>
> That's it! That's all they've got!!!

What's with this rock??

Date: September 29, 2011 05:01PM

There's a place in the middle east where a rock has the inscription (once translated) NHM.

In the book of Mormon, Lehi is leading his peeps out of the middle east (kind of but not really) and one of the peeps is named Nahom.

So..............

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 05:09PM

Thats it...I am now going back to church.

I didnt realize there was such unmistakable evidence showing the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and The Church©

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 05:25PM

I heard someone sum it up like this recently: These are people living in 2011 who believe a treasure hunting fraud used a magic rock and a black hat to translate golden plates written in Reformed Egyptian into the world's most perfect book that has over 3000 corrections.

Date: September 29, 2011 05:38PM

Mormonism is like a 20th century business plan,

stuffed in an expensive 21st century public relations campaign,

perpetuating a 19th century hoax.

ziller

Posted by: l2 ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 08:45PM

I guess I should have read the BOM years ago when I joined the church. But that's not why I joined, or why I left. Now I understand why I could never bring myself to get into it. Maybe my
psyche was trying to tell me something.

Now I'm angry that an organization such as the church can and does continue to spread the lie of this book and all that it entails.

I feel spiritually raped. Why was I so damn gullible! Guess I'm not the only one... 14 million?

Ok, it wasn't all bad. I made some really good friends within this organization.

But I still want to throw up!

Date: September 29, 2011 08:47PM

You'll find good company to help you recover here.

Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 08:57PM

Joseph Smith has no credibility, and we already know the Book of Abraham is fake, so if that's fake, the rest of the Book of Mormon is most likely fake as well.

Date: September 29, 2011 09:04PM

OK

But RfM has roolz about throwing up / in / out / etc.

First you have to find a “barf buddy’.

Anytime you have to throw up / in / out / etc. you must throw up / in / out / etc. your chosen “barf buddy”.

Failure to do so will be penalized by

A: Going back to Start, and

B: You will not be allowed to collect 200 exmo dollars.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 09:07PM

@I2...welcome to the board...there are plenty here who will provide resources and a pat on the back at times as you learn how a church masquerades as an institution of integrity while in fact it is just a business corporation of compliance professionals...sucks to be in this situation.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 29, 2011 09:10PM

I don't think it's a made up book. I know it's a made up book. The evidence is solid, but you have to take the time to research it for yourself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.