Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 01:47PM

Okay let's talk about this... If I am not mistaken this was the spiritual reason as to why missionaries were not allowed to be near naturally occurring or man made bodies of water...(forget boobies and bikinis...) if you heard this, know what I'm talkin about or know where this comes from please JOIN IN!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 01:57PM

Something to do with Lucifer being given power over the sea or something. It's another "i don't know that we teach that" type of thing.

I swam in the pacific ocean during my mission and lived to tell the tale. Some would argue I was already in satan's clutches, though.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 02:05PM

13 And now, behold, for your good I gave unto you a commandment concerning these things; and I, the Lord, will reason with you as with men in days of old.
14 Behold, I, the Lord, in the beginning blessed the waters; but in the last days, by the mouth of my servant John, I cursed the waters.
15 Wherefore, the days will come that no flesh shall be safe upon the waters.
16 And it shall be said in days to come that none is able to go up to the land of Zion upon the waters, but he that is upright in heart.
17 And, as I, the Lord, in the beginning cursed the land, even so in the last days have I blessed it, in its time, for the use of my saints, that they may partake the fatness thereof.
18 And now I give unto you a commandment that what I say unto one I say unto all, that you shall forewarn your brethren concerning these waters, that they come not in journeying upon them, lest their faith fail and they are caught in snares;
19 I, the Lord, have decreed, and the destroyer rideth upon the face thereof, and I revoke not the decree.

Here's FAIR taking a stab at it: http://fairmormon.org/index.php?title=The_Mormon_understanding_of_Satan/Dominion_over_waters&oldid=88833

Date: October 03, 2011 02:31PM

Wow y'all are fast!

Yeah well there you have it from gospel doctrine, to fireside allegory, to mission president wisdom, to urban legend. That's how you grind down the rough edges of a wily new religion. Same with the second coming I suppose - at once only years away ( 1988 staring down the barrel of the horsemen of the apocalypse then a few years pass fast forward to GC Oct 2011... ) then "you got quite a ways to go!"

Lame. When are they gonna say "c'mon we're no different than anyone else..."!!?!

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 02:44PM

Yes, I remember being taught that. I also believe that this nonsense all came about because on one of Joe's many escapades to flee the law, he was going by boat (small boat, maybe paddle boat?) and they ran into currents and just about all drowned.

I cannot remember in which book I have read of this (it might have been 'No man knows my history')... anyone can remember? However, I do remember reading it.

That's my tidbit.

Never mind, found another reference in History of the Church, Vol. 1 Chapter 16. [Aug. 1831 - Sept. 1831]

see below:

Ezra Booth related that on the morning of the departure from Independence, there was animosity and discord among the travelers. On the third day, some of the men became so disgruntled that they refused to use the paddles and some of the canoes nearly capsized. Joseph and Sydney's canoe hit a snag and turned over, nearly drowning the two men. Booth claimed the Smith and Rigdon were then very timid about entering the water again. Some of the other elders chastised Joseph and Sydney about their "cowardice" according to Booth. That Joseph was not putting words in Phelps' mouth about his vision of Satan is evidenced by the fact that Phelps actually wrote the narrative himself. [See for example Parkin, Conflict, appendix C. RJS, 96.]

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 02:57PM

As long as the buffet is open on Carnival Cruise Lines, I got no beef with journeying upon the waters.

Posted by: runningyogi ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 03:17PM

Is this why OBL was ditched there?!

Posted by: USN ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 04:21PM

I guess all those CVN's are in imminent danger

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 04:53PM

b-ball is dangerous in some missions, but not others.

got it.

Posted by: yaqoob ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 05:03PM

My woman says she wont go on Carnival Cruise Line no matter what and that she would rather go on no cruise than on CCL.

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: October 04, 2011 05:34PM

This can't really be doctrinal or else all the mishies that go overseas, including the sad-sacks that end up in Hawaii would stay on terra firma in the good-old U.S. of A.
See how the morg lie when it suits them.
Too bad old Joe got scaaaarrr'd!

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 04, 2011 05:51PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,311407

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 05:52PM by steve benson.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: October 04, 2011 06:50PM

Whatever, I've been a sailor for over 20 years and have yet to see satan in the ocean. Storm or no storm, I've never seen the devil behind it. MORmONs are idiots for thinking that. It comes down to people most likely not knowing how to swim and if you do you have to take off those stupid f-n garments and they want everyone to avoid that. And god forbid a missionary see boobies or something. So, that is probably why. As for me, I love the beach and boobies and mean birdies....

Date: October 04, 2011 08:44PM

I think it's gotta have something to do with the Bermuda Triangle (BT) too. Although we haven't had anything or anyone go missing over the BT for as long as I remember. There's not been anything on DiscoveryHD or NatGeo on the BT. TSCC is particularly mute on the subject of the BT. The last real thing I remember in American culture about the Bermuda Triangle was an episode of Scooby Doo and the gang when they met a ghost pilot. There's just no time for a deep contemplative life anymore...oh The Devil IS the Lord of the Sea. FYI

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 04, 2011 08:50PM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 04, 2011 10:56PM

Nah, the Lord of the sea is Kelly Slater! 10x surfing world champ and gunning for his 11th!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.