Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:18PM

Hey all, I asked for advice a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to give an update. At this point we know whatever is going on isn't thyroid, and it's not a hormonal imbalance. Going in again to try to figure things out.

Hair loss is starting to even out (backing up the Dr's assertion that it was due to stress) still tired all the time, though, and having pain in my muscles and joints if I over-exert myself. My menstrual cycle is screwed up too.

Hoping that we can get this sorted out quickly, but if any of you are inclined towards prayer/thoughts/lighting a candle...I'd appreciate it. I have two small children to take care of, and need to find a part time job so we can make it financially. This is the last thing I need.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:21PM

but my hair falling out was why I went to the doctor about 5 years ago and was diagnosed with diabetes. I had no clue that was a symptom. Have you been tested for diabetes type 2?

Good luck and my thoughts are with you!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:41PM

What about fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome?

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:43PM

I have been in medical non-diagnosis hell and you have my sympathy. There are many things that can cause you symptoms, I hope they figure it out. Not knowing is a terrible stress.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 10:45PM

I'm lighting a candle for you, vasalissasdoll. Heart is with you as well. ((hugs))

Posted by: americangirl406 ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:06PM

I'm praying for you!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:40PM

No praying here, vasalissasdoll, but I am doing a metta meditation with you as the focus. I'll be sending you daily images of you healthy, you happy, you brimming with joy, you employed at a solid wage.

Help me here-- are you blond/brunette/redhead and where are you geographically.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Pharmacist ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:51PM

Vitamin D deficiency can lead to many problems. High dose vitamin D (one of our cutting-edge MD's is recommending it -5,000 units/day. Seems a lot, but there's science to back this).
Also have your cortisol levels should be checked.

I won't light any candles, but I'm looking into good brands of vitamin D. I will post when I find the best one available..

Thyroid levels (on a laboratory value) do not necessarily reflect true thyroid levels. There's something called reverse T-3, when T-4 is not converted to active T-3.

Date: October 04, 2011 11:57PM

Thank you for that!

I'd thought about a vitamin issue, specifically issues with B deficiency.

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:32AM

Found out I have a vitamin D deficiency, and when I started taking vitamin D supplements, I couldn't believe the difference it made.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:53AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 09:58AM by FreeRose.

Date: October 04, 2011 11:51PM

Thanks Anagrammy...

I'm in BYU-I territory...and we're friended on Facebook, I believe. I'll send you a hi over there!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 12:50AM

I have been lost since the change in FB. I just barely figured it out and then Wham, I have gazillion "friends" I do not recognize. Give me a shout out when you have time, or email me. You know you have a lot of support here.

Best

Ana

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 03, 2011 11:48PM

I was given some kind of big nut or seed from Poland that is supposed to be lucky. I keep it in my pocket. I'll rub that nut ten times for you while thinking the good thoughts that anagrammy said.

Date: October 04, 2011 11:58PM

Thanks everyone...

Doctor was sick, so I'm seeing another member of his practice tomorrow.

I'm glad, because this was my first chance to see this thread again. I'm adding suggestions to my notes from here!

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:35AM

Also, don't hesitate to get the very best doctor you can if this doesn't start working out. I don't know the area you live in but I live in a rural area, and while I like many of the docs here in our county, the hospitals UCSF and Stanford are capable of a level of care simply not available here, including diagnosis.

Date: October 05, 2011 11:26AM

I'm actually familiar with the amazing level of care at Stanford, since I had my second at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital. Really amazing facilities.

I'm in the shadow of BYU-I right now, and this is a new doctor for me. He was fairly certain it would be either hormone issues or thyroid, so I'm going to see how this goes. If it's not fruitful, I'll get a second opinion like nwmcare suggests.

One way or another, I'm getting to the bottom of this.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:39AM

Have you ever thought of a second opinion? Doctors have been known to not know what is wrong with their patients or to have just been wrong in their diagnosis.

Try getting a new doctor. You might just start feeling better.

Posted by: Matt nli still at work ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 07:16AM

'tis done! Plus good vibes!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:35AM

Hope the doc finds out what's going on.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 03:25AM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 02:06PM

Ever watch Mystery Diagnosis? Sometimes there are things going on that are very difficult to pin down.
My best wishes.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 02:17PM

Have you had your iron levels checked? You have to demand a serum ferritin test, not just hemoglobin. I'll add a link to all the symptoms low iron levels can cause and see if they fit your current problems.

I hope it's ok to add this....

http://www.thewayup.com/newsletters/081504.htm

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:48PM

I will pray, light a candle (at my house), send good vibrations~~~anything to help the resolution come to fruition. I have had some frustrating issues like the ones you are experiencing and it does become very frustrating when the cause of issues are elusive. Hope you get relief soon. :)

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 05:56AM

I always enjoy your posts.

Hope they find out how to help you.

All the best from Paris

Tom

Posted by: Fran ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:31AM

Longtime lurker wanting to throw out a couple of additional thoughts: have you been taking heartburn medication long-term? The side effects of PPI are amazing.

And aside from *low* iron, you might want to be tested for hemochromatosis, which is iron *0verload* especially if you're of northern European descent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.