Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:11PM

I have been renting a room in a townhouse for the last few months and finally asked my roommate (home owner) if she thought there was a ghost in the house. She told me that a friend who stayed over said there was the ghost of a little girl in who lived in the upstairs hall by the bathroom.

Which would explain what has been happening to me. Twice while sitting on the toilet in the middle of the night, I have seen a dark shape go across the door (which was open). It was out of the corner of my eye but enough to block the light that was coming from my open bedroom door. It seemed low, so that fits in with a child. Plus I hear occasional bumbs in the attic.

I had a ghost in an apartment that unscrewed light bulbs among other things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:22PM

Sounds like a spooky experience. But I'll believe it when I see it, not someone else:)

Date: October 05, 2011 06:40PM

Jonny the Smoke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like a spooky experience. But I'll believe
> it when I see it, not someone else:)

Having dealt with ghosts before, the first incident I thought was weird but put it away. I tried to think what would have caused the light to blot out. It was summer...a power brown out, but no, the lights in the bathroom did not dim. When it happened the second time I realized it was a ghost. With my first ghost it took me months to figure it out because 1. I didn't want to and 2. I had no prior experience.

I also had a ghost experience as a kid at girl scout camp. I was getting water from a spigot and I turned away with my bucket and the water came on full force. No one was there. Also one night we saw a lighted ball travel through the woods and then circle around our tent (large tent on a platform with the sides up). Many years later I saw a video of floating orbs that are supposed to be spirits and that was what I saw. As a kid it was too weird to consider, I never even spoke about it.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 07:11PM

I'm curious what exactly does the word "ghost" mean to you? It seems like everyone has a different definition.

So far you've described:

1. An invisible being who can manipulate matter (turning on the spigot, unscrewing light bulbs)
2. A small dark spot you viewed out of the corner of your eye (that blocked light so must be material)
3. A glowing orb flying through the air

Also, did your friend tell you about the little girl ghost before or after you saw the spot out of the corner of your eye?

Date: October 05, 2011 11:29PM

kolobian Wrote:
> I'm curious what exactly does the word "ghost"
> mean to you? It seems like everyone has a
> different definition.
>
> So far you've described:
>
> 1. An invisible being who can manipulate matter
> (turning on the spigot, unscrewing light bulbs)
> 2. A small dark spot you viewed out of the corner
> of your eye (that blocked light so must be
> material)
> 3. A glowing orb flying through the air
>
> Also, did your friend tell you about the little
> girl ghost before or after you saw the spot out of
> the corner of your eye?

I asked her if she thought he house had a ghost and then she told me about her friend saying there was a little girl who hung out in the hall by the bathroom.

What I saw was something that mometarily blocked the light from the door. Like someone darted across the doorway. But low to the ground.

A ghost can manifest itself in many ways and perform physical actions. Read books about accounts of haunted places. Lots of weird shit happens.

People who don't believe in ghosts don't believe in them until they experience them. Even then I have a friend who as a child saw a large pair of glowing eyes (like an animal with light reflected) peer around the door of her bedroom at the height of an adult. Her sister saw it too. She has no logical explanation for it. Her sister believed it was a ghost.

It is arrogence to think one knows all the mysteries of the universe.

Date: October 06, 2011 12:07PM

<<<<It is arrogence to think one knows all the mysteries of the universe.>>>>

I agree. It's silly for anyone to think they have everything figured out.

That's why belief freaks me out. Once you choose to believe something you automatically preclude all other possibilities.

You say you believe your experiences are evidence of ghosts. Are you saying you believe it's impossible that there are any other explanations besides "ghosts?" There's not even a chance that something else could be going on?

Posted by: alight ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 07:05PM

believing in ghosts makes you want to see them, and people see whatever they want to see

Posted by: missguided ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:22PM

So she says. Im reluctant to believe in spirits and ghosts, but hey, no one knows everthing there is to know in the universe. Maybe i just wasnt born with the gift.

This will be interesting...

:)

Posted by: HooeyMinns ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 06:47PM

Why don't you try to capture some of these apparitions on video and upload 'em to youtube?

Date: October 05, 2011 06:52PM

Date: October 05, 2011 07:00PM

HooeyMinns Wrote:
> Why don't you try to capture some of these
> apparitions on video and upload 'em to youtube?

This has happened twice in two months. no way to predict when it will happen. Also, now that there is a male roommate, I will not be on the can in the middle of the night with the door open. I just have a video camera on my phone, nothing I could set up to film all night long and then have to review the film the next day.

Posted by: FoShoMo ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 08:09PM

Although I am heading towards being atheist, I had a crazy experience as a teenager. I didn't see a ghost or anything like that. But my Dad had died from cancer about a year before this and he was TBM all the way hardcore strict. He didn't like rated R or even PG-13 movies in the house and when he'd find them he would literal dispose of them (one time he found one we had borrowed from the neighbors across the street...so he returned it by throwing it across the street and I watched as it shattered all over their driveway!) Oh and he would also place a lock on our television so we couldn't watch TV sometimes. So to say the least, he was a Nazi TBM Dad, yes I know he cared about what his kids were being exposed too. But give us some free agency! So anyway, about a year after he died, I rented an old "scary" movie from the library called "Let's Scare Jessica To Death" (haha sounds so lame now!) it was from 1971 and seemed scary to me at the time. So i watched it and at 15, i'll admit i got a little freaked out. After watching the show i walked upstairs a little freaked out and went into my bedroom where i had two pictures of Jesus on different walls of my room and right after I walked in the room the one closest to me fell down, and then seconds after the other one fell down on the other side of the room!!!! (No windows were open and those pics NEVER fell down before that) I was FREAKING out and got so scared and ran and told my Mom about what had happened (she was very lax on movies/tv shows so she didn't care that it was rated R) and she told me to return the movie ASAP, which I did. Looking back now, (and remember I am borderline Atheist, don't believe in a Jesus either) But my only explanation is that my Dad somehow communicated to me that he didn't approve of me watching that movie and so he communicated it in his way of communication, using religion, jesus, etc. I don't know what to think about it, as I am not sure about life after death either. But my theory sure makes sense as a possibility! Who knows though.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 08:17PM

And possess the drier to eat one of every pair of socks!

Date: October 05, 2011 11:35PM

Raptor Jesus Wrote:
> And possess the drier to eat one of every pair of
> socks!

damn you, RJ, I don't want any bad ghosts!! And I just bought all new socks (by buying them in bulk, navy and black, I know that they will all match.).

I read about using a smudge stick to chase out ghosts. I think I will give it a try. You can also encourage them to move on instead of being stuck on earth.

Laugh all you want....one day YOU might get yourself a ghost experience. You either block it out and forget it (what I did with the girlscout camp experience) or you try and come up with "logical" explanations. None of which are logical when applied to the situation.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:50PM

"Demon sleep" is what mine turned out to be.

Aka Sleep paralysis.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:45PM

I've had several ghost experiences. Today I know what happened to me, but I don't claim to understand exactly what it is that I experienced. I'll relate just a few.

The first was when I was 16. I woke up one night to see a man standing in my doorway. I thought it was my father, so I called out, "Dad? .... Dad?" I received no answer.

Then as I began to wake up more fully, I realized that my Dad wouldn't be standing in the doorway, in the middle of the night, wearing what looked like a black outfit, maybe a cape, and there was a definite black hat on the head.

Then I began to get nervous. I sort of sank down under the covers more and was just peeking at the figure over the top of my blankets. It stood there for a few minutes and then it turned and headed towards my sister's room. I slept with my door closed after that, because I didn't want to see down the hallway anymore.

When I was about 30, I woke up to discover that the lamp beside my bed was on. I don't sleepwalk. The lamp's switch was so tight, that I practically needed a wrench to turn it on and off, so I didn't use it much anymore. My door was locked. It was startling. Soon after that, I awoke one night to find a face looking down at me. No body. Just a face.

My eyes went huge, and it copied my facial expression, and then just started fading out gradually, until it disappeared.

The last experience I had was about 5 years ago. I was standing outside an airport terminal, waiting for my friend to pick me up after I'd arrived home from California. She was really late and I was getting rather upset, figuring she'd forgotten about me.

Someone shoved my shoulder, so figuring it was my friend, I turned around to say, "There you are! Where have you been?" But there was no one there. I looked around and realized that there was no one within 100 yards of me. With my friend being late, everyone on the platform had already been picked up, leaving me standing there alone.

It was the most bewildering feeling, starting at blank air, where there should have been a person. That's the second time I'd been shoved in my life, only to find no one there.

I don't claim to understand any of these things. I can only promise that I'm telling the truth. I'm about 95-97% atheist, so I figure there are normal explanations, but I remain open-minded. Doubtful, but somewhat open-minded anyway. Perhaps that's because of my experiences. Perhaps not. I'm not sure.

Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: October 05, 2011 11:56PM

I heard a little girl scream "ow!" upstairs in my house and there wasn't anyone outside playing...(my dad heard the same thing at the same time). later the next day, my parents heard the same thing themselves except in a whisper. Never seen a ghost though. I often hear unexplained noises in my house too. I like to think that there's a spirit world and I can't come to believe that this is just something people make up in their minds.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 12:45AM

"Jay, we've got the themal-cam and the full-spectrum mini-DVR set up in the bathroom--if you like the angles we can lock them down."

"Okay Steve, have Tango sit on the crapper with the EMF meter and do an EVP session"

EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) session excerpt: "Hello, is there the ghost of a little girl here who likes to watch me sit on the toilet?"

Date: October 06, 2011 12:52AM

And after a loud fart on the crapper the EVP picks up a voice, that sounds surprisingly like Steve Martin's saying "well, excuuuuse me!"

I don' think she gets off on watching, I got the impression that it was darting across the door like hide and seek. I didn't claim to know it was a little girl, it just seemed like a benign spirit, it was another person who stayed in the house who claimed they saw it was a little girl. THAT would have freaked me out.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 03:25AM

Carl Sagan said in his book "The Demon Haunted World" that hallucinations are a normal part of how the brain functions every day but we have so much going on consciously that most of the time we don't notice our hallucinations. It's only during rare moments that our regular thinking fades into the background for a moment and our hallucinations come into the foreground and we notice. His theory had something to do with us having something like waking dreams going on simultaneous with our rational thoughts throughout the day.

Most of those experiences of an evil presence at night or in the morning, in between being awake and asleep, are caused by the brain transitioning from the dreaming state to conscious awareness. I used to have lots of those sleep paralysis experiences where I was sure a dark man or evil spirit was in my room looking down at me or sitting on my chest or going to overpower me with evil.

I tend to believe Carl Sagan's theory that we have an ongoing tendency to hallucinate as part of our normal brain activity.

Posted by: nevermo-beck ( )
Date: October 07, 2011 12:51PM

+100

Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 04:16AM

OT..sort of..well, is halloween themed anyway.

How do you get a witch pregnant? Screw her. Tee hee!

Posted by: justanotherprettypiece ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 05:03AM

I don't really know what to think as far as ghost sightings go. My brother (who is exmo, an athiest, very skeptical) had a few experiences at one of his past jobs. The place was apparently haunted, a number of people experienced things. He was closing up one night (was completely alone) when someone shouted in his ear, VERY LOUD, right beside him. There was no one there. His wife was there one time, too, and they both heard a man shouting.

My neighbor's upstairs shower glass recently exploded. Her and her husband were both downstairs at the time and they heard a huge BOOM, went to look and found the glass had shattered and continued to shatter into smaller pieces for 15 minutes after. When she told me this I was astonished but didn't think anything supernatural about it. I looked it up online, just curious for an explanation, and was humored to find people online claiming it must be a ghost. There is a scientific explanation for the glass shattering and it was funny how some people immediately jumped to ghosts being the reason.

The only creepy experience I've had was getting a loud screaming in my ear while sleeping, trying desperately to wake up but not being able to. It's only happened a few times in my life and has not happened for several years. It generally happened when I was either drifting into sleep or out of sleep. When I was younger I thought I was being haunted, I also experienced the sensation of someone sitting on my stomach. But after further research it just has to do with being half awake/ half asleep.

So in conclusion, I know there are scientific reasons for some things but others I just don't know how to explain. So I don't really know what to believe as far as ghosts, etc.

Date: October 06, 2011 02:26PM

Hallucinations would have to be on a large scale to cause four girls to see the same thing. For several minutes. I have seen video tapes of orbs and they can be quite directional, moving with speed and changing directions. This thing circled our tent several times and then went off into the woods. The camp couselors said it was a glow worm. Not.

I have watched ghost hunters and such programs and at times they have found explanations for certain things. Shadows on a wall were from headlights reflecting off one surface and picking up those walking outside. When my light bulbs unscrewed I attributed to the fact that the building vibrated because it was built near a busy road. But that would also have caused stuff to vibrate off shelves and that never happened. Also, one bulb unscrewed after one day. And is was in a lamp that was surrounded by boxes that I was unpacking, so I don't put any belief that there was a maintenace man who did it. The mainentance men were outside contractors and it took forever to get any work done (and when they were in my apartment they spent their time stealing my stuff).

Hallucinations do not cause water spigots to turn on full blast. It was the outdoor type that a hose attaches to. Mechanical failure would might cause it to leak, or to stay on or off, but not turn of full blast by itself.

Date: October 06, 2011 03:41PM

No one's saying the spigot turning on was a hallucination, or that the maintenance man unscrewed the lightbulb.

I'm asking if you think the "only" possible explanation is that "ghosts did it."

Do you think that it's possible that there are many possible explanations other than ghosts for all the different experiences you've had, and that each experience might even have different possible explanations than others?

Or are you absolutely positively certain that all these things were caused by ghosts?

Date: October 06, 2011 10:06PM

kolobian Wrote:
> No one's saying the spigot turning on was a
> hallucination, or that the maintenance man
> unscrewed the lightbulb.
>
> I'm asking if you think the "only" possible
> explanation is that "ghosts did it."
>
> Do you think that it's possible that there are
> many possible explanations other than ghosts for
> all the different experiences you've had, and that
> each experience might even have different possible
> explanations than others?
>
> Or are you absolutely positively certain that all
> these things were caused by ghosts?

water spigots don't turn on full force by themselves. No mechanical failure would cause that. There was no one but me there. So, what turned it on?

I guess it could be elves, but I don't beleive in elves.

I don't believe that the slacker maintenance men were unscrewing my lightbulbs. For one thing, the first bulb was on a table that was surrounded by boxes as I was unpacking, so even I didn't get to it for a few days. The apartment did have vibration from traffic but it would not have caused a bulb to unscrew when no other items were affected by it.

I also would wake up in the middle of the night, sitting up and turning on my light. I am a very light sleeper for out of place noises. Never in my live, before or after, have I done that.

So, what are the reasons for these things? Nice logical reasons.

Date: October 07, 2011 12:35PM

It sounds like you really want to blame these experiences on ghosts.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 02:32PM

Once upon a time, there was this New Englander who swears a ghost in a toga came to him several times telling him there were golden books in them 'air hills and that he'd show him where to dig them up. Scared the shit out of all kinds of folks.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 02:38PM

I’ve had several and some of which, were group sightings (more than just me). HOWEVER, I still am not sure that ghosts actually exist. I equate them to this analogy: Have you ever entered an elevator that has a VERY strong scent of food yet there isn’t anyone in the elevator with the food? You know immediatley that its left behind from someone who had been in the elevator before you. So, perhaps at some point down the road, science will explain ghosts this way. Below are my sightings:

1. At the Gettysburg Hotel a few years ago (which, has had many ghosts sightings, just Google it), my family and I were walking down the hallway towards our room when a scone light fixture went flying across the hallway horizontally and hit my adult son. This defied the law of gravity.

2. Once we entered our hotel room, a remote for the TV that was affixed to the wall with Velcro went flying across the room and hit my adult son. Once again this defied the law of gravity.

3. In the restaurant of the Gettysburg Hotel, my 4 year old grandson began waving at a large framed photo of Abraham Lincoln so we asked him what he was doing. He told us that the man in the picture was waving at him, so he waved back.

4. Many years ago a dear friend’s boyfriend died. After the funeral we were sitting on my front porch talking about her loss and saying that he was such an usual guy, that if there is an afterlife, he was probably up to trouble and tricks, which was his personality. When all of a sudden we both saw a large pack of dogs appear in the empty lot next to my house and disappear in the sky as if they were taking off for flight. We both saw this and were cold stone sober.

5. I used to work at UCLA and would be the first one to open the office each morning. One morning I opened the door and saw an older man in a suit sitting at my desk. He then faded away.

6. About a year ago when I got home from work a drawer in the office of my house was filled with water. It was not close to any plumbing and no one had been at my house that day, unless they broke in, took nothing and did this and left.

7. One time in Ireland, a friend and I saw a strange looking couple (short, VERY strange clothing that looked like something from Grimm’s Fairy Tales) came out of a door, crossed the street and as soon as we saw them disappear, the very same door opened and the very same couple came out, walked in front of us and disappeared down the alley like they had just done before. This could be explained by two sets of identical twins married to each other?

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 03:22PM

When we moved into our house 20 years ago may partner and I both felt there was a ghost there. The house is older and had a long history.

I never saw anything, just felt it on some deeper level. I had a strong feeling that it was someone with a strong emotional attachment to the house.

I did't think much of it, but some people came to our house and after they were there a while one of them said, "Did you know you have a ghost?" They all then went on to explain where and what they felt, but they talked about it like it was a "done deal."

Once we finished re-decorating (it was a major fixer-upper) I knew the ghost was gone and happy.

There is probably some logical explanation, but...

Posted by: nebularry ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 03:53PM

I've never seen a ghost or anything that might be interpreted as a ghost. I've never heard, felt or sensed anything that might be construed as "other-worldly".

Reading these stories got me to thinking. If a person claims to have seen one ghost, I might find that an amusing anecdote. If a person claims to have seen two I would find that suspicious. If a person claims to have seen more than two I'd say they had gone a little too far down the rabbit hole.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 06, 2011 10:32PM

nebularry Wrote:
> I've never seen a ghost or anything that might be
> interpreted as a ghost. I've never heard, felt or
> sensed anything that might be construed as
> "other-worldly".
>
> Reading these stories got me to thinking. If a
> person claims to have seen one ghost, I might find
> that an amusing anecdote. If a person claims to
> have seen two I would find that suspicious. If a
> person claims to have seen more than two I'd say
> they had gone a little too far down the rabbit
> hole.

I would agree with that if it happened on a constant basis, but for me, I'm 52 years old. We're talking events which happened at 16, 30 and 47, so there are many years between events. And again, I don't venture to explain them. I only know what happened to me and described them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.