Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:16PM

OMG, how bizarre. I guess no one told the guy who gave the opening prayer or the one who's speaking now about the whole trying-to-seem-normal thing.

I must say, that's quite an arena they've built there. How do you get in--do they sell tickets, or do you have to have a RECKommend, or what?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2011 04:20PM by munchybotaz.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:26PM

Russel just quoted Brigham on the New and Everlasting Covenant, but seemed to forget that when Brigham said it he was referring to Polygamy. You know, that thing mormons have nothing to do with...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:28PM

Date: October 02, 2011 04:31PM

I went there to get a look at the hot pink bed sheets with the head hole, and just sort of got sucked into the not-weirdness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2011 04:32PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 05:20PM

LMAO!!!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:30PM

Date: October 02, 2011 04:32PM

when my daughter was with me. I'm a pushover. She goes to sleep and I end up listening. It really is a train wreck. You can't believe that YOU USED TO BELIEVE IT!

So--munchy--I have ended up watching it before, too!

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:35PM

Jod3:360 That is so true. I just told my wife that he was lying or mis-quoting B.Y. on that teaching of the "new and everlasting covenant" being baptism.....it was the eternal marriage or polygamy that was being taught by B.Y. as the N.E.Covenant not baptism.

How can an apostle not get that doctrine correct.????

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:45PM

If you teach that Breedem meant baptism when he taught the "new and everlasting covenant" the sheeple will believe it. That way when someone confronts them about the NEAC being polygamy, they can say "no, that's just an anti-Mormon lie." Uncle Russel said it's baptism. Why bother to read and think for yourself when it's already been done for you?

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 05:53PM

right....rewriting of history....but the actual text is not going to disappear.

Date: October 02, 2011 04:39PM

You'd think people who are concerned about appearing normal would try a little harder.

Date: October 02, 2011 04:40PM

Date: October 02, 2011 04:53PM

Those guys get out and hobnob in business and politics. They may not see much of what most people would consider normal, but they have plenty of opportunities to see what's effective.

Date: October 02, 2011 09:36PM

I actually think mormons WORK at looking different, "speshul."

Think of all the mormons who SHOW their garments--and you know they can cover them up.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 04:45PM

just like wizards trying to appear like muggles without really having observed what it's like to be normal.:)

Posted by: eskimogirlfriend ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 05:48PM

Exactly!

Date: October 02, 2011 05:47PM

I knew I was prompted to watch this wonderful conference for a reason.

Date: October 02, 2011 06:01PM

It doesn't even seem very familiar anymore, just completely weird and stupid.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 06:28PM

To think that I used to listen to and believe this pile of you-know-what.

Not-weirdness, indeed!

TG

Date: October 02, 2011 06:47PM

Maybe I live in some weird bubble of extra smart people, but I have a hard time believing (a) that anyone would expect adults to sit and listen to that or (b) that they would sit and listen, and think it was worth their time. And the whole "look, we're so normal" when anyone can watch and see that they're not. OMG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2011 06:49PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 09:32PM

I bet you have listed all the highlights on this thread and saved me from having to endure the horse-hockey.

Date: October 02, 2011 10:54PM

I'm kind of horrified at how utterly simpy and transparently self-serving it was. I've been trying to think back to the 1970s, when I was being forced to attend, and remember if it was that bad. I don't remember much other than feeling monitored and oppressed, being bored out of my mind at church, and wondering if any of it could possibly be true. If I had heard the phrases "our beloved prophet" and "our dear prophet" every few minutes, I think would have noticed the one guy being glorified and wondered why that was OK.

Clearly, the talks go through some kind of editorial board, because no way did seven different guys write seven such uniformly lame, insubstantial, structurally and linquistically similar talks by themselves. Judging by the trouble Eyring had with some of the lesser GAs' names, they don't even know each other.

I'm questioning the sanity *and* the intelligence of anyone who can sit through that and take it the least bit seriously.

I'd also like to say something to anyone who's being shunned or abused by Mormons and thinking less of themselves because of it: It's not you! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2011 11:03PM by munchybotaz.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.