Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 10:46AM

I posted this as a reply on another post, but since it's gone from the irst pages, I thought I would post again.

From Canada, if I'm reading the forms right, Canadian mormons "donated" over $150 million to SLC, that is after all expenses for all wards and anything that operates here in Canada.

And the Church assets at the end of 2010 here are $691,140,110, that is CDN dollars, which has been slightly higher than the US dollar in the last months. The assets include over 1/2 million in land and properties and over 90 million in cash/bank accounts/short-term investments.

I checked a few years and it seems the laundering, I mean transfer of funds to SLC has been consistently around 150 million a year.

And there is no money for custodians because it must have take a big chunk of the few millions the Church has here in Canada to maintain the buildings.

Sad, just sad.

D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dan McKenzie ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 10:49AM

I'm from Canada where did you get these figures? I'd like to be able to look a them.Thanks

Date: October 05, 2011 10:57AM

Hi Dan,

I got them from the Canada Revenue Agensite website, here is the link, you can search by the church name, it lists every ward. I looked at the church in Canada listing.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/lstngs/menu-eng.html

WARNING: After I found about this site, I've never been able to see the church the same again. It may happen to you too =)

D

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 10:56AM

A few years ago Bob McCue, who deals with this sort of thing for a living, pointed out that an organization can choose to list its assets either as the purchase price, or the current value if they were to sell the asset.

LDS Inc owns a lot of ranch land in Alberta which it has had for quite some time, and it has no doubt appreciated substantially in that time. The $691 million in assets very likely substantially understates the actual present value of the Canadian assets of LDS Inc.

Date: October 05, 2011 11:03AM

Very good point, and with the little understanding of how the church operated it is not surprising.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:01AM

Are these the wards that no longer exist? I found 15 of them.

Date: October 05, 2011 11:14AM

Like in revoked charities? The organization is no longer considered a charity organization.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:20AM

Maybe I need a cup of coffee.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.