Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 08:48PM

I often see special "missionaries" downtown Salt Lake, usually walking to Trax in the middle of the City Creek construction, so I think they are coming from the COB or somewhere around there. These are the young men who are mentally challenged, but have been called on some sort of mission.

I was walking behind two of them today and it just got me thinking about whether this is a good thing for these innocent young men or not. I have no idea just exactlty what they are called to do, but I am quite certain it isn't any teaching or proseltyzing. Perhaps working in the church history library or something?

Anyway, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this plus anyone's first hand experience or knowledge as to what these young men do on their "mission"? (By the way,I've never seen any mentally challenged young ladies in a similar situation.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 09:05PM

Since they now tell young men their salvation depends on serving a mission I think it's only fair they give them some sort of duty.

I had a friend who's brother had severe mental retardation. He served a mission. His father would take him someplace local every day for 18 months, stayed with him throughout the day, then brought him home. I have no idea what they had him do but it wasn't knocking on doors. It was some menial task is all I know. I think she said it was just transferring phone calls but I don't remember for certain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 09:05PM by vhainya.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.