Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:41PM

Well it's pretty much official. Yesterday, I sent out my "So long and thanks for all the fish" letter on my blog.
If you're interested here it is.

http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/2011/10/king-swing.html

My wife and kids are being incredibly supportive and a few LDS friends have even said that they are cool with whatever I decided was best. However, I'm under no delusion that this weekend at the in-laws is going to be uneventful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tsawyer2 ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 03:53PM

Your blog post was a very good read. Congratulations to you and I hope you find that path you are looking for.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 04:07PM

I loved your analogy!!

I loved it for many reasons, not the least being that I'm a nature lover, too. But what I liked best about it is that you emphasize that your leaving the cult is a POSITIVE move--a bit extreme, but positive--to move upward!

Well done! I hope you can guide your wife and children upward, as well. >^..^<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 04:08PM by forestpal.

Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 04:23PM

Fantastic metaphor. Congratulations and good luck in moving on. It's so great to hear about the support your wife and children are giving you. Open-mindedness and acceptance seem so rare to experience when dealing with TSCC.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 04:25PM

peregrine:

Hopefully, now you and your wife can walk around with a "pair 'o grins". Get it??? :)

Ron

Posted by: wondering.. ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 05:38PM

I am in agreement with you. I am in your ward yet in secret. I support you also and have had many questions over the years and my heart is not in it. It is my wife that is TBM! Sometime you and I will talk and you will find out who I am! For now I wish you all the best.

Date: October 05, 2011 07:01PM

I look forward to that conversation. If there's anything I can do to help just let me know. Unless you say otherwise your secret will be safe with me.

Date: October 05, 2011 07:03PM

Thanks everybody. I've always had a brain that worked better in metaphors. My wife and kids are all at various stages from TBM to complete atheist. I'm doing my best to let them make their own decisions. I'm just making sure they make those decisions with their eyes completely open.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 06:28PM

Well put. Though a stop by the liquor store couldn't hurt. BTW I don't like heights, so even your little itsy-bitsy square of a video gave me the willies.

Date: October 07, 2011 10:24AM

yeah that scene will probably stop my mom from reading any further too.

So far the response has been nothing but positive. Two of my brothers have called and we've had long pleasent talks. I've swapped a few emails with a TBM friend and she just wanted to let me know that she would always consider our family as friends and this didn't change anything. I was expecting Facebook friends to start unfriending me but even that hasn't happened so far.
My wife and I had a long talk with our kids last night. I let them know firmly where I stand but that I would continue to support them in what ever they wanted to do. It went very well.
Still expecting some fallout from the in-laws but hoping for the best.

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 01:11PM

Good luck, Peregrine. Happy your wife and kids are supporting you.

You mentioned this weekend with your in-laws - was this a pre-planned gathering, or something that has come up since you posted your announcement?

Date: October 07, 2011 01:58PM

It's kind of a standing thing for us to go over on Friday. We drop the kids off and have a date night.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.