Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 01:59PM

So, I just heard Boyd K Packer relate a story about how when he was young and WWII was going on, they were concerned about the "wars and rumors of wars" and thought the end of the world was nigh. Then he told the youth of today to not worry, and tell them they can look forward to seeing their grandchildren and even great-grandchildren.

Those early mormons who believe Joseph Smith when he said "56 years should wind up the scene" would be disappointed at this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonski22 ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:05PM

These guys know it isnt true, but are too invested in it, to do otherwise

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:16PM

I caught that too.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:17PM

I seem to recall him saying the same thing several years ago.

Posted by: anon for this comment ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:22PM

WHAT???? my kids were repeatedly told they were the special generation reserved to be here in the end times. My stepson and several of his friends have pat. blessings saying they will see the return of the savior. They are in their 30's now.

Was i imagining all of this? Did i miss something? I lived my whole childhood in fear. We could have dressed fed and rescued a small town (and shot a few too) with the supplies in our basement. All in anticipation of the end, hence the return. There was always a good sturdy pair of shoes for each family member in storage. We were prepared to walk back to Missouri. The insanity!!!! all of that time energy and money gone to waste. We could have had some great life experiences with that money. All that stuff was eventually given away or thrown out.

i'm 60. so i'm apparently not going to be around for the closing act. what a let down. prophecy aint it great? follow the prophet.

Posted by: eskimo girlfriend ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 07:41PM

I just turned 30 and I remember being told all the time that we were the "chosen generation" and that the end times would happen in our lifetime. My mom told me that she was told the same thing when she was Mutual aged, so I was convinced that it was going to happen sometime before my mom died.

Very interesting to hear that they have changed the story now!!

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:35PM

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:38PM

who still thinks he'll be around for the millanium, baring any car accident etc. He's in his 70's.

We were the chosen generation when i was growing up. (70s-80s) Then my kid's generation was. Now nobody's the chosen generation anymore. Why did god make this big mistake and send down 2 (or more) generations of 'chosen', extra valiant spirits when he didn't even check his calender for the correct years?

Posted by: TheExorcist ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:48PM

Another poorly disguised ploy to keep people (especially young people) in the church. If members really looked at these doctrines with a critical eye, especially when contrasted to historical Christianity, they would realize how stupid and inconsistent they are. They need some way to hold onto people.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:48PM

jim whitefield's, author of the MORmON delusion, observations on the anticipated LDS Second coming based on Joes BS prophecy & how it played out in MORmONISM including the issuance of the 1890 manifesto and following reaction is fascinating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXyp6STKKs

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:53PM

Aren't most Christian groups preaching the "end of the world?". So- Mormons claim to be Christian, yet are now saying this... Interesting.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 02:58PM

Does that mean the church will know be abbreviated as D.S.? I think the "other" meaning of D.S. is more appropriate for the members.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 03:07PM

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:21AM

Me too! I'm shaking in my boots! Considering the chances of a global plague, meteorite, super volcano, or some other unforeseen event compared against the record of GAs being wrong, I would have to say we are in for heavy weather!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 03:10PM

... I think I am more afraid of TSCC's leadership saying that the end is not near than I am of them saying it IS near.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 05:58PM

I was just thinking the same thing.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 03:11PM

When the Second Coming happens, how will all the people on the planet Earth be notified about it? Will Jesus Christ suddenly appear on every TV station? Will every person get a personal visit from JC?

If every person got a one minute personal visit from J.Christ then for the 6,700,000,000 people on earth it would take 12,747 years for JC to do all the visits. Since the average lifespan is only about 75 years it is difficult to imagine how that is possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 03:19PM by saviorself.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 03:11PM

My grandfather's PB clearly stated he would live to see the "Savior come in his glory". Gramps died in 1981. So much for the power of the patriarch.

I think Packer is right, though. The end is not near, since there will be no end. This has been predicted for 2,000 years, and still has not happened. Hopefully, people will figure out it is just a ploy to control people. Obviously, they have not yet figured it out.

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 09:08PM

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 03:17PM

I guess Boyd KKK is already a Gawd.

Posted by: Brazilian Dude ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 06:25PM

I am now 36, and my patriarchal blessing (that I got 20 years ago, at 16) said that I would be alive for the Second Coming and thus would not taste death, but would be transformed in the twinkinling of an eye to an immortal state.

Another lady in my ward (who is now in her mid 70s) was told the same thing.

I was told that recently all patriarchs were instructed NOT to say any of those things any more. No mention to being alive in the Second Comingo or not, in order to be on the safe side... I wonder if it is true.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 06:26PM

conference talk about how the end was near? He went on about disasters and the need to prepare now and scared people to death. It went viral on email.

The church had to issue a denial letter, and remind people that they were not allowed to record church meetings.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 07:38PM

So you are saying that BKP stayed very clear of any mention of "homosexuality?" Gee, I wonder why.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:45PM

Well, he did give a little insertion as words of advice for the youth in these days, that the "powers of creation" are to be used only "between a man and a woman" who are legally wed.

Posted by: eskimo girlfriend ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 09:16PM

I just posted a link to that article on my FB page and said
"I was told repeatedly while growing up that I was part of the chosen generation that would be alive for the end times and see Christ's return. Apparently God has changed his mind about the timeline of things...

Phew! Glad to know."

My TBM mom's only response was "I don't think anybody used the term "end times" in our church."

Haha!! Guess that's all she could come up with since she couldn't deny anything else in what I said.

This is the first potentially "anti-mormon" thing I've posted on FB (no one knows I've left the church, they just think I'm in-active). I'm anxiously awaiting the comments I'm going to get from TBM friends, and/or friends unfriending me.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 09:19PM

oh ye of little faith.

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:43PM

In Jeremiah, there were all kinds of good-news prophets in his day saying everything would be just fine. The Babylonian army? Piece o cake.

Oops.

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:44PM

So does that mean they don't need to do food storage?

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 12:58AM

I think they push food storage because when the rapture happens a bunch of mormons will be left here for 7 years of hard times so that's when they will use the food storage. Assuming they believe in all that :)

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:16AM

Recovery is seeing Boyd K. Packer as an old windbag and fearing nothing and feeling guilty about nothing. Once you can shove these guys away and have a good laugh about it, you are recovered.

Remember the best revenge is living well. Live an honest life. These fools have to live a lie. They may get nice perks but my gosh, what wasted lives these church leaders live.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.