Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: skittles21 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:31AM

Has anyone asked for financial help from the church? I lost my job and I just need help for this month. Do you think they will help? Would love to hear others stories!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 12:40AM by skittles21.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:40AM

I paid tithing for the last 30 yrs and lost my house and job and family all in the same year. My 3 children played soccer with all the kids of the members of the bishoprick's kids for years. I had remodled houses for bish and 2nd counselors and had what I thought were friendships.......not a visit, not a dime from the church to date. Ive been out of work for 2 yrs. getting by as a handyman.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 12:51AM

I know someone who was out of work recently and sought help. It was a very unpleasant experience because of the way the bishop handled it, but they got help. And they are determined never to go back for help again.

I know someone else who got a LOT of help over many years. As far as I know they were treated very generously by some bishops, but others were less willing to help.

If you need help, you might consider food banks, government agencies, or even another church. Less blame and strings attached.

Posted by: donttakethisserious ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 01:18AM

Offer to give him a blow job it will work wonders

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:26AM

If the bishop feels that you are "worthy" of the help then you'll get it. If he doesn't feel you're "worthy" then either you won't get any help or, if you do, you will be made to feel ashamed for asking.

Posted by: kmackie ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:50AM

I payed tithing ect; for 27 years,my hubby is nevermo,he became sick about 3 years ago and was off work for 10 weeks,his employer only pays 6 weeks sick pay,after that we had to rely on government sick pay,just over £70 a week,I asked for help,the bishop and one of his counsellors came to our home,they told us we could have a food shop to the value of £60 and the RS president would go with me to get it,on leaving our home the counsellor said "make sure you spend it on the RIGHT THINGS,both hubby and I were astonished,we have always been prudent(had to be cos hubby on low pay)this was one of the things that contributed to my resignation.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 05:06AM

my experience of asking for financial help was when I lost my job in the 1980's recession.
I had a pretty decent bishop (he eventually gave me some part-time work) but it was made clear that if I needed money, I should approach family, friends and anyone else but the church.
At the time, I had been paying a solid tithe for 2-3 years

As a member, I helped deliver food for people on welfare but never directly had any knowledge of people getting real, financial help.... (just because I didnt know about it doesnt mean it didnt happen, but - with the church being the rumour mill it is - you think you'd hear something)

In the current climate, I cant imagine the church has become any more generous with welfare now, than it has been in the past

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 05:53AM

If you don't mind receiving money from an exmo, I have a no-strings-attached $50.00 bill with your name on it. Violinharvest@yahoo.com

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 04:37PM

Thanks for the email. Contact Susan IS. Ask her if she would not mind being the go between. Then I can send the money to Susan IS, and she can forward it to you. I don't give out my address either.

Deadline: Saturday, 8 October, 2011 is the deadline for this offer. Sunday, the 9th the $50.00 goes in the plate at church for funding the food bank in Crab Orchard.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 05:41PM

It depends on the bishop. I'd say if you are active and are paying tithing, give it a try, worst case scenario will be no, or maybe at least food orders.

In general training meetings we are told to help the poor but face-to-face I've heard that bishops help with food orders so that the member can use their cash flow for the other expenses. But I have also heard of people being assisted with cash. I don't know if this is the same across the church but this is how it is in this area.

D

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 05:45PM

My father was out of full-time work for 2 1/2 years and church welfare was probably the only thing keeping things together.

Of course, my parents were still giving 10% of their income as TBM members... I imagine that 10% would have taken care of things nicely.

Posted by: blacksheep ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 05:52AM

Recently, I asked my TBM parents for financial help. I was in, what I thought was a desperate and impossible situation (moving cross country can be expensive, also we had to pay the housing ppl at the place we were moving from and also the place we're moving to and some other stuff) long story short: they said no. My husband and I managed to make it work. We sold everything we possible could. We did extra stuff around the neighborhood to make money. We were able to make enough money that our trip (which we are still on) has been comfortable. I am SO GLAD I DIDN'T GET THE HELP FROM MY PARENTS. So what I'm trying to say is that you might be able to go through hoops and get help from the church, but in the long run, are you going to regret going that route? They will use that fact that they helped you out. I don't know if you would have to pay them back... but I just think that if there is any other possible way, I'd do that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.