Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 04:12PM

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a29624427/the_duggar_family

The OP thinks the Duggars should just be Mormons already. Too funny.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 04:36PM

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 04:43PM

I have no problem with the Duggars. These poor stepford wives seem to overlook that Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar would pass out if they were presented with a green apron and white robes and a special chant to say before they go through the veil. Mormonism is a ritualized cult, not just large families and belief in Jesus. These girls have no idea what Mormonism looks like to other Christians.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 04:51PM

These girls have no idea what Mormonism looks like to other Christians.

Exactly.

The lack of self-awareness of Mormons is astounding. Outside the Zion bubble, Mormons are totally weird at best and a cult at worst. Christians don't even consider Mormons Christian (for the most part) - that whole pesky faith vs works thing among other major distinctions.

Sigh. Silly Mormons.

Date: September 30, 2011 05:06PM

What gets me is the folks who are so sad that the Duggars won't have an eternal family in the next life and know they'll accept the chance to hear "the gospel" in the next life.

I'm sure the Duggars would take issue with that thinking. It sounds really arrogant.

Posted by: sweetie ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 03:56AM

obviously you have not been to Catholic Services where the children were special clothes for First Communion, um, let's see baptism, um how about robes for Confirmation and our priests' sacremental robes.....it is a healthy way of life that each of us should try sometime, bet the fact that they live and practice the "King James" version of the bible would scare off most of us.

Posted by: pkdfan2 ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 06:45PM

As in it meets in their living room, when they are ready, and they make the rules.

I think their beliefs are a little looney but I don't think they are manipulated. They seem generous as well and fairly happy.

With 19 kids 1 or 2 should statistically be gay. I wonder how they would handle it.

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 06:52PM

"With 19 kids 1 or 2 should statistically be gay. I wonder how they would handle it."

That has occured to me several times - and I think they will not "handle" it well; the child will no doubt be ostracized and/or subjected to reparation therapy.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 07:06PM

So not bothering with the link, it sounds like weird, over the top religiosity and breeding with reckless abandon makes a good Mormon?

Just wondering.

Date: September 30, 2011 07:16PM

The OP admires the Duggars for being loving toward each other, loving Christ, and living a wholesome lifestyle.

Somewhere down the line in the thread, someone likened sharing "the gospel" as offering chocolate cake. She said something to the effect of, "we know they have an awesome carrot cake, but chocolate cake is *better*. Try it; you'll like it."

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 08:30PM

Duggars Mormon? Not gonna happen. Mormons don't have a clue as to what Evangelical Christians are really thinking and what they believe.

How many kids someone has is biology, it should not (never )be belief. I'm willing to bet that if Michelle Duggar had been infertile, they would never have joined the 'Quiver Full' or whatever movement. the minute biology does not cooperate with religion, religion gets thrown out the window.

Get a grip, people. Have kids because you want them. Base the number of kids on how much you can afford and how much you love kids. Leave religion out of it.

Signed, a practicing Catholic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2011 08:31PM by nwmcare.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 08:34PM

I enjoy watching the Duggar family. This is a family that clearly loves their children and those kids have some really great experiences because of their parents and their religious beliefs and the show that has given them a lot more opportunities.

The seem like ordinary, normal kids to me, just more of them!
We almost always had extra kids in our home, some of them are in our impromptu family pictures!

I am certainly not going to find fault with other people's life choices especially when they are working out so well.

I'm reminded of one of the items in the OPTIMIST CREED:
Promise myself:
#9 To give so much time to improving myself that I have no time to criticize others.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 09:03PM

It may be politically incorrect to say, but I think they're an exceptional family. Parents and children.

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: October 04, 2011 02:42PM

The man loves his wife. She loves her husband. They love all of their kids. The siblings love each other. They have a wonderful life of happiness and joy with each other.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 08:55PM

Normal kids are allowed to dance and don't have to "dress modestly" in a bathing suit for eg.

Date: September 30, 2011 09:22PM

Johnny Canuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Normal kids are allowed to dance and don't have to
> "dress modestly" in a bathing suit for eg.

I don't think that has anything to do with what is "normal" -- people make different choices about what is appropriate behavior.

I just remember what my "dad" taught me: when you point a finger at someone, remember there are four more pointing back at you.

We only know what we see on TV. They are very TV savvy.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 08:59PM

Not going to happen, as the Duggars seem like the type who doesn't consider Mormons to be Christian at all. If the posters actually watched the 19 Kids and Counting show, they would have seen the episode where the oldest sons had to have wisdom teeth surgery rescheduled because they couldn't give up sweet tea for even a day.

Date: September 30, 2011 09:01PM

The ladies keep referring to the Duggars as "dry Mormons". Very offensive term, IMHO. The Duggars most assuredly have been baptized in their own faith.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: September 30, 2011 09:58PM

@Susie......when things that are not offensive ie dancing in a pre school day exercise class geared towards children (they watched) and when you have to be covered up in a skirt and a blouse to go parasailing ie get wet on your honeymoon, there is something off kilter here IMHO.

Date: October 01, 2011 12:08AM

Yes, people have different opinions. I think we need to be more respectful of other people's rights to how they dress and what they think is important and proper.
I don't live the way many people live, but they have a right to those choices.
Cultures, as we all know, are very different and a strong component of them is usually religious and that includes music and dress.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:45PM

but how will the Duggars react if any of their many children decides not to follow in mom and dad's footsteps? Are we going to see a backlash like we see with so many mormon families?

Date: October 02, 2011 04:07PM

Apparently, a Muslim who hangs out with the Mormons on Babycenter has said that some Muslims wish they would become Muslims already, too...

Seems the Duggars have lots of fans.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:35PM

The well behaved kids are brought up with "staking" like tying your tomato plants to a post, and a lot of corporal punishment, beginning at a very, very young age.

http://www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com/default.php

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:58PM

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 04, 2011 02:39PM

Let's indulge in this fantasy land for a minute and think through the logistics. How many kids can you safely (with seatbelts) fit into one minivan? Or even a full-size van?

I think I rented a 15-passenger van once.

At a minimum, it would take two vehicles to get the whole crew to church. Add in callings x 19 and coordinating the driving to and from all meetings, activities, and obligations. Do they give callings in Primary? So, you could eliminate all the kids under 12, unless there are Primary activities throughout the week. But add back in all the male children under 12 and over whatever age it is boys start in with Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts. I would imagine, to make all that work out, you'd have to enlist the help of at least two of the oldest children to do some driving. IIRC, at least one or two are grown and married already. Aren't the Duggars grandparents?

I suppose, through attrition, eventually Michelle's uterus will fall out and the babies will stop coming, and sooner or later, they can make it with just one minivan. But right now, I'd say they'd need two, maybe three vehicles in pretty much constant operation in order to satisfy all the requirements of being a mormon.

Now. Currently, the Duggars hold church in their own house. They have plenty of family activities. They homeschool. They are actually quite a lot greener than many other huge families because they've reduced having to transport the whole crew around to very few situations. I can't imagine all 21 of 'em go grocery shopping at the same time. Most errands, you will leave the younger kids with the older ones (They bred their own babysitters! How convenient!) and go take care of what you need to take care of. These people have a far better deal just as things are right now than if they ever lost their damn minds and became mormons.

God. Can you imagine?

Most of you have somewhere around 3-5 kids (some less, some more, some none). And I've read post after post about what a pain in the ass it is to get everybody up, shined and spiffy, and off to church on time, nevermind the fundraisers, the dances, the homemaking nights, scouts... etc. Multiply what you went through by 4 or 5 or 6. Now. Can you imagine the sheer arrogance of suggesting to these people -- who have it all worked out pretty smoothly, regardless if we agree with it or not -- that they should turn everything completely upside down because they worship god just a little bit differently?

If I were the Duggars, I'd just laugh at suggestions like this.

Date: October 04, 2011 02:54PM

Here's some data in relation to my last post (Yes, I'm on deadline and yes, I'm slacking off work):

Of their 19 kids, 1 is married with 2 children. I am not counting them because my assumption is they don't live with his parents.

4 children, 3 women and 1 man are over 18 and would be in RS/EQ. So however many meetings/callings/obligations that would entail for four adults. Only one of those is missionary age, so we could take him out of the equation for two years. The other three are women and only one of those is 21. So the other two, presumably, are at home for another 1-3 years as adults, assuming nobody's engaged right now.

6 of the Duggar children are YM/YW age, 2 girls and 4 boys. That's YW Standards Nights, dances, fundraisers, activities, basketball, community service projects, pursuit of Eagle Scout and Personal Progress commitments.

6 of the Duggar children are Primary aged, 2 girls and 4 boys.

I guessed that Cub Scouts starts around age 8 (? - no idea) and most boys get their eagle or quit around 16. There are 7 scouting-aged Duggar boys. That's a lot of knots!

Date: October 04, 2011 03:26PM

And the Duggars would have to get over their distaste for dancing, too...

Date: October 05, 2011 08:42AM

Good point. Mormon standards are too low for the Duggars. LOL

Hey, you know why Baptists don't have sex standing up?

Because it looks too much like dancing!

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 10:31AM

After reading through the thread on Babycenter, I can appreciate that a lot of the women there see how arrogant statements like "Duggars should be Mormons!" are. It tells me that things are (slowly) changing among the attitudes of a lot of LDS folk. So many have always just assumed that people who weren't LDS lacked a moral compass, or were to be pitied. I was relieved to see so many on the board who didn't share that belief.

Posted by: dclarkfan1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:05PM

That's funny seeing that Kirk Cameron and his holier than thou minister Ray Comfort have made guest appearances on 19 Kids And Counting. I don't think the Duggars are calling the missionaries to take the discussions any time soon.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:20PM

Does anyone care how one single family having nineteen children affects the planet?

Posted by: Elaine Dalton ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 05:09AM

They and their children are most definitely not what I would call normal.
I remember watching one episode where the older girls would say 'Nike' everytime a girl that was dressed immodestly walked by as to prompt the Duggar boys to put their eyes down.
Weird.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: February 19, 2012 05:57AM

If they become Mormon they will be held up as an example of how you should have so many kids and how it can work out. It will kill LDS women before they stop and do something about that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.