Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 09:53PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/03/aldo-bianchini-tears-eyes-church_n_992108.html

So. According to this article, this guy ripped his eyes out at the begging of a mass. Apparently he "hears voices" and was unstable.

I'm not saying religion is to blame for this at all. The guy had issues. He needed meds or something.

I wonder why he did it though. I remember the first time I ran across the idea of plucking out your own eyes in the Bible (Matthew, Mark, and Galatians). It seemed pretty disturbing. Even as a Mormon I figured it was symbolic. The image stuck with me though. Why did he go to a church to do this?

I've heard of people cutting off their own limbs and doing all kinds of creepy things when their "voices" go off. Why can't the "voices" tell them to go hug a dog instead? Sigh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 09:58PM

So he sits with his buddy Satan over cold glasses of beer and says: "Dude, wanna see something funny?..."

:)

Ok its ridiculous, but so are these people...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 09:59PM by missguided.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:05PM

Poor guy goes through all that misery thanks to a friendly wager between God and Satan. Kinda makes you wonder if he really was cast out...

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:01PM

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:11PM

That must have been awkward for the congregation..

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:50PM

Oh, God. Ignore the words of my mouth. My sympathy is with that poor guy and whatever family he has. And with the congregation who were undoubtedly traumatized by his act.

(sigh) Mental illness is a terrible thing.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:52PM

Hopefully, he did it while alone in the church. Many churches keep their doors unlocked so people can go in and pray. How horrible.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:03PM

Rev. (Italian name) had just begun conducting mass.

The guy who did this was at the back of the nave. I would guess most people were not looking back at him when it happened.

Luckily the Rev.conducting mass noticed him and called paramedics. If he had not, the guy could have bleed to death.

Supposedly the guy who did this to himself spoke 5 languages and studied chemistry. He couldn't find work and lived with his mother.

Pulling your own eyes out would require a lot of strength. It would hurt! I'm guessing there is a lot more to this story that we will never know.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:13PM

Ugh. I am glad the whole congregation including kids didn't see it. He was probably schizophrenic.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:00PM

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:36PM

I tackled a guy once who was in the process of doing just that; we wrestled his fingers out of his eye sockets and saved one eye from damage. A follow up found he was hearing voices "to do it" and obviously schizo'.

I've never heard of any LDS doing something like that, but then again, I don't think they'd run an ad: "I hear voices in my head, I gouged my eyes out---and I'm a mormon."

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: October 04, 2011 02:38AM

Mental illness can make people do all kinds of terrible things. This guy plucked out his own eyes. Someone else drowned their five children. And don't forget the Son of Sam. And it goes on.

This is some of the crap that makes me think there isn't a god. Certainly not one that gives a damn, or has any real power.

Susan

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.