Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 04:43PM

My dear wonderful son got this piece of shitass guilt-tripping letter in the mail today! And get the late date, too! For crying out loud, he's only in middle school, too!!!!!!!!!!! O_o

September 2, 2011

Dear Brother Sonofimalive:

You are hereby called to attend a missionary preparation activity for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the XXXXXXX Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of seven hours.

You should report to the XXXXX Ward in XXXXXXXX on Saturday, November 5, 2011. You will gain an excitement for missioary work, stengthen and build your testimony, and learn practical skills beneficial to every missionary.

As an attendee of this activity, you will be expected to maintain (the) highest standards of conduct and appearance by keeping the commandments, living the mission rules, and following the counsel of your mission president.

You will also be expected to devote all your time and attention to serving the Lord, leaving behind all other personal affairs (including your cell phone!). As you do these things, the Lord will bless you and you will become an effective advocate and messenger of the truth. We place in you our confidence and pray that the Lord will help you meet your responsibilities.

the Lord will reward the goodness of your life. Greater blessings and more happiness than you have yet experienced await you as you humble and prayerfully prepare to serve the Lord in this future labor of love among His children.

We ask that you lease return your written acceptence to your ward/branch youth leader by October 2, 2011

XXXXXXX Missionary Preparation Committee

OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!!! My jaw just dropped at this piece of shit as my son read the letter to me. It was hard for him to do that because he was cracking up and laughing so hard he had quite a time getting the words out. Even his friend who was visiting said, "What's that piece of shit you got in the mail?" It's a wonder my head didn't explode because I sure was seeing red and steam was coming out my ears.

Even pseudo serving for seven hours is seven hours too long as far as I'm concerned!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:-(

What really made me scream bloody murcher was the phrase "you will become an effective advocate AND MESSENGER OF THE TRUTH." OH MY FUCKING GOD! The only thing he would be parroting is goddamn fucking contrived correlated version that is so full of poison it's sickening!

What a fucking pile of manipulating, guilt tripping pricking shit! I so wanna find out who wrote this TSCC/Droopy Dog inspired pile of steaming turd letter and grab his lower lip and pull it over his head and rip his teeny tiny balls off! After that, I will take this person to the nearest insane asylum and make him be forced to get a lobotomy so he canot pull anything as fucked up as this ever again!

My son wants to take a picture of himself taking a lighter to this retard letter and watching it burn, bwaa haa haa. I shall be most happy to oblige. Too bad I can't post that picture in this forum as you see him sporting a big grin and telling TSCC to go to hell. :-D

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 06:04PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 04:47PM

I would have your son mail a return reply that says:

"I will accept this call, upon the five points of fellowship, at the veil."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 06:04PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 05:46PM

Or go even further and type up some of the temple ceremony and have him state that he is preparing by memorizing the endowment. LOL

TSCC must be losing the young teens in droves and are coming up with more ways to "indoctrinate" the youth. Glad your son saw through the charade. :-D

Date: October 05, 2011 05:49PM

Now that's inspired.

If they're going to send him on a "faux" mission, then they ought to give him a "faux" endowment, as well.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 07:42PM

That'd be awesome.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 04:48PM

You can take a picture of him laughing and burning it and mail it to the appropriate person as the requested respond by...

Mormonism ... just when you think it can't get weirder or more inappropriate.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 04:50PM

So someone clue me in here as a nonmormon...
I've talked with several mormons who say being a missionary is a "Calling"...meaning it is divine inspiration. Does the divine inspiration only come from church leaders...with NO inspiration coming from the young man??

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that letter is worded as a DIRECTIVE, not as a request..inspired or otherwise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2011 02:25PM by Susan I/S.

Date: October 05, 2011 04:53PM

..if you're part of the kolobian aristocracy you might get some say in where you go on your mission. At the very least they'll send you to a country which is predominantly poor and superstitious so you'll have a higher chance of baptizing.

Regular folks will go where they're told to go by the financial analysts at the church office building.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 07:37PM

"Calling" is one of many words that have been redefined amongst mormons.

To pretty much everybody else, as far as I know, a calling comes from within the person who feels called to ... whatever.

You are absolutely correct that calling, to mormons, only come from higher UPS, and are delivered as directed.
They use the same wording "I received a calling"... never mentioning who delivered the call. It wasn't god, it was the bishop, or his lackey.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 07:43PM

When I read your post about callings that "only come from higher UPS," for a moment I wondered why these letters are being delivered by UPS rather than the regular mail.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 05:51PM

I suspect this is one one of the many 'inspired' activities the YM and YW presidencies has come up with and has nothing to do with the COB. A similar letter was sent to my daughter as part of a similar activity. It's to make 'em feel spechul. Like they were divinely called by the 'anointed'. Not sure I'd freak about it so much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 06:05PM by Susan I/S.

Date: October 05, 2011 06:03PM

Considering the fucking bullshit Droopy Dog Hollandaise Sauce pulled with his tirade guilt trip about youth and seniors should be serving missions, and the way my son has been really guilt tripped in the past in my ward to do shit makes me pissed.

Early last year, when he was BARELY made a deacon, he was in the YM Sunday School class when there was some fucked up lesson about how to prepare oneself to serve a mission. Pieces of paper were handed out to the young men as they were to list ways to prepare themselves to serve a mission. My son just folded the piece of paper into an airplane and flew it right out the window. :-D

Then one of the counselors in the bishopric was told about this, got all steaming mad, and pulled my husband out of EQ, ranting about the incident. DH just shurgged his shoulders and asked what the big deal was bwaa haa haa. Then DH answered, "Good grief, he's only TWELVE! We'll worry about this when he turns 16." The counselor just looked at him like the roof had fallen down on him. Bwaa haa haa.

I am just fed up with the way these Young Men who are barely teens are having the guilt trip shit about how they HAVE TO serve a mission being shoved down their throats, that's all.>:-(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 06:08PM by imalive.

Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 07:58PM

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:05PM

I think its more likly that its some sort of YM or Seminary stuff. Not official. Scary though.

Date: October 05, 2011 06:15PM

Yes guilt tripping scary and I'll be dammed if I'll ever let TSCC pull a guilt trip on him big time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:39PM

perhaps you meant 'not from ChurchCo Central'

EVERYTHING that leaders sanction, prepare, present is 'Official', since they're called to do it!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:00PM

D-bag: This is the commitment pattern, it is totally cool to help the Spirit Convert people.

Imalive: You see, son. This is a high pressure sales technique. It's used when the product can't sell itself.

D-bag: You have to keep the commandments in order to spread the gospel effectively.

Imalive: Son, this is how they get you. When your sales pitch fails, and it WILL fail, the majority of the time, the "leaders" have their asses covered by pretending like it was YOUR failure somehow.

It's called magical thinking.

Imalive's son: Thanks mom, you are the fucking coolest bitch at this shit.

Date: October 05, 2011 06:10PM

ROTFLMAO thank you Raptor. I gotta meet you one of these days. :-D

Posted by: Mikeylikesit ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 12:00PM

Classic man....love that committment pattern. Don't forget to lower your voice and tempo and bear your testimony!!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:02PM

OMG! What a blatant brainwashing extravaganza!

Posted by: YeahItsMe ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:03PM

This is a letter from seminary. I got it every year of the 4 years I was in seminary in high school in Utah Valley. It's ridiculous. They must have your son on their rolls, whether he goes to seminary or not. I'd contact the seminary about it. And if he so chooses (and it sounds like he does!) remove his name from the records of the church. And he won't have to be bothered for the rest of his life. I'm only 26 and ever since I got my name removed last year, it's been great not being bothered. :-) Please update us on what you do! Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 06:05PM by Susan I/S.

Date: October 05, 2011 06:07PM

My DS is only in his early teens and isn't attending seminary yet. Plus my DH has made it clear he wants the kids to attend all three hours of church until they graduate from high school, then they can decide whether or not to go. So if DS does want to resign, he'll need to wait until then. But DH and I both will respect whatever choices our two kids make in life about their beliefs, TSCC or not.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:19PM

You are hereby called to shove this letter where the sun don't shine.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:23PM

You can borrow my temple robes for the picture. Best get a veil shot of the five points I'm thinking. That would show mormonism is just as normal as any church!

Posted by: onlyme ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:33PM

When I served in a stake young men's presidency we did something like this. It was called "School of the Missionaries". Every youth (even the young women!!) got "called" and got their fake country assignment when they showed up at the event. We had different sessions for them on things like cooking for yourself, laundry, tracting techniques, prayer, etc.

At the time our stake (in NC) had something like one or two young men out on missions. This was an effort to get the kids excited about serving a mission and get that number up.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:36PM

tell them he needs access to ChurchCo records/History, Financial & non-financial so he can Teach the Truth!

he wants to go PREPARED!

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 08:44PM

How old is your son? If he's under age 18, I think your first step should be taking this letter to a lawyer and making him/her aware of the fact the Mormon Church is demanding your son's involvement without first gaining parental permission.

Or, if not a lawyer, take it to the local newspaper. Or radio/TV station.

Make this known.

Posted by: Odell Campbell ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:26AM

have you considered the benefits of resignation?

The local stake/ward sent your son an invitiation because he's listed as a church member - that doesn't seem so inappropriate to me.

Churches send invitiations to church members.

If you don't want to be on the list, resign.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 09:42AM

It's a trick. They had one of those in our stake and the boys had to clean toilets for 4 hours then played basketball for the remaining 3.

Ron

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 12:07PM

Posted by: jeebusinasidecar ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 12:40PM

When I was in YW we did one of these faux-missionary activity things as well. Because we were YWs though, it didn't last as long, we got dinner, and we went faux-tracting at the houses of people who were already members. Mostly, we presented the first missionary discussion-though it was hard for me to answer the questions about what we believe, and if I had a testimony (I didn't, but I pretended I did). A couple of my YW friends did actually do some practice tracting with the local Sister mishies.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 12:56PM

Does he now have to wear a white shirt and tie?
Can he no longer swim?
Does he have to get up and 5:30 and retire by 10?
Daily prayer and scripture study?
No dating?
Only church music?

You see how far this can go? My son last night (who is 16), with a smile said, "Do you remember how you wanted me to serve a mission?" I replied, "Good thing I got out of that crap and spared you that experience."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.