Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 02:51PM

In another thread, RfM poster "sonoma' writes:

"I was a kid when the Cult leadership instructed us that we were no longer to say when bearing our testimonies that we 'believe' the Church is true, Joseph Smith is a Prophet, & etc.

"Instead we were to say that we 'KNOW' the Church is true, Jospeh Smith is a Prophet, & etc.

"Anyone else remember this? Can't remember when exactly it was. I'm thinking it was the 70's."
_____

Here's what I remember, thank you Mega-Mormon Brother/Utah Senator Orrin Hatch:

On CBS's "60 Minutes" program, broadcast on 7 April 1996, Mike Wallace explained to a national audience Mormonism's tall tale of the First Vision--and then asked Hatch what he thought of the whole thing:

Mike Wallace: "[The Mormon] church says God and Jesus spoke with [its] founder Joseph Smith back in eighteen hundred and twenty and told him to start this church. . . .

"He was 14 years old . . . a backwoods farm boy . . . in New York State. . . .

"Fourteen years old, and God and Jesus come to see him? . . .

[Voiceover with footage of Hatch on U.S. Senate floor]

". . . [T]he senior US Senator from Utah, Orrin Hatch, a Mormon, believes it . . .

[cut to Wallace interview with Hatch]

Orrin Hatch: "We believe that we know that this happened."
_____

Uh? Rewind the tape.

Orrin Hatch: "We believe that we know that this happened."

"WE BELIEVE THAT WE KNOW THAT THIS HAPPENED?"

Lordy, it doesn't get much stronger than that.

In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen, sort of, I think.

:)

("The '60 Minutes' Program on the LDS ChurchBroadcast on CBS TV, April 7, 1996," transcribed by Robert J. Woolley, at: http://www.lds-mormon.com/60min.shtml)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2011 03:02PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 03:10AM

I don't think his language would cut the mustard in either a F&T meeting or a Congressional hearing.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 08:30AM

I remember watching the airing of this interview. It was one of those moments I thought..."milk before meat".

As hard as Mike Wallace tried to get to the meat, milk was all he got from anyone.

It seems the Marriott boat fire with protective panties was a miracle in his own mind. My parent was in medicine, as were many from my family sphere. Needless to say, no protective quality was bought as truth in my family. Basically, it was ordered as part of going through the temple.

Now we have Steve Young. If anyone needs protective panties, wouldn't a football fella' ? I have no idea why sports gave people a pass on garmie wearin'....and I know Hollywoodland. We don't bother to mention only the little people are required to wear the 24/7 garments.

Don't EVEN get me started on the blacks and the women. Mormonism simply disgusts me, and the way it is made Mormon-lite in this interview is so predictable.

Thanks for reminding me of the ridiculous.

BTW, where were you when Mike interviewed you? Was it near Temple Square?

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:29AM

wings Wrote:

>
> Now we have Steve Young. If anyone needs
> protective panties, wouldn't a football fella' ? I
> have no idea why sports gave people a pass on
> garmie wearin'....

With all the concussions he sustained, Young should have worn them on this head or maybe used them for extra padding in his helmet, or perhaps he should have issued garments for his offensive line for magically-aided pass protection.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.